276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bartoline Creocote Creosote Substitute Light Brown Timber Wood Fence Treatment 4Ltr (Pack of 4)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

NYTEX 441 and NYTEX 4700 are high–viscosity, ready-made bitumen-oil blends that provide superior hydrophobic properties and serve as carriers of the active components in industrial wood protection.” My question is.... What can I do to allow me to cover over it with a conventional stain such as Ronseal, etc? I realise that the oily nature of the creosote substitute will present problems with something taking hold or penetrating the boards but if there's something I can do is like to consider it.

The author creates the content based on their knowledge and experience of the subject. In this case, Daniel Woodley tested both light and dark Creocote on a fence panel and provided advice based on his past experience with both the original Creosote and the substitute, Creocote.

Creosote isnt banned, but we amatuers are no longer allowed to use it. However if you know of a profesional, they may have some and can use it. Legally Autumn Statement: Workers to pay less in national insurance – but rate cuts don't offset the freezing of personal tax thresholds The bitumen acts as a binder, has a water-repellent function and gives the dark pigmentation that is desirable in industrial wood treatment. It takes ages to dry– In very dry and warm conditions, I found it can dry enough for a recoat in 48 hours, but I’ve also seen it take several days, so if you plan on using several coats, it could take a while to get the desired finish. The fence will also stay greasy for quite a long time too. A year or two ago we had new fencing erected around our property which I stained with a creosote substitute. This was done to save on costs with no particular thought given to down the line. Now I'm down the line and have kids and pets wanting to play in the garden and hang off the fencing and doing so can often leave the oily residue you associate with the product, especially in the warmer weather when they all want to run around outside.

I'm looking to benefit from the accumulated years of experience on the forum for my own benefit if possible. Coverage 1 litre to 6-8 sq metres per coat. Apply 2 coats for best results to bare or stained wood, not painted.

Wishing I'd never been so tight in the first place now as I realise it's going to involve some hard work and money now to reverse my initial decision. We review the content yearly to ensure it’s still correct and relevant – regulations change and new products frequently come onto the market and we want our readers to know that we do our best to keep our advice current. The original Creosote is made from coal tar and is used on timber telegraph poles as a waterproofer and preservative – wood-boring insects won’t go near a pole treated with Creosote, and the waterproofing features keep rot away. It’s also used by farmers and professional gardeners on fences and timber products.

However, in 2003, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) changed the law so that creosote was only available to professional users and has been withdrawn from sale for retail customers in the UK. This is due to its toxicity and potential harmful effects on health. I have opened this product this morning and unfortunately it is not 100% traditional creosote, I have used creosote for many years and know the difference, this smells like old engine oil. Martin Lewis: What the Autumn Statement means for you – including wages, benefits, pensions, ISAs, national insurance and more It brings out the features of the timber– Creocote brings out the original features of the timber, such as grain and knots, so if you like that natural look to your timber, Creocote is probably for you. Personally, I love the finished look but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and it’s not the easiest product to use.WOCO Creocote is available in a traditional ‘nut brown’ shade and is ideally suited to rough woods on sheds, fences and barns, providing excellent surface water repellency, thus restricting any weather damage. NatWest, RBS and Ulster Bank to close at least 172 branches in 2023/24 – here's the full list, plus alternatives Whichever you prefer to use just, give us a call for next day delivery and either way we can help keep all your fencing and exterior woodwork protected throughout the year. I think it may depend a bit on whether or not your fence has been painted with a particular product before. If it's just the "normal" type of wood-preserver (rather than a type of paint) then creosote - or today's substitute - will work fine. If it's solid panels e.g. no visible gaps, you could probably spray the larger part of it, but creosote type stuff can and does kill greenery, so where the spray falls (other than on the wood) be prepared for any plants or grass it touches to die off. Having said that, I still wouldn't use anything else for a fence!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment