276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Posh (Oberon Modern Plays)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It holds true to the dark and privileged story of the original script while twisting and highlighting certain aspects of the text in a new way. She harpoons the masonic nature of much of English life in which self-perpetuating elites offer each other lifelong protection. Wade is one of a dizzying generation of talented young women playwrights, including Lucy Prebble, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Polly Stenham, Lucy Kirkwood, Alecky Blythe, Nina Raine and Bola Agbaje. Members of The Riot Club, an elite student dining society, the fraternity starts to fray when they discover they're a guinea-fowl short and the prostitute they've hired is suddenly banished.

Laura Wade | Stage | The Guardian Laura Wade | Stage | The Guardian

When Charlie arrives she refuses to get under the table and perform oral sex on the boys; they are surprised at her scruples. The message is one I’m already on board with, but perhaps the glimpse into this level of indecency is a good reminder. In her 20s Wade's career built quickly, with two chilling plays, Breathing Corpses and Colder Than Here, staged in 2005, and an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland in 2010.

Not quite sure how it will translate, but the play itself is both very entertaining and astute about how an elitist attitude colors everything the upper classes touch. And it's as if Wade had always intended this show, which has provided young male actors with some career-making opportunities, to be played by women in gender-reversed way.

Posh: : Student Editions Laura Wade Methuen Drama Posh: : Student Editions Laura Wade Methuen Drama

Initially no more than love interest, her later mistreatment makes the class conflict all too tangible. Inspired by his godfather Jeremy, a former Riot Club member and now a Conservative MP, Guy tries to impress the boys with a "ten bird roast'.Meeting in the private room of a rural gastropub, the club's aims are clear: to get as bloated and "chateaued" as possible and to trash the premises.

Posh – review | Stage | The Guardian Posh – review | Stage | The Guardian

After studying drama at the University of Bristol she became one of the country’s most acclaimed playwrights. But I think the film is a true representation of what I wanted to say about who these boys are, how they operate and how we let them get away with it.Some very interesting points regarding the culture of the elite and how skewered their point of view on society can be. Sam’s parents are Timothy West and Prunella Scales – does that make you part of a “theatrical dynasty”? I'd have liked to see something a bit more subversive or unexpected in this—it gets a bit old to read a bunch of appallingly self-absorbed rich boys get progressively more offensive (for lack of a better word). Instead I thought of the characters as being the men who might one day run the country, the leaders of the future, which I found chilling.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment