276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Piledriver

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We sort of graduated while we were on Pye and our producer at the time John Schroeder (a very good producer) realised it was going in a different direction, the bluesier boogie direction. Not sure what the background was but there appears to be a picture of said hand on the inside sleeve of “On The Level”. So we started playing that and then we started writing stuff like ‘Don’t Waste My Time’ and all kinds of things that had that sort of shuffle rhythm. The two albums that preceded Piledriver, Ma Kelly’s Greasy Spoon and Dog Of Two Head, showed the glimmers of the band’s now-famous style, but Piledriver would be the first time that Status Quo boogied and shuffled their way into a trademark. I have a version that is exactly the same as this one but 'Printed and made by Howards Printers (Slough) Ltd.

As well as the unparalleled joy of keeping the publication alive, you'll receive benefits including exclusive editorial, podcasts, and specially-commissioned music by some of our favourite artists.

The above US/CANADA dates are direct from a crew-memberspersonal archives and more details are still being sought on dates after this. Based heavily on the fashion of a single Doors tune, Quo found their rhythm, and the result was their biggest success to date. None of it was played individually like playing in the studio on your own – except for the vocals, we always did the vocals separate. But with Piledriver we were playing that stuff live and when we went into the studio we were ready to go! FR: It’s not necessarily my decision to end it now, but it can’t go on without me, and I’m not going!

After their Rehearsals and some more soundchecks the band was heavily pissed off because the backstage area was the living room from the family Wölki, the owners of the club. There was this couple dancing really kind of slinkily to this dunk-du-dunk-du-dunk-du-dunk kind of rhythm and I just looked at him and he looked at me and the hairs stood up on our arms. The soft rock intro gradually shifts to a more powerful guitar piece in a way that is reminiscent of early Fleetwood Mac and has that band's delicate sense of dynamics. Piledriver is currently seeing a reissue in honour of the band’s upcoming shows, which are to be the last to feature the album’s line-up, known as the Frantic Four. In a retrospective review, AllMusic applauded the album as both crowd-pleasing and moderately ambitious, commenting that "Despite the name, most of the music on Piledriver is varied and subtle enough to be interesting.

Though Status Quo is best known for fast and undistinguished boogie rock, they were quite capable of subtlety when it suited them. We found out, but only when we got to Australia, that ‘Slade Alive’ had gone ‘Gold’ 6 times and we had 3 singles in their Top 20. Without any privacy the band was too upset and made a dicision to leave the club only 3 hours before the start of the regular gig in the evening.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment