276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Creative Stitches for Contemporary Embroidery: Visual guide to 120 essential stitches for stunning designs

£14.995£29.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Contemporary needlework teacher Sharon Boggon’s forward-thinking ideas will help you view hand embroidery through a vibrant new lens. By using the Web site, you confirm that you have read, understood, and agreed to be bound by the Terms and Conditions. I used several of them to embroider a peter pan collar for a dress I'm making on my sewing machine (see? The students were left with various piles of heat treated fabrics which I asked them to create some kind of composition - here are the resulting samples - Layers of transfer printed CS800 Vilene Spunbond zapped with a heat gun and decorated with frayed organza and embossing powder. There are seven in the group and it is another good group - textile ladies do seem to be good fun in general.

What I love most about the book and Sharon’s ideas is that she opens the way to so many different ways of using stitches. I might also on a big rectangle, mark a couple of other uniform division points for later use, like quarters or thirds, so that my starts and stops tend to align. I have always stitched but focused more on embroidery when I did a Masters degree did it in textiles. This weekend I will be at the NEC Birmingham for the Craft, Hobby and Stitch International trade fair (where I hope to find a replacement heat gun for the one that has been discontinued).Pat Lumsdale is Head of NFWI Unit/Craft Adviser and travels with the ICHF shows promoting the craft courses at the WI College, I always enjoy meeting up with Pat, we always have a good laugh together. I enjoy teaching my experimental textiles and mixed media processes, but I am also thoroughly enjoying creating new work inspired by the amazing light on Loop Head and my years of developing new textile techniques. This book however, gave me a guide to the basics of embroidery stitches and how to apply them in various combinations to make something unique.

We can personalise any item by printing, sublimation or embroidering your requirements on a huge range of garments and other goods including Clocks, Coasters, Cushions, Digital Desk Clocks, Fridge Magnets, Jigsaw Puzzles, Keyrings, Leather Coin Wallets, Luggage Tags, Metal or Plastic I. Aquinas College is a Catholic sixth form college providing for 1800 students over the age of sixteen. If you are working through any yearly stitch challenge – whether it’s Sharon’s TAST, any of the Year in Stitches initiatives, or your own Stitch Fun 2021 sampler – I think this book would be a really good companion!The Brighton show is one of the smallest shows that ICHF (International Craft and Hobby Fairs) offers as The Brighton Centre is a very small venue. If you were to break the book down into basic stitches, there are probably about thirty overall that could be considered different stitches from each other. Brenda is well known for the remarkable courses that are delivered at Inkberrow Design Centre and for the fashion shows that she puts on at the larger ICHF shows. Don't get me wrong, I stuck my finger who knows how many times but I find myself admiring the stitches I made on my collar over and over again. It’s here that you’ll learn how to move fearlessly from the basics of the stitch into more inventive territory.

Creative Stitches for Contemporary Embroidery looks like a very interesting book and full of stitches and unusual stitches which would be great to use on a project and it looks a great book for inspiration and exploration which you could incorporate into your 2021 sampler for example.Garne, Perlen, Farben, Stoffe und ihre jeweiligen Charakteristika sowie ihr Potential für das freiere Sticken werden werden vorgestellt. Apparently the latter is correct but I like the former so that is the word I am going to use - I have no doubt a certain gentleman in the Portsmouth area will now be sitting with his head in his hands and shaking his head saying No! It’s a good, solid book on stitch interpretation – both inspiring and instructive, when it comes to making one comfortable and confident playing with stitches. There are 120 interpreted stitches in the book, overall – all of which can serve as a springboard for your own experiments.

Sharon presents the stitches through clear photos and explanations, making it easy to grasp the basics of the stitch and to move into interpreting the stitch in different ways. I decided to learn crewel embroidery and am using “Crewel Embroidery a Practical Guide” by Shelagh Amor. No mention of being creative and making up your own composite stitches but there is nothing stopping you doing that. They also help us to enforce our Terms of Use, prevent fraud and maintain the security of our services. I have taught crazy quilting and hand embroidery internationally, and online, and was a lecturer in the Textiles Department at the Canberra School of Art at the Australian National University.An essential guide to surface embroidery with 120 contemporary stitches, including left-handed stitches, and step-by-step photos. Keep it on your work table, and if the Muses aren’t stirring by themselves, you can prod them into gear by browsing through the pages of this book! These stitches are explored in depth, with all kinds of variations so that you have a good idea about what you can do with the stitch and where else you can take it. Eventually, I migrated to surface embroidery, teaching myself with whatever I could get my hands on.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment