276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro For Nikon Digital & Film Cameras

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This I find is a common problem with this lens, with the motor shredding all or some of the teeth on the AF Gear. Indeed there are several You Tube "fixes" available to those with patience and somewhere other than the kitchen table to work on. Distortion is very well controlled at 70mm producing 0.07% pincushion distortion, which is an almost negligible amount. At 200mm the amount of pincushion distortion rises to 2.62%, which may be noticeable in some circumstances, but more often than not, will not cause any issues. This is where this APO lens differs from its sister, utilising two extra SLD (special low dispersion) glass elements in the front group, making three in total. SLD glass is denser, accounting for the slight increase in weight over the lesser lens.

My copy is decent sharp at all focal lengths. I got excellent results, very sharp at 70 mm, not as sharp as my FA77 but enough. It is weaker beyond 200 mm, but it can still give acceptable results even at 300mm in good light. At 300 mm wide open (f 5.6), the Tair (f 4.5) captures more detail. The Revuenon (Tele-Ennalyt) (f 5.6) gets less. The Sigma 70-300 colours look nicer to my eye; more natural. The Sigma 75-300 APO gets less detail also, but its colours are nicer still (though possibly less natural). The Sigma 75-300 non-APO λ-2 also gets less detail; its colours more resemble the 70-300. With the 70-300, CA is apparent in high contrast OOF areas, this is the only time I notice CA. As is normal with this type of zoom lens, performance is better at the shorter focal length, tailing off a bit as the zoom is extended. However, unlike some, the drop off is not too marked and in its class, this lens performed well throughout the range. Venture further into the zoom range and the clarity drops off noticeably. The lens is still capable of producing acceptable results for most wide open, but stopping down a couple of stops will improve the clarity of images. In use, I did notice a drop in contrast at 300mm, which will affect the apparent sharpness of images.

Not the newest, but this Sigma zoom lens still has something to offer at the price

Sigma’s 70-300mm has an impressive list of features but it also calls forth the warning that if something sounds too good to be true, then maybe that’s exactly what it is. Its 70-300mm focal-length range may be more than many users will really need in an everyday tele-zoom but there is nothing wrong with having a little bit of extra power – provided, that is, nothing more essential has to be sacrificed along the way.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-af-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-di-ld-macro-interchangeable-lens-review-13028 The lens seems to be coated well, tire rubber from burnouts comes off well without any issues although i recommend using 2 cloths. This is a very average lens overall , if you can find it cheap enough it might be worth trying . In good light , and no macro , it might serve your needs well enough , certainly worth a try if your on a budget . Below is our lens test data. To find out how to use these graphs look at this article: How we test lenses

Sell or trade used photo and video kit with MPB

this lens is much more better corrected than the Sigma 3.5-4.5/70-210 APO MACRO with unfortunately some visible CAs

On Day 1 I focused on the build and ergonomics of the lens and it’s general performance with my D90The lens extends by around 2inches when zoomed in and focusing extends the lens barrel further. The front element does rotate during AF, which may pose issues for people wishing to use polarisers or graduated filters with the lens. The zoom action is smooth and offers just the right amount of resistance to make selecting the desired focal length easy, without risking zoom creep when the lens is pointed downwards. This 70-300mm zoom telephoto was made in numerous versions and generations by sigma - 4 versions listed in the legacy zooms section, two in the current zooms section (see here for the current non-"apo" version).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment