276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Midsomer Murders - A Worm In The Bud [DVD]

£6.49£12.98Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Still, it's a good episode with a good ending. The best scene is the children boarding a bus for Causton and going to see Barnaby at home. He isn't there, but Joyce is, and the little boy isn't interested in the mystery -- he just wants food. Barney and Troy go to interview Bernadette. She immediately says, "Simon Bartlett is my client. I'd like to know precisely why he's been arrested." Barnaby says, "You're under a misapprehension as to why you're here. You provided Simon Bartlett with a false alibi for the night of James Harrington's death. You won't need legal advice from me to understand the implications of that."

There are some untied endings at the end. For example, why was the first victim in the bushes six hours before she is found in the pond? That is never answered, though the murder mystery is built on this fact... A few days after Susan’s death James Harrington is found dead in slurry on his farm. The autopsies on the two bodies show that they had ingested valerian before they were killed by drowning. The valerian rendered them unconscious. This is consistent with the children seeing Susan asleep. Barnaby makes a leap forward when he learns that Setwale is another name for valerian, and that valerian has been a remedy in the locale in times gone by.Barnaby and Troy discuss the case. Harrington was drunk when he got home. He wouldn't have noticed if his whiskey tasted a bit strange. And Susan Bartlett was taking pills, some with valerian in them. Small doses, but it wouldn't have been hard to substitute the concentrated stuff. Ms Sullivan confirms that Simon was with her. Harrington's life was insured for 400,000 pounds. Two policies paid for by his wife.

At Jonah's house, someone comes in and hits him over the head with a wrench. He falls to the floor. All the photos are removed and the place is set on fire. At court, the judge says, "I understand the feelings of the Midsomer Worthy community. Setwale Wood has been a place of recreation for generations. Children play there, people walk their dogs, picnic, and I'm sure all sorts of things. But none of that alters the fact that the land belongs to Mr Harrington. As for this long list of objections, nothing warrants an injunction to prevent Mr Harrington selling his wood, or Whitley Estates felling it." The audience sighs.

However, as always, the production values are top notch, with to die for scenery, the idyllic look of it contrasting very well with the story's grimness, and quaint and atmospheric photography. The music fits perfectly, and the theme tune one of the most memorable and instantly recognisable of the genre. Barnaby and Troy exit the courthouse. Simon Bartlett and James Harrington get into a fight. Barnaby goes over and breaks it up. James goes to a playground and speaks to his wife, Caroline Harrington. He has won the court case and will sell his farm and then they can put their separation behind them. Caroline says she can't trust him as long as Susan Bartlett is around. Two farmers of Midsomer Worthy are at loggerheads over the proposed development of Setwale Wood. James Harrington of Abbey Farm wants his land felled, whereas his ex-friend Simon Bartlett of Grange Farm will do anything to stop this going ahead with the help of friend and barrister Bernadette Sullivan. However, all of this is pushed out of their minds when Simon's wife Susan is found dead in the Wood by some local children. Even though her parents don't believe her, Julie Fielding is adamant she saw the woman's body. When Mr Fielding sees the body, too, the next day, it is in the pond in Setwale Wood and it is confirmed that Mrs Bartlett committed suicide. After the trees start to be cut down, another body turns up, leaving Barnaby and Troy to believe that both victims were that of murder. With the help of little Julie and her brother, D.C.I. Barnaby learns of the Wood's history and a web of lies and secrets beneath the surface of this picturesque village. Bernadette Sullivan, Simon's lawyer, goes through papers on her desk. Simon Bartlett comes downstairs putting his shirt on. Bernadette plans to use old English Common law to argue a new case against James.

Julie and Sean arrive at the Barnaby residence. "Is this where Chief Inspector Barnaby lives? We've come a long way on the bus about clues and everything," says Julie. Joyce invites them in. "Are you Mrs Inspector Barnaby?" asks Sean. "I'm ever so hungry." Later that evening, someone lurks outside Victoria Bartlett's home. They watch her through her window. She turns out the lights. The lurker starts cutting flowers. Julie digs around in her mother's garden. She watches Victoria Bartlett next door. Julie goes over to speak to Victoria. Her mom, Denise Fielding, watches her and talks to her husband, Sam Fielding. "She's doing it again. Victoria Bartlett, garden inspection. Every time she tells me how well it's doing she means 'must try harder'." She adds, "Julie's still sulking. She normally forgets these stories after five minutes. I've got to exercise the hounds so she can come with me. I'll go up where they were playing, have a look."

See also

Meanwhile, the script is smart, thought-provoking and suitably grim, the humour also being a breath of fresh air. Nothing felt inconsequential, everything had a point and it was intriguing and maintained attention throughout. The story is absorbing and rich in atmosphere, with some neat twists and turns, a very memorably tense climax and the murderer's identity being one that one doesn't see coming. The characters are suitably colourful and eccentric, though also not what they seem. Baranby and Troy go to speak to James Harrington. He immediately goes at them, "You've got a bloody cheek. Don't think you're going to get away with it. My woods, my timber - that's what the judge said." Barnaby says, "There is a police investigation going on in Setwale Wood. Nobody is allowed in until I'm satisfied the scene has been preserved and the evidence is safe. Mrs Bartlett's body was found in a pond in Setwale Wood this morning. She was dead. The wood belongs to you." James explains that he and Susan dated in their teens. Then he went away to college and she married Simon while he was gone. His wife, Caroline, knew eventually. Recently, Susan made a play for him. James realized he didn't want her. He wanted Caroline, his sons. James says he was in the pub when Susan was killed. He says aren't husbands at the top of the list of suspects? Barnaby says, "I may not know a lot about farming, but I'm very used to separating the sheep from the goats." Julie Fielding tells her brother, Sean Fielding a story.. " The children walked through the woods for hours and hours. The trees got bigger and bigger and it was getting dark. There was lots of thunder and animals made horrid rustling noises in the night - foxes and wolves and a huge big bear." James' body is found dumped in a pond in Setwale Wood. Hannah Harrington identifies James' body. "Yes, that's James, my son. You won't need a doctor to pronounce him dead... I'll be in the yard. George is still alive. At least we might be able to save him." George is the dog.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment