276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Poor

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The poem goes on to contrast the lofty ideals of its designers with one of its most infamous episodes, the killing of 10-year-old Damilola Taylor, who bled to death in a stairwell in November 2000 after being stabbed in the thigh on his way home from the local library by two brothers not much older than he was. A few months later the mural was demolished, along with the tower block where the Femi family lived, and they were moved to a four-bedroom terrace house down the road. The outcome was violence, communal trauma and a disastrous “othering” that resounded through the news headlines. Caleb Femi: ‘In lockdown, when we all had an hour allocated to us to go out into the fresh air, how many had access to greenery and nature?

While the BBC/HBO comedy-drama is certainly not suitable for a teenage audience, Caleb Femi’s Poor certainly is. It birthed so much beautiful folklore: there were stories of people running through walls, or turning into cats – because of that painting, everything that you would find in Harry Potter already existed on my estate before I even knew about the books. Above all, this is a tribute to the world that shaped a poet, and to the people forging difficult lives and finding magic within it. For sixth-form, he took himself off to school in north London, making use of the 50-minute bus journey to catch up with his reading and all the latest albums.I am exhausted by the BBC’s continuing charade that black masculinity can only be represented through violence. Harling offers her own reaction to the poet, filmmaker, photographer and former young people’s laureate for London. We use Google Analytics to see what pages are most visited, and where in the world visitors are visiting from.

Meanwhile, the BBC London news portrays these young people only through tales of knife crime and gangs, without thinking about what it might be, to be black and British and a boy, walking to school or home, through the inner city, with no-one to protect you apart from your own self. Poor, published in 2020, is a breath-taking ode to Femi’s black boyhood lived inside the concrete blocks and walkways of the estate.His two-year tenure as young people’s laureate coincided with one of London’s most horrifying urban design disasters, the Grenfell Tower fire. But there is no shortage of ways to use distinct poems within the collection with classes ranging from BGE to Senior Phase. The book is more than a poetry collection: containing a selection of Femi’s striking original photography, it is an impeccably curated and often beautiful snapshot of lives lived on the North Peckham Estate.

Destroying me’ Michaela Coel’A poet of truth and rage, heartbreak and joy’ Max Porter’It’s simply stunning. The pictures were necessary for two reasons, he says – firstly because the collection carries an archival responsibility, but also because he wanted to police the imaginations of readers whose attitude to urban black youth is shaped and coloured by news photography. Caleb has documented the journey and experiences of not just many black youths of this generation but he captures the experience of all disadvantaged youths who are full of promise, hope and talents.Femi is a film-maker and photographer as well as a poet, and he became London’s first young people’s laureate in 2016. I wanted to challenge that discourse – to point out that young boys wearing hoodies don’t carry this innate threat within themselves. This book flows from the fabric of boyhood to the politics and architecture of agony, from the material to the spiritual, always moving, always real.

I May Destroy You and Poor foreground those stories criminally overlooked, neglected or silenced in media and literature (arguably also in society more widely). My words throughout my journey reading the poems were WOW and DAM because I know the reality of his words. If Peckham were to be remove from the content and put in Flatbush or Brownsville or Redhook or even Bedford-Stuyvesant the (lifestories) poems would speak truth to those communities. The imagery is so visceral – and the writing so powerful – that you can feel yourself there, hovering over tragedy and concrete.Poor is] in conversation with Roger Robinson's and Jay Bernard's poems of witness and poetic gospel, which . It’s radical to offer spoken word poetry for a Heathrow promotional video (outside this particular collection) and state that We don’t all sound like Downton Abbey / Not all Northerners speak like Wayne Rooney and to actually tell the listener to teach your ears the different accents.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment