276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Most of Nora Ephron: The ultimate anthology

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hugely entertaining...What made Ephron great was that she took the very things seriously that others dismissed as frivolous, Cosmopolitan, Teflon, breast size, and, most of all, herself. Entertainment Weekly Ephron rewrote a script for All the President's Men in the mid-1970s, along with her then husband, investigative journalist Carl Bernstein. While the script was not used, it was seen by someone who offered Ephron her first screenwriting job, for a television movie, [12] which began her screenwriting career. [19] 1980s [ edit ] Ephron's publisher confirmed earlier in the day that the 71-year-old was gravely ill, hours after one of her friends, the celebrity columnist Liz Smith, published what appeared to be a memorial.

Meh. Most of this was written around 2005 - 2007, and it's mostly just rantings about Bush and Watergate. My least favorite section by far; I skimmed it because of that, and also because it was repetitive. Another cornerstone for the 3-star rating. It is great to see the variety of Ephron’s career. She’s best known as a screenwriter, but that’s far from all she did. Editor Robert Gottlieb states that the point of the book is to show the richness of her writing and the amazing variety of her career, which it does, but in the end I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

Ephron's directorial debut was the film This Is My Life (1992). Ephron and her sister Delia Ephron wrote the script based on Meg Wolitzer's novel This is Your Life. [11] The film is about a woman who decides to pursue a career in stand-up comedy after inheriting a substantial sum of money from a relative. [11] In a conversation released by Criterion Channel between Lena Dunham, and Ephron, she stated "That movie I made completely for Woody Allen." She later stated in the conversation that he saw it and liked it. [23] When writers die, it's hard to know if their work will live on. I'm always amazed at what does or doesn't last –– what seems fresh as time passes, or what takes on that dreaded sepia tint even just a year or two later. Theater review: 'Love, Loss, and What I Wore' at the Geffen Playhouse". Los Angeles Times. May 14, 2010 . Retrieved January 12, 2020. Prior to this summer, though I had read quite a bit of her writing, I had never seen a Nora Ephron movie. No, that’s not quite right. I saw Julie & Julia in theaters. I know: what kind of person knows the essay panning the egg white omelet but not how Harry met Sally? I wandered Central Park while listening to Nora narrate I Remember Nothing. I watched When Harry Met Sally, then Sleepless in Seattle, then You’ve Got Mail. I watched her son Jacob Bernstein’s documentary, Everything is Copy. I reread Heartburn. I read Richard Cohen’s memoir of his friendship with Nora, She Made Me Laugh. I gaped at the chapter in which Cohen wrote that he personally would have preferred for Nora to keep the whole sordid business of Carl Bernstein’s affair a secret. I read the critic Leon Wieseltier’s Heartburn review , published in Vanity Fair under the pen name Tristan Vox, in which he accused her of child abuse.

Nora Ephron ( / ˈ ɛ f r ə n/ EF-rən; [1] May 19, 1941– June 26, 2012) was an American journalist, writer, and filmmaker. She is best known for writing and directing romantic comedy films and received numerous accolades including a British Academy Film Award as well as nominations for three Academy Awards, a Golden Globe Award, a Tony Award and three Writers Guild of America Awards. [2] O'Grady, Megan (September 30, 2014). "Lena Dunham Talks to _Vogue'_s Book Critic About Her New Collection of Essays, Not That Kind of Girl, and Why Now Is Such a Pivotal Time for Women". Vogue . Retrieved April 1, 2020.Collins, Gail (June 27, 2012). "Nora Ephron, the Best Mailgirl Ever". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331 . Retrieved November 26, 2016. Nora Ephron and Lena Dunham". Criterion Channel. Archived from the original on March 21, 2020 . Retrieved March 21, 2020.

Many of Ephron's friends and fans were left to reminisce intensely about her, or to try and figure her out and sort of open her up like a Chinese puzzle box. This omnibus goes far in clarifying who Ephron was, not just as a sentimental favorite, but as a writer and thinker. There are very few writers who can survive the reading of their collected works. Judgments are made, patience tested, fondness has a tendency to wither on the vine. While I would not place Ephron in league with Shakespeare or Pushkin, much like David Foster Wallace, her writing is authentically evocative; she has a fertile mind and a warmly ironic way with words. In fact, I recommend her essays above almost all - and make no mistake, almost all is the nest in which they are housed. After a satire in Monocle she wrote lampooning the New York Post caught the editor's eye, Ephron accepted a job at the Post, where she worked as a reporter for five years. [12] In 1966, she broke the news in the Post that Bob Dylan had married Sara Lownds in a private ceremony. [17] After becoming a successful writer, she wrote a column on women's issues for Esquire. [10] In this position, Ephron made a name for herself by writing " A Few Words About Breasts", a humorous essay about body image that "established her as the enfant terrible of the New Journalism". [18] While at Esquire, she took on subjects as wide-ranging as Dorothy Schiff, her former boss and owner of the Post; Betty Friedan, whom she chastised for pursuing a feud with Gloria Steinem; and her alma mater Wellesley, which she said had turned out "a generation of docile and unadventurous women". [12] A 1968 send-up of Women's Wear Daily that she wrote for Cosmopolitan resulted in threats of a lawsuit from WWD. [12] I cried. It was great. Also, I didn't know that Betty Freidan became such a fractious and narrow-minded figure in her later years.

When your children are teenagers, it's important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment