276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Into the Forest

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Entre récit initiatique, introspection, roman survival, découverte de l’animal en soi, écoute de ses instincts, de sa nature profonde, de femme, de mère, de soeur, de la force du lien et de l’amour…. Ce roman avait tout pour me plaire: il m’a subjuguée! Merry semi-pagan, slightly literary, and very commercial Christmas,” our father would always announce on Christmas morning, when, long before the midwinter dawn, Eva and I would team up in the hall outside our parents’ bedroom. Jittery with excitement, we would plead with them to get up, to come downstairs, to hurry, while they yawned, insisted on donning bathrobes, on washing their faces and brushing their teeth, even—if our father was being particularly infuriating—on making coffee. While I can appreciate what the author was trying to accomplish, setting a (post)apocalyptic story in a place far away from society, as opposed to in the middle of a city where the end of civilization is much more obvious, it was handled clumsily. The prose, while it does have a few good lines, is for the most part overwrought and sometimes even seems full of itself. While I can understand that the story is supposed to be the journal of a booksmart 17-18 year old, it was hard to stand it for an entire novel. The way that the sisters are able to suddenly discover and develop wilderness survival skills on their own with nothing but the help of a dry plant identification book is just silly, and the ending, where they decide to burn their (admittedly already falling apart) house down and go live in the woods is hopelessly immature and doesn't seem to be that well thought out considering the rest of the book is trying to subvert the kind of hopelessly optimistic fairy tale narrative that it turns into. What are the chances that a woman who chooses to save a young boy from certain death by momentarily pretending he is her son, would in a chance encounter reconnect with him many years later on another continent? What are the chances this unexpected reunion would then lead to him becoming her son-in-law by virtue of him falling in love with and marrying her daughter?

In the summer of 1942, the Rabinowitz family narrowly escaped the Nazi ghetto in their Polish town by fleeing to the forbidding Bialowieza Forest. They miraculously survived two years in the woods―through brutal winters, Typhus outbreaks, and merciless Nazi raids―until they were liberated by the Red Army in 1944. After the war they trekked across the Alps into Italy where they settled as refugees before eventually immigrating to the United States.By rights this tale of the complete collapse of society and technology should be a depressing story, but the author has turned it onto a triumph.” Il ne servait ni l’histoire (on n’en parle plus jamais après ce paragraphe, comme si un tel acte pouvait ne laisser aucune trace), ni la psychologie des personnages, ni même le suspense puisqu’elle ne mène vers aucune piste. An excellent choice for serious book clubs that have previously chosen challenging titles like Tatiana de Rosnay’s Sarah’s Key and Irène Némirovsky’s Suite Française." World War II and its effects linger on in our collective memory and this book adds to those memories. These experiences should be remembered. This account of the survival of a small family group brings their remarkable story to life. It was lovingly and professionally written by Rebecca Frankel. This book is a welcome addition to our understanding of these horrific events. Lorsqu’Eva comprend qu’elle est enceinte, les arguments qu’elle invoque pour le garder flirtent avec ceux des anti IVG. Le fœtus est un «bébé » et évidemment qu’elle va le garder car « que pourrait elle faire d’autre? »

How would you answer the question raised by this novel and posed in The Sunday Oregonian:“Where are we heading, and do we know how to survive with our humanity intact if we continue in this direction?” Oh my, what an absolutely awesome read. This is by far one of the best WWII books I have come upon. I came to feel as if I knew Morris and Miriam as my friends. This is my first Rebecca Frankel novel; I will be looking for more. The writing was excellent, the research was stellar. Une prose très belle. C’est court, mais très efficace. Le roman est porté par l’énergie des deux gamines, on est porté par l’espoir. Shortly after Robert's birth, the girls find a man's footprints in the mud around the perimeter of their cabin. Someone has been watching them, essentially lying in wait. There's no telling who it is, what he might want, or what he might do.

Let us help you

French philosopher Gilles Deleuze used the word ‘rhizone’ which maps onto the literary concept of intertextuality. INTERTEXTUALITY: A Discussion with Chad Hegelmeyer Griffiths, Megan. "I Wasn't Hired to Direct Into the Forest – Here's What I Thought of the Film" . Retrieved 30 November 2016. Rebecca Frankel's Into the Forest is a gripping story of love, escape, and survival, from wartime Poland to a courtship in the Catskills. We have differentiated this resource to cater for different abilities, covering simple and more complex sentences. It is useful to allow some of your groups to cut out the sentences from the story to let them edit.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment