276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Conclave: The bestselling Richard and Judy Book Club thriller

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Conclave é um thriller que explora os efeitos do poder no seio da Cúria Romana e, colateralmente, denuncia luxos, riquezas e negócios. He is the Dean of the Cardinals, and as such it is his job to make sure that he is on top of everything involved in the Conclave, the transition from the now deceased, much loved Pope, to the newly elected Pope-to-be. No one is supposed to want the job, but once you have it, it’s yours for life – unless you’re German, of course, in which case you can cut and run when the scandals get too much. His work has been translated into forty languages and nine of his books have been adapted for cinema and television. At the plate glass entrance to the Casa Santa Marta, the Swiss guard saluted, a white-gloved hand to a red-plumed helmet.

One hundred and eighteen Cardinals from all over the world gather for this process, the College of Cardinals voting over and over until there is a clear choice. He remembered riding with the Holy Father in this very car early in his papacy when two elderly monsignors had got in. In Conclave the hero is Cardinal Lomeli, dean of the College of Cardinals and the man responsible for presiding over the conclave. The reader is given an in-depth tour and detailed account of traditions and rituals that take place.Harris’ superlative skill at depicting power politics makes this an irresistibly gripping papal page-turner. The candidates themselves (four Papabiles are presented early on) are each hiding secrets whose disclosure would likely cost them the election. Das Ende ist zugegebenermaßen nicht nur völlig unerwartet (ich war nicht in der Lage die Zeichen, die darauf hindeuteten, richtig zu interpretieren), sondern auch ein wenig fragwürdig. The pope has died, descriptions of a peoples pope, a pope who refused to live in the grandeur of the Vatican apartments, point to this representing our current Pope, Francis.

Cardinal Lomeli is the Dean of the College of Cardinals, therefore, he is tasked with the running and management of the Conclave. A thoughtful novel about the intellectual battles that should take place at the heart of a conclave would be a fine thing to read. There was a sudden snap and the metal disc depicting St Peter hauling in a fisherman’s net was severed.Nothing is considered too insignificant for it to be excluded, including the poor quality of the catering that visitors to the Vatican must suffer. Among the papabile there is Tedesco the traditionalist, Tremblay the ambitious North American and Adeyemi the African with strong views on the role of women and gay marriage. Many other reviewers considered it bizarre and a weakness that would lower the quality of an otherwise strong novel. I was baptized Catholic, my mother raised in the Catholic faith, my father converted so they could be married in St. In his vanity he had imagined himself the first to be summoned; in fact, he now saw, he was the last.

The pope has died and the cardinals are gathering to elect his successor, cardinals from all over the world, some have ambition and some are rivals but each one will cast his vote in the World's more secretive election. The clandestine nature of a Papal vote offers the novelist a degree of imaginative freedom as there are no visible campaigns, no political conventions, no Twitter wars and no television cameras. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. It didn’t help that by a third of the way through the story it was inevitable who the successful candidate was going to be, and by half way through the book I had spotted the twist in the tail that was to come. I didn’t know until I was 24, when my godmother mentioned it to me, but I did spend a bit of time inside the Catholic church growing up, with one neighborhood girl who enjoyed “sneaking” in to light the candles.In the novel Conclave our storyteller is Cardinal Lomeli, dean of the College of Cardinals and the man responsible for presiding over the conclave. We follow his investigations into corruption, secrets, his spiritual struggles and the reflection of his own conscience as he navigates mystery upon mystery of this compelling novel.

I’ve deepened my understanding of those issues, and that will make me a better reader for books that touch on this same issue in the future. Firstly: The cloistered nature and setting of the Conclave – which naturally and greatly adds to the uncontrived tension and claustrophobia of the novel (a setting which must be a gift to an author such as Harris). It's not unreasonable to assume that many cardinals would like to become pope, but as each one slips from grace, the whole thing starts to become a little daft. The story is told through the eyes of Cardinal Lomeli who, as Dean of the College, is charged with overseeing the election process. Narrator Roy Mcmillan did not try to create multiple vocal characterisations, but he was able to add the right amount of accent and inflection as required to most of the main characters in a pleasant and palatable story telling voice.I found myself sliding my thumb over the tallies until I’d read the paragraphs leading up to the results.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment