276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lynch on Lynch

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

An enjoyable if somewhat anodyne trawl through the life and career of the wonderful David Lynch. I listened to the audiobook which is enlivened by David Lynch adding off the cuff memories and anecdotes to the more formal chapters of the print version of the book. Battaglia, Andy. “David Lynch Dines in Celebration of His Suitably Odd Art Show in New York,” Art News, 6 November 2019. Web.

Twin Peaks Fans Ecstatic As David Lynch Brings Art Exhibition To MIMA.” Artlyst, 13 November 2014. Web. Eichel, Molly. “Why Philly cares so much about David Lynch and why you should too.” Philly.com, 12 September 2015. Web.While Twin Peaks got David to the very center of television and popular culture, he didn’t want to be in the center. David Lynch: Between Two Worlds, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, Queensland, March 14–June 7, 2015. (Catalogue)

David Lynch ‘Big Bongo Night’ at Pace Gallery, New York” (Pace Gallery exhibition review). Mousse Magazine, 28 November 2022. https://www.moussemagazine.it/magazine/david-lynch-pace-gallery-new-york-2022/ David Lynch and William Eggleston: Photographs, Galerie Karl Pfefferle, Munich, Germany, March 20–May 9, 2009.Hundley, Jessica. “New David Lynch Exhibit Explores Filmmaker’s Multidisciplinary Career.” The Hollywood Reporter, 3 December 2013.

Dark Night of the Soul (exhibition catalogue). Written and produced by Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse; visuals by David Lynch. New York: PowerHouse Books, 2009.Edquist, Grace. “The Expanded Consciousness of David Lynch’s ‘Squeaky Flies in the Mud’.” Vogue, 8 November 2019. Web. There is a theory that Lynch himself doesn’t always know what is going on in his stories. He shoots this down. “I need to know for myself what things mean and what’s going on. Sometimes I get ideas, and I don’t know exactly what they mean. So I think about it, and try to figure it out, so I have an answer for myself.” The reason I don’t actually feel sad for him is that he has made some choices that I don’t respect at all. In his pursuit of the art life and, ironically, “finding the transcendent within” and world peace through transcendental meditation, he has left behind three wives and one partner, and his current wife is not very connected to him anymore (when she wanted to have children, he told her, “Why do you want children? Am I not enough for you? Well, if you want a child, then that’s up to you, but don’t expect me to be very involved with any of it.” She had a child and, true to his word, he disappeared into his work and pulled far away from the family.). His exes seem extraordinarily gracious toward him (and since all of them after the first one were the woman he left the previous one for, they certainly had some idea what they were getting into), but that doesn’t change the fact—unstated in the book, of course—that Lynch is a self-centered, immature person.

if you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch a big fish, you’ve got to go deeper’. I found one heretic, a Dutch journalist, who confessed he had been bored. Other guests bristled: could he not see the brilliance? The Dutchman filed a negative review but his editors ran a different one, proclaiming a television milestone. The Lynch train was rolling.White, Nicole. “David Lynch: Big Bongo Night” (Pace Gallery exhibition Review). The Brooklyn Rail, 15 December 2022. https://brooklynrail.org/2023/12/artseen/David-Lynch-Big-Bongo-Night Now for the photography part. Great stuff also, but unfortunately some are missing, things that I felt were important, the major thing is clearly the Small Stories Photographs, an exhibition I could see, twice and was somewhat sad about the fact that there were only two photographs from that series - Unless I'm totally off, there isn't a book about that exhibition. And I hope this doesn't have anything to do with the bad reception that was in a way represented by a bad french review. I connected with that exhibition and would love to revisit those photographs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment