276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mr Manchester and the Factory Girl: The Story of Tony and Lindsay Wilson

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And what about the two other women mentioned in that tweet from A Certain Ratio in 2016? When Factory started, Tina Simmons worked for independent record label and distributor Pinnacle. Tina was Pinnacle’s Label and Production Manager and started to work as Factory’s distribution rep in 1979. She later joined Factory to run its international licensing, following in Lindsay Reade’s footsteps. A poignant chronicle of love and loss, Mr Manchester and the Factory Girl also presents an incisive portrait of the unique individuals and often fraught relationships that shaped the life of a modern legend." Book launch Today’s stars of indie are greatly indebted to The Stone Roses. They showed, by embracing the punk ethos, that you didn’t need technical efficiency to be a good band – great songwriting and a real belief in what you do was their key to success. Wilson could have further advanced his broadcasting career in London, but he chose to stay in his hometown of Manchester and work at Granada Television where he became a mainstay on programs such as Granada Reports. Since his death, the city continues to reflect his influence. Why was he such a booster for the city at a time when its fortunes seemed bleak by the 1970s?

Everybody after the first album thought The Stone Roses was all to do with John Squire, and I used to go round to people and say, ‘nobody’s getting it’. This band wasn’t about John Squire; this band was to do with the chemistry of Ian Brown, Mani and Reni, and their taste just as much as it was about the brilliant guitar playing and guitar heroing of John Squire. Their interest in music was so diverse. As he often said, he was born at the right time, to be at the right age when a lot of this happens. So there he is, 1968–he's 18, beginning university, absolutely head in the right place to be taking opportunity. He often said sometimes he wasn’t necessarily believing in the philosophy of Situationism, but he liked the slogans and the energy. He was a provocateur from a very early age. He loved debates at school, he loved arguing with you. Even if he agreed with you, he likes an argument, he'd like to drill down into something and find out whether it was of use to him. In 2006 he became the regional political presenter for the BBC's The Politics Show. He presented a weekly radio show on Xfm Manchester – Sunday Roast – and a show on BBC Radio Manchester. In October he joined Blur bassist Alex James, Blue Peter presenter Konnie Huq and previously unknown presenter Emily Rose to host the 21st century version of the 1980s music programme, The Tube, for Channel 4 Radio which ran until 2 March 2007. His final music TV show was filmed in December 2006 for Manchester's Channel M. Only one episode, entitled "The New Friday", was recorded before Wilson became ill. He is a member of famous Journalist with the age 57 years of age./b> group. Tony Wilson How tall, Weight & MeasurementsThe breakdown in the relationship between Ian and John was very severe. John got heavily into cocaine, and he got very into… everything was him. He believed the hype that the whole thing was him. Dave Simpson (10 August 2020). " 'You've been smoking too much!': the chaos of Tony Wilson's digital music revolution". The Guardian . Retrieved 10 August 2020. Peter Hook and Lindsay Reade cover 'Telstar' on Factory Records rarities compilation". FACT Magazine. 17 September 2012. Archived from the original on 23 October 2012 . Retrieved 18 September 2020. He was the first person in professional media that ever said that I was a writer. I've been thinking about this a lot, obviously with the book, is that whatever I do in my life, whether it's of interest to him or not, even now that he's not here anymore–I'm always thinking, “I wonder what Tony will think of this. I hope Tony's impressed .” During those periods when I really hated him, you still wanted to impress Tony Wilson. And that was the way he would get inside your head.

HERITAGE: GROUNDBREAKING MANCUNIAN R&B BAND 52ND STREET PERFORM "I'LL RETURN" ON 'SOLID SOUL' (1986)". Trench. 13 April 2018 . Retrieved 18 October 2020. a b c Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19thed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p.199. ISBN 1-904994-10-5. Curtis was so conflicted as to be in mental torture. It was not all Deborah chasing him, although she did show a dogged tenacity, turning up at a psychiatric hospital when Curtis was driven there after their separation, and furiously phoning Annik to tell her what she thought of her. Curtis too seemed to find it hard to make a break - he returned to their shared home when he left Wilson's house where he was recuperating after an overdose shortly before he killed himself; and when he killed himself on the eve of Joy Division's American tour, he allegedly left a note for Deborah saying that when he returned, he wanted to live as a family again, with her and Natalie. In 1980, honourable working class men just didn't up and leave their families. Plus who knows whether he was terrified that if he divorced Deborah, he would never see Natalie again. Many women use their children as weapons, and the devastation wrought by this can eat a person up. Yet even the lyrics of Love Will Tear Us Apart suggest he still felt affection for Deborah - ' But there's still this appeal/That we've kept through our lives.' Although there's also an acceptance that the relationship is over: ' Just that something so good/Just can't function no more.' Lesley joined the Factory family a couple of years after everything got started. Lindsay Reade was there right at the beginning. Lindsay introduced her then husband Tony Wilson to a number of people on Manchester’s music scene, in particular Tosh Ryan, who headed up independent punk record label Rabid Records.One of the great things about the band was how they changed perceptions of Manchester. Those of us that aren’t part of a London scene, ie: the majority of the population, we know how hard it is to be noticed. We know how London-centric the media and industry is, so to have the Roses come through really turned all of that on its head and that is a very valuable part of what they did. Paul Morley, author of 'From Manchester With Love: The Life and Opinions of Tony Wilson.' credit: Photo courtesy of the author.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment