276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Snow White in New York

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Fiona French is an extraordinary artist . . . here the style is New York in the age of jazz, and very spectacular it is.' ( Signal) The thing about Matt Phelan is that he rarely does the same story twice. About the only thing you can count on with him is that he loves history and the past. Indeed, between showing off a young Buster Keaton ( Bluffton) and a ravaged Dust Bowl setting ( The Storm in the Barn) it’s possible “Snow White” is just an extension of his favorite era. As much a paean to movies as it is fairytales and graphic novels, Phelan limits his word count and pulls off a tale with truly striking visuals and killer emotional resonance. I don’t think I’ve ever actually enjoyed the story of Snow White until now. Hand this book to graphic novel fans, fairytale fans, and any kid who’s keen on good triumphing over evil. There might be one or two such children out there. This book is for them.

Snow White in New York | Centre for Literacy in - CLPE

Actually I came across this book while I was browsing something else, and the summary intrigued me. Snow White isn't a favorite fairy tale of mine (that honor goes to Beauty and the Beast), so to see it combined with a historical period I am extremely interested in??? HELL YEAHThis is a very short illustrated picture book in which the tale of Snow White is relocated to 1920’s New York, (think Great Gatsby era) and the illustrations are absolutely fantastic.

Snow White in New York - AbeBooks 9780192798084: Snow White in New York - AbeBooks

Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Old_pallet IA18127 Openlibrary_edition I really liked the illustrations in this, they were beautiful and very film noir which I’ve never seen in a graphic novel before. Although I don’t read a lot of graphic novels so that may be why… Modern view of the fairy tale Snow White set in New York. Follows the same story line - Evil stepmother, 7 men, poisoned and finds love at the end. Quite interesting to see how the fairytale takes place in today's society. Creative writing for children to see how other fairy tales could have a modern twist. Henri alluded to Snow in New York in a diary entry of March 5, 1902: “Painted snow storm. street. high houses with well of sky between. gray looming sky. brownish houses near horizon. figures. red note electric street lamp. snow.” He identified the exact subject in his Record Book: “N.Y. down E. on 55th St. from 6 Ave. Brown houses at 5 Ave. storm effect. snow. wagon to right.” [2] [2]The wavy, watercolor art of the book is beautiful and creates a dream-like atmosphere. In some scenes, it was frustrating because I was unsure of what I was seeing or why. But, dreams are like that, I guess. On the whole, it works beautifully. A lovely enchanting book about a knight who had never fought a dragon and a dragon who has never fought a knight! An interesting twist on the usual traditional tale! Leslie Katz, “The World of the Eight,” Arts Yearbook 1 (1957): 70. Henri’s urban snowscape is fundamentally different from those by impressionist artists of the same period (see, for example, [fig. 2] [fig. 2] Camille Pissarro, The Boulevard Montmartre on a Winter Morning, 1897, oil on canvas, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Gift of Katrin S. VIetor, in loving memory of Ernest G. Vietor, 1960): it depicts an unspectacular side street in the vicinity of his studio, rather than an imposing view of a major avenue; there is nothing narrative, anecdotal, or prettified about the image; the straightforward, one-point perspective composition is devoid of trivial details; the exceptionally daring, textured brushwork (especially noticeable in the center foreground) has more in common with a preparatory oil sketch, or pochade, than a finished oil painting; and the somber palette creates an oppressive atmosphere. Although more conventional artists exploited snow for its picturesque quality, Henri’s snow is streaked with mud and gravel, a phenomenon that he emphasized in his thumbnail sketch of the painting in his Record Book. His fluid technique conveys a sense of energy and immediacy, and reflects an extensive firsthand knowledge, gained primarily through Henri’s numerous excursions to Europe, of the art of Frans Hals (Dutch, c. 1582/1583 - 1666), Diego Velázquez (Spanish, 1599 - 1660), and Edouard Manet (French, 1832 - 1883). [4] [4] Enter or exit from Constitution Avenue, 4th Street, or 7th Street. The Madison Drive entrance is currently closed. A sharply witty update of the traditional fairy story. Fiona French's stylish, twenties illustrations are full of subtle visual jokes, which will delight older readers.' ( Children's Books of the Year)

Year 4 English – W/B 8th June 2020 – Orchards Junior School

Matt studied film and theater in college with the goal of one day writing and directing movies. But his first love was always drawing, and the more he saw the wonderful world of children’s books, the more he realized that this was the place for him. Being an illustrator is in many ways like being an actor, director, cinematographer, costumer, and set designer rolled into one. Yes, the artwork fits the mood of the 1930s NYC well and it does have a cinematic feel. Oh, and I do love the use of color: Samuel Swift, New York Mail & Express, April 8, 1902; the Brooklyn Eagle, April 4, 1902; both quoted in Bennard B. Perlman, Robert Henri: His Life and Art (New York, 1991), 49. Nevertheless, Snow in New York was one of only two pictures that sold (the second has not been identified). Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 154, repro.

This is a really interesting take on the traditional tale, and I felt that it was quite intriguing to change the time period to the 1920's, and revolve the events around a different setting. However, I do feel that the ending of the text was somewhat anti-climatic and did not give a reasonable explanation for Snow White's revival. I had been really enjoying the twist up until then. American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 66, repro. Those who reviewed the 1902 Macbeth Gallery exhibition evidently did not single out Snow in New York for discussion, but they did react to Henri’s bold technique. Arthur Hoeber complained that “not infrequently Mr. Henri leaves off where the real difficulties of picture-making begin.” [5] [5]

Snow white in new york | PPT - SlideShare Snow white in new york | PPT - SlideShare

Left to fend for herself in the wild city, Snow White finds work singing with the seven jazz-men and, discovered by a handsome music reporter, becomes the Belle of New York City once more. this is a retelling of snow white that u really shouldn’t call a retelling because it’s more of a “resetting” because, like, the only thing they really changed is the setting. that's literally it. like, sure, why not. Phelan cleverly uses this urban setting to tell Snow White's story and explore class relationships. Snow's relationship with the "dwarfs" here is much more meaningful than the Disneyfied version.

Snow's mother-in-law is an actress and the 7 dwarves are now the 7 orphans or something. I don't get who the prince is. I was an the verge of giving this 2 stars, but I decided that by using our knowledge of the story it was worth 3. This is close to be a wordless story. Oversized, uncommonly dynamic illustrations spark an otherwise slight and disjointed story about a selfish young man named Ojo, who refuses anyone who asks for help. When bid to become king of Continue reading » I know this graphic novel is getting a lot of praise for the illustrations but, unfortunately, even this aspect of Snow White didn't impress me that much. Brown, Milton W. One Hundred Masterpieces of American Painting from Public Collections in Washington, D.C. Washington, D.C., 1983: 124-125, color pl. I particularly liked how the mirror was portrayed as a 'newspaper', something very relevant to society today and the prince, now a reporter. The writer/illustrator has thought long and hard about the adaptation of the book and this shows in the imagery used in the book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment