276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fatima ; The Autobiography of Fatima Whitbread

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As a baby, Whitbread was abandoned in a flat in London and essentially left to die. After hearing her cries, neighbours called the police. Whitbread recovered in hospital from malnutrition, dehydration and her terrible physical condition, then spent her childhood in children’s homes. “I felt this deep sense of loss within me,” she says. When she was five, she was introduced to her biological mother – having had no idea of her history – and moved to a children’s home in Essex, where she had two half-siblings. “That was the first time I started questioning what was going on in my life and what was to become of me.”

Fatima took bronze at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and in 1986 at the European Championships took gold and became a record breaker with a throw of 77.44m which added over 2 meters to the previous world record held by Petra Felke of the GDR, making her the first British thrower to break a world record. In 1997, she married Andy Norman, the controversial athletics promoter, with whom she had a son, Ryan, a year later. (Norman had been implicated by the coroner in the 1994 suicide of Cliff Temple, a Sunday Times journalist who had been investigating Norman’s conduct as promotions officer of the British Athletics Federation.) After her traumatic childhood, she was determined that her son’s would be different. “I felt I would be a good mum,” she says. “I believed in myself. It was important for me to be able to prove that I could be a good mum and break the mould of what I’d been through.” Fatima Whitbread was born on 3 March, 1961 in London, United Kingdom. Discover Fatima Whitbread's Biography, Age, Height, Physical Stats, Dating/Affairs, Family and career updates. Learn How rich is She in this year and how She spends money? Also learn how She earned most of networth at the age of 62 years old? Popular As

Fatima Whitbread Career (British athlete)

It was known as our athletics family – we all felt seen, heard and embraced. Magical memories for all those that competed in those years of women’s athletics!

Whitbread was aware of the comments in the media about her muscular physique. Did she care about that? “It’s tools for the job,” she says of her body. Had she been taller, maybe her muscles wouldn’t have been so noticeable, but she was “stubby”, she says, laughing. “But I didn’t care, because I loved what I did and that’s what it took for me to succeed. I didn’t take notice; I was just proud of my work ethos. But sometimes they could be unkind.” Under her mother’s tutelage, Fatima Whitbread was able to compete in the three Olympics that held in her prime. She was able to set a world record at the 1986 athletics meet. She also triumphed at the Rome championship. She emerged the Sports Personality of the Year from the BBC. Whitbread came in for her last competitive event in the year 1989, and she was still young at the time having only celebrated her 27th birthday then. She had to face a nagging shoulder dislocation which did not go away in the next three years. Though she tried to return in 1992, the dislocation was not letting her be. The police obviously came along, banged the door down, rescued the baby and it got taken into hospital, where I stayed for six months.The only person who showed Whitbread any love was a woman who worked in the home, known as Auntie Rae. It was Rae who stopped Whitbread’s biological mother, who arrived one day with three men, from taking her out of the home. Rae’s suspicions proved horrifyingly true: at a later date, when her biological mother was able to take her to London for a while, 11-year-old Whitbread was raped by a man who was staying at the flat. What made her a good – at one stage, the best – thrower? “I think the inner strength that I created as a child. If you asked me: ‘Would I change anything about my life?’ I’d say no, because that created who I am. I had steely inner strength and a sense of determination to succeed because of my childhood. I possibly wouldn’t have had that otherwise.” She pauses. “There are some things you would have wanted to change.” Is she angry at the system that failed her so spectacularly? “Well, it does make me …” She pauses. “Even today, some of the crazy policies – ousting kids [from care] at 16 is appalling. My son still lives at home; he’s 25. At 16, these are vulnerable kids.” At present, councils are allowed to put 16- and 17-year-old children in unregulated accommodation, although a ban on the practice will come into force in October. “For a lot of young kids, history starts repeating itself: they start getting in trouble, or offending, and it costs the state a whole lot more. These young kids need that support, because once they get out there they’re easily preyed upon. They’re still kids.” verifyErrors }}{{ message }}{{ /verifyErrors }}{{

She and Norman had experienced years of infertility, followed by a miscarriage, before their son was born via a third round of IVF. Norman left her for another athlete when Ryan was small, although he and Whitbread managed to remain close. Then, in 2007, he died suddenly, leaving Whitbread to raise Ryan alone. On top of that, it emerged that Norman had taken out loans, partly in Whitbread’s name, which put her tens of thousands of pounds in debt. She had to sell the family home. The fees from reality TV kept her afloat and helped her rebuild her profile. Whitbread with Ferne McCann on Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins in 2022. Photograph: Pete Dadds/Channel 4/PA

Olympics Glory And Other Notable Mentions

As an athlete I was competing in an era when it was predominantly male orientated in the athletics. However, I was inspired as a young 11-year-old by Mary Peters, who won the woman’s pentathlon in the 1972 Munich Olympics. Then before her came a number of very famous British women athletes that inspired me when going through the history of woman’s athletes. Fatima proceeded to Dilkes County Primary School in her early years and attended Culverhouse Secondary School after that. Carving A Niche Friends creator reveals Matthew Perry was ‘happy and chipper’ in final conversation before tragic death at 54 She worries about the cost of living crisis, inequality and poverty: “The kids are the ones that are getting the damage done.”

She is a member of famous with the age 62 years old group. Fatima Whitbread Height, Weight & Measurements Born in London to Cypriot parents, Fatima Whitbread endured a disturbed childhood after being abandoned by her mother as a baby and spent her first 14 years in a variety of care homes.

I would often sit with Maria at many championships around the world long after I retired. We shared many proud moments watching our women succeed. I doubt that many will be able to appreciate our leading women pioneers that we had in our sport. In the latest of the many lives of Fatima Whitbread, the former champion javelin thrower has become a formidable reality TV star – and it suits her. She is surely one good show away from “beloved” status, which might prove to be the I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! spin-off in which she is soon to star, alongside a select group of other former participants in the ITV show. Fatima Whitbread's greatest attribution was her clinching the Stuttgart meet in 1986, where she bettered the world record for the Javelin event. She also emerged the world champion twelve months down the line at the Rome meeting.Her physique made her the butt of snide comments all through her career as she cuts a muscular look. Fatima's defense always was that she ate hard and worked the muscles out. She alluded to the field she had to fight against that often was made up of athletes who were a 6ft plus. This means she needed the power and strength she could muster with those muscles. Fatima appeared on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! in 2011, which saw McFly’s Dougie Poynter crowned King.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment