276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Singing Sands

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Cornelia (First performed, Glasgow Citizens' Theatre, 1946) [as F. Craigie Howe]. [15] Revived, 1963, as by Gordon Daviot [16] Why should I mind Tommy knowing? There was nothing shameful about it. If he were a paralysed syphilitic he would accept Tommy’s help and sympathy. Why should he want to keep from Tommy’s knowledge the fact that he was sweating with terror because of something that didn’t exist?’ Tey gives us quite an in depth picture of the emotional toil Inspector Grant’s condition has on him. For instance soon after seeing the dead man, Inspector Grant seeks a ‘temporary death,’ seeing such a thing as an escape from his troubles. Moreover, his discomfort leads to him thinking about hell: Yes I think Tey’s use of setting does make an expedition in Scotland quite appealing. Nice you got to hear some singing sands, shame about the weather!

Very nice review. I’ve always liked this one, it’s probably my second favorite of her books. Not for the puzzle/mystery, which is basically a subplot, but for the state of Grant’s mind and the dreamy, philosophical quality of much of the prose. One of the commenters here described her writing as elegant and that’s a good term for it. The opening sequence on the train is one of my favorite book openings ever. There is also elegant humor in this book, such as Murdo Gallacher, Grant’s young cousin Pat, and the guest house on the island. Of course he too realises the unfairness of this thought, but it serves to highlight those occasional moments when you feel so annoyed that those around you aren’t suffering like you and therefore can’t comprehend what you are going through.

Terrain

A bridge over the outlet connects the smaller white sandy beach to the south with the larger main beach which runs for miles. It’s a popular spot for doing the “Bridge Run”, jumping into the waters from the bridge, but it can be dangerous as the water can be deceptively shallow at times. The Daughter of Time influenced later mystery writers, notably Barbara Mertz. Mertz, writing as Elizabeth Peters, refers explicitly to Tey in The Murders of Richard III (1974) which sets a country house murder mystery among a group who believe that Richard III was innocent.

I first read this book MANY MANY years ago, while on a loosely-planned visit to the UK. I remember being sufficiently taken by the notion of “singing sands” to get myself onto a MacBrayne Steamer ferry to the island of Eigg in the Hebrides, where there were said to be such sands – I seem to remember a distinct humming, despite a nasty rainstorm. Later re-reads of the book have been less enchanting, mostly because, as you say, the puzzle element really wasn’t very satisfactory, and the ending appeared rushed at best. I do like Tey, however, and think of her as a very elegant writer indeed. The Singing Sands on the island of Islay aren’t a result of consuming too much whisky, no. When walking along this beach, if you slide your shoes against the sand, it will make a singing sound. Very late to respond to your comment, but Iona, near where I grew up, allegedly has singing sands that entice people into the Atlantic, on the far side of the Island! Singing Sands has just reopened with major upgrades. I am sure that you are supposed to have the parking pass that is good at all locations including singing sands.in the Queue (1929) but I’ve never felt it was a strong effort by Tey and I have already reviewed The Singing Sands (1952) on the blog… and before you ask Brad, ‘No I’m not going to re-read Miss Pym Disposes’ […]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment