276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fresh Water for Flowers: OVER 1 MILLION COPIES SOLD

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are scenes where anticipation is palpable and scenes where lovers are in bed together for days. In 1997, Violette and Philippe Toussaint arrived in Bourgogne to become the cemetery keepers at Brancion-en-Chalon Cemetery. essa mensagem de esperança e capacidade de regeneração que está patente no título original, “Changer L’Eau des Fleurs”, que adquiriu um carácter mais fatídico e funesto em português, com “A Breve Vida das Flores”, quando, para mim, a ideia é a oposta: rega-se uma planta ou muda-se a água a um jarro para que a vida se prolongue, para que haja uma segunda oportunidade na vida, a hipótese de ser feliz mesmo quando se é menos jovem. There were no photos on the wall or colorful tablecloths or couches— just lots of plywood and chairs to sit on.

She began life as an orphan, made a bad marriage at a young age, has experienced an unspeakable personal tragedy and has only 2 close friends. At the heart of the novel is Violette’s relationship with Philippe Toussaint, a man who will become her husband. This beautifully-crafted tale highlights love, sadness, loss and gain in a special part of the world.the story of Violette who has been living on her own as a cemetery keeper in a small town in Bourgogne for many years. I laughed and cried in every chapter, started highlighting passages, then gave up when I saw there was something on every page. Violette Touissant never knew a family home, having been given up at birth and fostered out over the years. Julien is not the only one to guard a painful secret: his mother’s story of clandestine love breaks through Violette’s carefully constructed defences to reveal the tragic loss of her daughter, and her steely determination to find out who is responsible. It was only when she took up with Phillipe, a gorgeous blond womanizer, and became pregnant, that she became part of a family.

I have no problem with explicit sex yet here I found less was more in a way that was, well, gratifying. Sottile figura che vigila sul decoro delle tombe, annota i discorsi funebri, coltiva l’orto e i fiori, ma soprattutto ascolta chi ne ha bisogno. Beautifully translated from French to English by Hildegarde Serle Fresh Water for Flowers is an International Bestseller having sold over 1 million copies worldwide. Grief, regret, love, loss and tragedy are very much central to this story as Violette’s past slowly unravels.Valerie Perrin’s delightful Fresh Water for Flowers is a funny and moving story of one woman’s belief that everything will turn out right.

Violette's co-workers are a colorful bunch, and we read about clumsy Gaston falling into an open grave; Elvis singing his namesake's songs; handsome Father Duras inspiring ladies to come to church; reliable Nono helping out when Violette is away; the undertakers fretting when business is bad; and more.Violette’s routine is disrupted one day by the arrival of police chief Julien Seul, wishing to deposit his mother’s ashes on the gravesite of a complete stranger. Now an adult, her life has traversed a multitude of obstacles, having experienced many hardships that have shaped her into the solitary individual she is today. In fact, there’s quite a lot going on in Fresh Water for Flowers, and although overall I really enjoyed the novel, I did wonder sometimes if it needed quite so many elements. Fresh Water for Flowers is the most extraordinary, moving tribute to the resilience of human spirit. She opens the gates in the morning and closes them in the evening; attends the interments and transcribes the eulogies into her journal; offers refreshments to - and chats with - the people who come to visit their loved ones; grows and sells flowers; takes care of graves when family members are away; looks after pets who arrive with their deceased owners and never leave; deals with teenagers who sneak into the cemetery at night (this is a hoot!

A heartwarming depiction of unexpected connection and the poetry of everyday life, Perrin’s beautifully observed story of a cemetery caretaker coming to terms with the loss of her daughter combines gentle humour with emotional insight to wondrous effect. Fresh Water for Flowers is a moving and lyrical portrait of one woman's quest for happiness and love. It really is a remarkable novel and shows the resilience of the human spirit, the capacity that we all have for growth.

Julien probes the relationship between Irene and Gabriel, and in Scheherazade-like fashion, slowly spins out the tale for Violette.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment