276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Flang Dang

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. And I have days when I’m sort of spiritual and I have days when I’m not, It’s a constant conversation.

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.Never a huge singles collector I also bought Andy Fairweather Low’s 45, Wide Eyed and Legless; and that’s probably where our paths ceased to cross until now. where to go for a Favourite Song; it’ll come as no surprise that Ska 67 is a prime contender, as it neatly mixes a traditional chunky riff with some guitar based melody which could be from the first Specials album and bizarrely Andy actually sounds authentic as sings like he was an Alpha Boys School alumni!

I was due to be at the studio with another band when Andy was actually recording this fabulous album. After an interval of 16 years, here he is again at his sweet and soulful musical best with the kind of record that will surely delight his fans.I asked Paul (Beavis), The Low Riders’ drummer if he’d come and sort of duplicate the drum patterns that I had, and he said yes, and off we went. Wobei der sensibel-siedende Drummer das Kompliment etwa an seine beherzte Besenarbeit auf der Snare bescheiden von sich weist: "Ich brauchte wirklich nur die heißen Rhythmen auf seinen Demos nachzuahmen, aller Beifall gebührt Andy! He hadn’t planned to make another album, but the lockdown had created the situation that he says left him thinking, “Why not? Auf seinem brandneuen Studioalbum FLANG DANG - in herrlicher Wortwitztradition von LA BOOGA ROOGA oder MEGA SHEBANG - zelebriert er diese und andere frische Kompositionen jedoch fast im Alleingang: zurückgekehrt in die Waliser Rockfield-Studios, in denen er bereits Ende der Sixties unter anderem mit Dave Edmunds zauberte. Andy is without one of the greatest artists this country has ever produced from those early years with Amen Corner, through touring the world with Eric Clapton and Roger Waters.

FLANG DANG oozes with the kind of blues, country, and gospel that Andy has made his own; a style once described as a “prayer without pretension in every infectious song. The only thing I can’t stand is the drum machine that I use, so this time, I thought, ‘I’ll tell you what, I’ll go to Rockfield, and I’ll do my demos but at a better level, better technical level, and with a proper drummer’.When I was about 14 I once bought an LP which had Amen Corner on one side and The Small Faces on the other and as my Record Collection was in its infancy, I played the Hell out of it! In between I’ve seen him countless times as the gunslinger beside many household names in the music business; where he can play rhythm guitar as well as the best of them; and when necessary step back into the shadows to play ‘invisible lead guitar’ when the Star still can’t play guitar and sing at the same time (guesses on a postcard to the usual address). Sometimes when I review albums I feel obliged to dance around the commerciality of what’s on offer; but here Andy Fairweather Low goes out of his way to create massive melodies that are eminently danceable and add them to uber-hooks and monster riffs on songs that need to be listened to as there are stories in there that will appeal to grown ups the world over. The solo albums like the classic Spider Jiving, the incredible out put of superb songs, to these days with his own band The Low Riders. In "Ska 67" erweist sich der fast 75-Jährige als ernsthafte Madness-Konkurrenz, und signalisiert dabei lyrisch sein Durchhaltevermögen: "Nobody gets to turn my lamp down low" - auch hier wieder mit wehmütiger Evergreen-Anleihe!

Ein weiterer waffenscheinpflichtiger Groove wird mit einem Zungenbrecher gekoppelt: "You can vip-vop and Be-Bop and shout Bam-a-lam", heißt es in "Looking Down", und es brennt die Hütte. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe Andy Fairweather Low’s singing style; but everything I try to use sounds ‘wrong’ and ‘critical’ …. You don’t have to pay, you know, you can have itfor nothing, just come down and do something, it will be good to see you’, Kingsley said.

Every song on the album was written by Andy and oozes with the blues and gospel style that he has made his own. Genauer gesagt, man konnte sich jahrelang ans Verwöhnen gewöhnen, wenn AFL auf seinem letzten Studiowerk ZONE-O-TONE Nick Pentelows Sax und Klarinette, Paul Carracks Hammond, Dave Bronzes elastischen Contra-Bass und dazu einen Bläsersatz an den Start brachte, mit Sousaphone, Trompete, Euphonium und Posaune. Another oddity here is the way Andy Fairweather Low slips and slides seamlessly between genres without jarring styles; which is why the Skiffle beat of Too Many Friends still works although juxtaposed between the punchy swing of Keep Your Faith and the Bluebeat/Lovers Rock melody that pervades through Looking Down and all sound like close relations courtesy of Andy Fairweather Low’s singing. Now with this new album other than Paul Beavis on drums its all AFL, and is one of those albums you'll never stop playing certtainly more great songs, all eleven of them here. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment