276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fortunately, the Milk . . .: Neil Gaiman

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Good thing that I never skip that, like in the movies, that if you are too eager to leave the theater and you can miss a final scene. (I wonder what all those people do, rushing out once the credits started to roll. Do they find a cure to the cancer? Solving the world hunger? Getting world peace? Nope, I don't think so, since we still have all those troubles) Twice they get hold of the green stone, coming at it from two different time trips, which prompts the professor to explain his theory: "[A]ccording to my calculations, if the same object from two different times touches itself, one of two things will happen. Either the Universe will cease to exist. Or three remarkable dwarfs will dance through the streets with flowerpots on their heads." The father replies, "That sounds astonishingly specific." Yet time and again, the professor's theories are borne out. Fortunately, they resolve the dilemma without touching the two green stones (the same one, but from different time periods) together. But will a moment arrive when they are in a similar predicament, perhaps involving the milk? Yes. I wanted chapters of characters and development, I wanted descriptions of far away lands. I wanted Alice Through the Looking Glass with a dash of Phantom Tollbooth.... I listened to this on Scribd, with Gaiman doing the narration. It is worth it just to listen to him read it. However after listening to it I went and found the wonderful illustrations. Beth Tabler Guilty as charged Your Highness," I confessed. "I thought everyone would like it and think I was clever. But I guess all it has ended up being is a waste of a morning when I have more productive things to do. I could have gone to the bookstore instead. Hang on, that was in the review universe not the real universe. Now things are getting silly."

If the same object from two different times touches itself, one of two things will happen. Either the Universe will cease to exist. Or three remarkable dwarfs will dance through the streets with flowerpots on their heads.” My favourite scene in book was when the Father met the king of Volcanos. Hahaha.... really enjoyed that scene.I think people find refuge everywhere, and I think that people make families as much as they are born into them. And I also think that there is something special and magic, sometimes, about those people who you somehow know you are related to by blood; Robert Frost's definition of home as the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in, comes to mind. And, of course, they do. In each of those cases you're looking at people who get to build families or get to be given safe places by families, and, yes, people do often get refuge in the most wonderful, strange and unlikely places. This is such a charming story. Although the book is recommended for ages 7-9, this is a story for all ages and one that parents can enjoy reading right along with their kids. Younger readers will appreciate the neat time travel element and amusing characters like Professor Steg. There are references to well-known literature woven into the story, which is appealing for adults. To me, what makes the book so fun is the juxtaposition of the dad's ridiculous story and the reality as the kids begin to question how legit these events even are. The dad’s nonsensical story is hilarious, while the family story is real and relatable. My five children have a socialite for a dad, and we’ve found ourselves in this situation many times before!

In Ocean, you never name the boy-man narrator. Yet the importance of naming is essential to the plot. Why didn't you give him a name? Is he Everyman? (In the same way that Bod is Nobody?) The children and their parents get no names in Fortunately, the Milk, either. Coincidence? PDF / EPUB File Name: Fortunately_the_Milk_-_Neil_Gaiman.pdf, Fortunately_the_Milk_-_Neil_Gaiman.epub

There was something very good about this book. It was an ‘enhanced edition’ which means that the writer reads the book out loud to you while you read it! This writer is a good reader and he didn’t sound at all like the dalek voice that normally comes out of the Kindle. Mum said I could stay on the iPad if I wanted to draw a picture of the writer reading the book. But I can’t draw good faces so I drew a picture of the Kindle talking. Then I labeled it ‘Kindle’ because Mum asked what it was. If you don't get it, please do some memory tests, since you have to get it, you just read it less than hour ago! No matter how much other characters assist your heroes, ultimately, they must find their own way. This is true in Fortunately, the Milk, when the father must save himself, and it's also true for Bod in The Graveyard Book, for the heroine of Coraline, and for the boy hero of Ocean. Why is that important to you as an author? The story is Gaiman's attempt to write a book that casts fathers in a positive light. After writing The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish and finding that a lot of people were giving it to their fathers for Father's Day as a tongue-in-cheek insult, he thought he had better make amends. So... the father as the hero of the day, does it work?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment