276Ā°
Posted 20 hours ago

Nora Goes Off Script: The unmissable summer romance for fans of Beth O'Leary and Rosie Walsh!

Ā£9.9Ā£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Everything about this book seemed rom-com to me. (There I go judging books by their covers again. šŸ™„) However, it was all the rom and no com. I donā€™t even think there was a line I smiled at. It seemed very serious a lot of the time which made it difficult for me to entirely connect with. I also didnā€™t think the story was very convincing. A starry-eyed romantic, a cynical writer, and (the ashes of) an elderly woman take the road trip of aĀ lifetime that just might upend everything they believe about true love. The morning after the crew leaves, Nora finds Leo on her porch with a half-empty bottle of tequila and a proposition. He'll pay a thousand dollars a day to stay for an extra week. Seven days: it's the blink of an eye or an eternity, depending on how you look at it. It's enough time to fall in love. Enough time to break your heart...

Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan - Really Into This Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan - Really Into This

Nora and Leo - they were so bland. There was ZERO chemistry. I felt like I was missing parts because it read very much like ā€œI sat on his bed, we made love, I woke up the next day, then we ate dinner, and I went to bed.ā€ Itā€™s missing so much plot. I just couldnā€™t understand how these two fell in love. Where was the build up?? Nora and I would be BFFs. Sheā€™s tough, disciplined, focused on what she needs todo for herself and her children after her useless husbands up and leaves them. Sheā€™s the type of person who gets stuff done. Writing and Characters: I adore fast-paced, lively, and witty writing and a story with a cute premise! Nora Goes Off Script is warmly told and, in my opinion, the best part is the likable characters. Nora is relatable, Leo is endearing, and the children are winsome! These are characters you can cheer for! The predictable miscommunication/misunderstanding trope makes an obligatory appearance but it comes from an unexpected source which makes it forgivable. This story is also meta in that itā€™s a romance about a romance writer (also Nora is a nod to Nora Ephron).The book starts out and pulled me right in. I was intrigued by the behind-the-scenes look at a film production at Noraā€™s house. Right away I was swept up in Noraā€™s world and enjoyed every minute of my visit with her, Leo, and her kids. Overall, an enjoyable rom-com with little rom-com, but excellent writing and a great main character to help balance things out. Still, Leoā€™s love for the children and their hijinks together was ultimately what made me start to like Leo. He has a parental love story arc with both children (instalove with the daughter, enemies to wary love with the son) that parallels Noraā€™s. At the start of the book, Leo is unmoored after the recent death of his mom which is part of why heā€™s such a mess. It only takes a few days with Noraā€™s family to ground him.

NORA GOES OFF SCRIPT | Kirkus Reviews

Nora was pretty neurotic and I felt like she focused wayyyyy too much on having a lot of money. Not that she ever came out and said that but just from random comments that seemed a bit avaricious in nature. Those comments didnā€™t seem like they lined up with her love of small town, easy living and frugal ways. Her sister was a thousand times worse. And then at the end he justā€¦ proposes?? And they live happily ever after??? They still arenā€™t talking about their problems with each other. Sigh. But I could've accepted that, I could've even cheered for it. If there had been any chemistry between them whatsoever. The storytelling, itā€™s plot, narrative, humor, and developing swooning romantic development between Nora Hamilton and Leo Vance is supreme summertime make believe guy-loves-girl fairytale entertainment. This is a really enjoyable glide through read, itā€™s witty and smart in places sufficient to raise more than a few smiles. The dialogue is great and also has a real feel. The characterisation is excellent, they all feel authentic. Leo is, well, smouldering but also a darn good bloke, Nora is fab and her children Arthur and Bernadette almost steal the show! Noraā€™s house and the surrounding area make you feel a warm glow, itā€™s wonderfully described and you definitely want to be there preferably with Leo!Meanwhile, Nora finds a measure of peace and happiness and in the process finds herself. I appreciated the deeper message that she wanted love but didnā€™t NEED it to be happy or complete. Still, I was rooting for Nora and Leo from beginning to end. OH MY HEART ā™„ļø!!! I can't even tell you how much I LOVED it!!! This is the perfect small town rom-com that will have you smiling, laughing, and crying!! Once I started reading I couldn't stop and I finished it in a day. The characters felt real and relatable and I was so emotionally invested. But she realizes Leo starts to invade more of her space than she expected. Heā€™s at the her patio for watching the sunset with her, appearing in her kitchen to criticize her turkey meatball cooking skills, befriending her daughter Bernadette, giving advises her son not to chase his acting dreams when he becomes adult! Named one of the Best Beach Reads of Summer 2022 by The Washington Post ā€¢ USA Today ā€¢ Cosmopolitan ā€¢ Southern Living ā€¢ Country Living ā€¢ Business Insider ā€¢ Buzzfeed ā€¢ Book Riot ā€¢ The Augusta Chronicle This book will have you smiling, itā€™ll have you laughingā€¦and oh yes, you will be crying! The perfect recipe for a five-star rom com!ā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļø

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment