276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Little Stars (Hetty Feather Book 5)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Since leaving the Foundling Hospital, Hetty has seen her fair share of drama, excitement, tragedy and loss. After the death of her beloved mama, she sets off to find a real home at last - starting with the search for her father. Note: The book does contain sensitive themes and scenes that some parents may feel are more suitable to a 12+ readership, although they are not graphic in detail. These include alcohol consumption and hints at abuse (hitting and sexual).

Trying to keep up with Nina gets increasingly difficult as they venture out to cafes and movies in their school holidays. A trip to the local swimming pool begins with trepidation as Nina wears a bikini and a European holiday tan, and Laura squeezes into her old bathing suit with an anchor on her flat chest. Edie is fascinated by Victorian times, and she's just desperate to be cast in the lead role of her drama club production of Oliver. When she's given a real Victorian notebook she's determined to write the best story ever, all about a girl in a workhouse. But when she starts writing, something strange happens. When Nina starts waving at some boys on the diving boards, Laura is horrified, but does her best to look sixteen like Nina is trying to pull off. The boys who look a lot older close up, reveal they are French exchange students. Nina immediately looks at ease and trying to match her confident friend, Laura agrees to one of the boys walking her home, including a detour on the way.Fifteen-year-old Hetty Feather and eight-year-old Diamond have escaped from Tanglefield’s Travelling Circus. Hetty, a foundling, had run away to join the circus and succeeded as a clever young ringmaster, although she discovered it was a hard life. Diamond was the star of the Silver Tumblers acrobatic act. Unfortunately, a cruel clown, Beppo, who trained the acrobats had half-starved Diamond and beat her fiercely if she made even a slight mistake. I greatly enjoyed this book, it is tied as my favorite with Emerald Star, but there are a few downsides to it I also found that Diamond got quite annoying in this book, I understand she is a child but she did get on my nerves a bit. I just love this entire series, I've read plenty of books, but this is by far one of my favourite series. Although it's aimed at children, I believe anyone can thoroughly enjoy it. Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain's bestselling and most beloved children's authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold.

I was so invested in Laura's story that I couldn't and didn't want to put this book down. I loved all the characters and how even the supporting ones were sufficiently fleshed out. I cried not just for Laura but also for all the other girls. Shame about Nina and Daniel (both of whom I really liked) but at the same time, I couldn't see how Laura and their lives would fit together again after everything.Jacqueline Wilson will surprise and delight old fans and new with this utterly original historical novel. Set in 1960, Laura is a poor teenager who lives in a shantytown. She develops a friendship with another girl at school who is much well off than her but isn’t awful about it. Laura becomes a bit infatuated with the girl and her family and you can never blame her, considering her own family, who are lovely but poor and always working (she has no siblings). The girl's family welcomes her and they spend a lot of time during the summer together. But Hetty is no longer a simple country girl, and begins to fear she'll never truly belong anywhere. And even when she is reunited with her beloved childhood sweetheart Jem, Hetty still longs for adventure - especially when an enchanting figure from her past makes an unexpected reappearance. Could a more exciting future lie ahead for Hetty? Hetty is still the same person, but she is older and everything steps up a little. All of her little dreams seemed big when she was little, but now, given her circumstances in 'Little Stars' at the cavalcade and with acting, they seem so small compared with her dreams now. Being the Ringmaster at the circus in 'Diamond' was such a big and fantastic thing, but now looking at her being a professional actor it seems like her circus life was not professional and not proper. Now Hetty's life is real professional, despite her still being called a child. Jaqueline Wilson has captured all of this brilliantly in her world renown style of straight from the heart, uncluttered, authentic story telling.

The book looks at quite challenging topics such as consent, abuse and forced adoption yet does so in a way which a younger reader will be able to absorb it without being traumatised. I will always wonder at her ability to understand and translate such tough subjects and emotions into her words so beautifully.

Keep in touch

The people the girls meet, the friends they make, the dangers they encounter, and the glamorous music hall entertainers they accompany, all make fascinating reading. Hetty’s and Diamond’s adventures are a marvellous tale of theatrical life based on the stage stars of early days. Double Act won the prestigious Smarties Medal and the Children’s Book Award as well as being highly commended for the Carnegie Medal. The Story of Tracy Beaker won the 2002 Blue Peter People’s Choice Award. Hetty Feather has begun a new chapter in her life story. Escaping from Tanglefield's Travelling Circus with her dearest friend Diamond, Hetty is determined to find them positions as glamorous music hall artistes.

The rear of the book includes a note on sexual consent and some (UK only) organisations and resources available for anyone needing support or information.Starring a cast of wonderful characters, both old favourites and new, this is the fifth fabulous Hetty Feather story. Read more Details This generation was always remembered as so ‘stiff upper lip’ and trying always to do the ‘decent’ thing but it made me question, decent for who? Earlier events and characters are often alluded to, but it did not confuse. In fact, it piqued my interest in Hetty and her other adventures. Bertie knows all about Jem, but Jem does not even know Bertie exists and I would love to see how they would react to each other if they meet which is why I hope Jacqueline Wilson will write another book on Hetty Feather, or have a follow up later on in life like she has done with Tracy Beaker! A brilliant end-of-series novel, the sort with just the right amount of tragedy, love, adventure and excitement. - The Guardian

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment