276°
Posted 20 hours ago

As Good As Dead: TikTok made me buy it! The brand new and final book in the bestselling YA thriller trilogy (A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, Book 3)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There were two things I particularly did not like. First, Jeremy Fletcher had absolutely no redeeming qualities so I never understood why the beautiful Esme was so smitten by him, and he was written as a very bad Southern caricature. For example, the author kept having him misuse the word "y'all" (a contraction for you all), which as a Southerner myself I can tell you is a plural pronoun, even though the fictional Alabama native only used it as singular, which was confusing. It’s all fun and games until YOU’RE the one being stalked and chased by a serial killer . . . cause then you’re AS GOOD AS DEAD. 💀 Pip felt it again; that creeping feeling up her spine, cold and inevitable. Like everything was playing out the way it was always supposed to, from the start. Coming full circle. And she was simply a passenger inside her own body, watching the show play out. This book started off well (if a little surprising for me to discover as it no longer followed the same format as the previous two books). Then about halfway point, it pulled the rug under my feet by handing me the twist (Pip deliberately commits a murder) of a lifetime . . . On the other hand, I can see why it would be the perfect route to take in bringing this trilogy to an end. Taking into account what had happened (Pip losing faith in the justice system, Pip witnessing a murder, Pip feeling guilty about not being able to save someone from book 2, Pip suffering from PTSD), it was only fair that this book would focus on her as all of those surely took a toll on her mentally and then some. It’s just that, along with it, I’m also questioning the believability, e.g.:

However, this is definitely a difficult book. Readers are advised to take their time with it; cherish the juicy flavour of each word strung together in explicitly expressive sentences that portray the never-ending chain of thoughts that go on in a writer’s head as portrayed by Charlotte—the intricate observation skills, the social awkwardness and difficulty in holding on to relationships, the over-thinking and most of all, the moral ambiguity writers face in life. They were in meeting room 4E, on the top floor. Pip asked to take the stairs because if her heart was hammering for that reason, it wasn’t hammering for any other reason. That’s how she rationalized it, why she now went running anytime she felt her chest tighten. Run until there was a different kind of hurt. Looks like Pip is going to have to handle this herself, and when she notices similarities with a closed case of a serial killer, things go from bad to worse. Here she was again, six and a half years after she died, and she was Pip’s only remaining lead. No, not a lead, a lifeline: some strange unknowable force connecting them across time, though they’d never met. Pip wasn’t there to save Andie, but maybe Andie was there to save her.

So, Ravi only wanting to be there for Pip because the author made him believe that she was the only thing he has left, agrees to help her hide and frame what she did 😃. The fact that the author knew that if they just made Pip do it on her own it would make her seem like a monster so they had to throw innocent, lovable, Ravi in the mix to justify her actions. I mean he literally tries to justify Pips actions FOR her. 🤧 Overall i loved this book so much and it was an amazing final to this triology that will always be one of my fav murder mystery series. I love Pip and her story and the side charracters so much <3 This revieuw doesnt contain any big spoilers on the plot of this book or one the ones from the previous two books so it should be a safe space to enter ☪☾✩ Second, the ending would have been so much more fulfilling if Charlotte had at last clashed with her BFF/Rival, or even if Esme had been shown in the final scene she was mentioned in. The author, Elizabeth Evans, keeps the two stories in synch, they both reach the climax at the same time, the recounting of the actual betrayal 20 years earlier comes at virtually the same time as the climax of the reason why Esme re-entered Charlotte's life 20 years later

She tried to act normal, natural, like she didn’t know she was being watched. And she couldn’t help but wonder if that’s what normal was for her now: an act. A lie. How is it that after committing rape and a number of murders the DT Killer was easily deveated by AN 18 YEAR OLD? Was it his skills getting rusty? Was it purely him underestimating his victim? Was it all because it was destiny and he had it coming? Huh. I suppose it’s all of the above. I also love the relationship between Pip And Ravii they are so pure and adorable together and m heart loves these two. Team Ravi and Pip forever ok bye now. * cries *

More in Books

There is a lot to really enjoy in this story and there is great energy to the writing, as well as some fine characterization' - Peter James, award-winning and no.1 bestselling crime thriller author of Detective Superintendent Roy Grace series And Pip saw them right now, staring straight through her. Dead eyes encased in the head of a dead pigeon sprawled on the front drive. Glassy and lifeless, except for the movement of her own reflection within them, bending to her knees and reaching out. Not to touch it, but to get just close enough.

Pip’s gut twisted with guilt; this was all her fault. Her family forced into a performance, trying twice as hard with her because she could barely try at all. Pip's character is beguiling than ever. I love seeing how much Pippa had grown; from the good girl we used to see, to this morally grey character that we least expected. She's become harried, and less strait-laced as one might expect from someone with a history of becoming involved in murder investigations, yet still so identifiable that it seemed like I was on the dark, terrible ride with her. And you.” He clapped his hands together, surprising Pip. “So, the other party is in the meeting room, all ready to go. Unless you have any questions beforehand.” He glanced at Roger. “I think we should probably get started.” It began okay. I wasn’t immensely intrigued to begin with, the writing a little repetitive and out of character, but I found it fine as I understand what Pip had been through after Stanley’s death and that she was obviously really struggling with PTSD, though her coping mechanisms were not AT ALL what I expected of her. Her dad caught her eye. “You nervous about the meeting?” he asked over the screeching of the train’s wheels as it slowed into Grand Central. “It will be fine. Just listen to Roger, OK? He’s an excellent lawyer. Knows what he’s talking about.”The narration is a reminder of the likes of Jerome K Jerome’s classic, ‘Three Men in a Boat’; of course, that was more humourous—Evans’ book, though, is more serious. Nevertheless, it does come across as a friendly encounter with the author, who could just as well be sitting across a coffee table and narrating stories to the reader, one after the other, in rapid succession.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment