276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge with Microlinear Nude Stylus,red

£73.46£146.92Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After reading some post I learned that this was due to capacity and I bought an Art Dj Pre II for 55€ - and the brightness was gone instantly. Weaknesses- Less high frequency sustain (noted in cymbal decay), less focused detail than ML, not as precise of staging as ML. Weaknesses- Transparent to the point of seeming thin, dry character, some higher frequencies are brilliant to the point of glaring, analytically sterile presence.

AT VM95ML - Impressions | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo AT VM95ML - Impressions | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo

Planning to get an ML stylus at some point as its a bit cheaper and it might be nice for extracting a bit more drive out of records that are somewhat constricted in dynamic range and sound compressed by default. Likely you have a loading problem with the VM95ML. What is the phono preamp capacitance spec on the Yamaha? Might upgrade to VM750SH one day but considering how cost effective the stylus replacements are for the VM95 series I'd say that's unlikely! I asked myself: but why has the Grado Reference Platinum Wood MI no problems with capacity? An engineer explained it to me. What I have understand so far it's due to different coil windig. But that's another story...Characteristics shared between all styli are a warm, full-bodied sound that is also quite punchy. There’s a lot of drive here, though the VM95 is not voiced such that standout bumps in frequency make it an unpleasant listen. Rather it has a bit of ‘oomf’ to use a technical term that makes it, if anything, great fun above all else. It sounds much like the predecessor, though with more evenhandedness and control than the AT95, which tends to sound dry and a bit dull in comparison. VM95C Is this brightness (I wouldn't call it shrill but it's VERY crisp) due to my other equipment (detailed below)? The albums- PJ Harvey- Dry, George Benson- the Shape of Things to Come, Sonic Youth- Dirty, Nina Simone- Sings the Blues. I would love to hear some of these multi thousand pound TT set ups to hear what a really top notch set up sounds like. So, long story short, up until a couple of weeks ago I was seriously considering giving up my vinyl hobby.

VM95ML upgrade woes | Steve Hoffman Music Forums VM95ML upgrade woes | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Is this overt crispness an anti-skate issue? I have my anti-skate set to match VTF as per AT's rec. I measured each stylus in turn using the same body. I first wanted to identify the cause of the slightly higher output voltage of the conical and elliptical verses the other three profiles. AT quote a difference of 0.5MV. My tests showed The VM95C and VM95E output around 3.8MV, while the other still in the range were indeed on or slightly lower than the 3.5MV mark. It is my theory that the small variances in compliance and tip mass are responsible for this, and in reality such a minor difference isn’t going to be of any consequence as the difference is minor, and the output voltage is well within the margin for most if not all moving magnet preamplifiers. I am also loving the SH and my experience with it ( had it about 4 months now ) pretty much matches yours.

If your system already tends to sound a bit bright then using the SH would be better than the ML, to even things out a bit. How many people will notice that the capacity of the modern amps / receivers phonosstage is too high? 1%? 5%?

AT-VM95ML Vs. Ortofon 2M Blue File Identities Audio Technica AT-VM95ML Vs. Ortofon 2M Blue File Identities

I prefer a balanced sound with nice low (tight and deep) and realistic/clean detail at the top. (lol... so I want everything in one hehehhe). AT themselves never marketed any upgraded styli for the AT95 leaving other companies to take on the task including LP Gear, Jico and The Audio Files, who’s 95P Paratrace is considered by many the best of the bunch. The VM95 Range Instead of me giving you my opinion, why not listen for yourself? I digitized at 96/24 a selection (Gigout's "Grand Chorus in Dialogue") from Music For Organ, Brass and Percussion (Columbia M 31193) featuring E. Power Biggs and The Columbia Brass and Percussion Ensemble recorded at St. George's Church, in NYC. Edward T. Grham and Larry Keyes engineered the 1972 release, which, with its generous bottom end extension, wide dynamics and spacious ambiance seemed like a good choice to help you decide which you prefer. Of course you will have to listen "blind" and please state your preferences in the comments section. I'll reveal which is which within the week. I'll try to describe my takeaway w/o waxing poetic or getting too long-winded for anyone to care to read. I have read and practiced over the years that you do want to turn on that last bit, which is above the -6db threshold (6 x the bit rate is the dynamic range). One engineer I read said that there is no reason to go above -5db, but I think that leaving 3db of loudness disregarded as not a good practice and it lowers the rest of the music as well. I generally do not go over -2db in my own work, but overs in digital are bad, so I avoid them at all costs. I noticed in these two files I had clearance at the top of the wave forms by going to -1db.

Ortofon 2M Blue Versus Audio Technica AT-VM95ML

Of course I like to have a good balance which I have more or less managed to achieve but with just a slight tip away from bright.

Ortofon 2M Blue Versus Audio Technica AT-VM95ML Ortofon 2M Blue Versus Audio Technica AT-VM95ML

I really have to crank up my volume on that LP to get any sort of decent headroom, maybe the ML will open things up for stuff like that. Strength- Wholesome delivery, tons of heart, presents mid-bass (toms, bass guitar, male vocals) with authoritative swagger and punch, excellent harmonics, lush emotion, rich tonal beauty. So my question is if I buy the VM95L/H does that mean I don’t have to mess about with screws etc, I just take the Red headshell off and put the VM95L/H headshell on, then recalibrate accordingly? I don’t know all the TT terminology but hopefully you know what I mean?

The VM95 Range

The stereo- Technics SL1500C turntable w/ KAB damper, Graham Slee Era Gold V preamp, Yamaha A-S801 amp, JBL L82 speakers, Rythmik L12 sub. From what I've seen from people's comparisons between the ML and the SH its pretty much down to personal preference and system sound.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment