276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Secret of Banjo Groyne: Innocent and Sentenced to Hang. The True Story of the Brighton Murder of '28.

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I just finished recounting tales to my children about how we used to dive through car inner-tubes from the ‘Banjo Groyne’in the 70’s whilst the tide fell to breathtaking shallow depths! During the Second World War the beaches were closed for five years and thousands of tons of shingle accumulated here covering the access steps, the wooden supports and, probably, the floodlights. My information will not be shared with any third party (see our Privacy Statement - opens in a new window). I frequently walked there – down Dukes Mound which came out on the opposite side of the beach – to the Groyne.

Please look at the picture on screen carefully as this is an accurate representation of exactly what you will receive.Now the beaches are all the same level and the men and boys who looked over the Banjo Groyne to admire the bathing belles below are no more to be seen. Its current form dates to 1884, when Magnus Volk, proprietor of Volk's Railway, extended the electric railway to this point. When I got the hang of swimming, I with other kids dived from the groyne into the lovely deep water from the round bit of the groyne.

Just to let Laurie Selby know that yes Volks railway still runs along the beach from the Palace pier to the Marina, I guess this must be the train to which you refer? We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. I too used to fish off the Banjo Groyne in the early 1960s and distinctly remember wading into the English Channel on it and made a mighty cast out to where the Bass were (I thought) when a 10 pounder swam between my legs. All structured data from the main, Property, Lexeme, and EntitySchema namespaces is available under the Creative Commons CC0 License; text in the other namespaces is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

Afterwards we would have to push this canoe up Dukes Mound to the top, and then home on a two wheel contraption. The concrete platforms beyond the public observation section in the circular area to the left is often used by anglers of which three are in view. Since the 1930s the beach has become much higher due to the drift of shingle, but the Volks railway originally ran along the beach on a track raised by a viaduct. When I got the tackle to the shore however, I was delighted to have caught a Smoothhound (albeit a fairly small one), one of my target species for the year.

Both fish were caught during daylight hours, and nothing else was caught for the rest of the evening.Back then, at high tide, the sea to the east of the Banjo Groyne came right up to the new sea wall, which was built in 1895 to extend Madeira Drive eastwards. Why not add on your very own fully trained Sauna Master, experts in manipulating steam and traditional leaf whisking. We packed up just as high tide arrived – I’d snapped my shock leader off striking, and then snapped my rig off on the next cast, so it wasn’t worth setting up again. If you don't see a date in the title of this listing, then unfortunately this means we don't have one for this particular image. I boshed on another two King Rag baits, and within 5 minutes got a tug on the line, setting off the ratchet (the lazy fishermans bite indicator!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment