276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sepulchre

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Dying in his sepulchre, Kline realises his psychically anticipated doom to have come at the hands of his bodyguard.

Een rustig Engels kustplaatsje wordt plotseling opgeschrikt door een aantal gruwelijke gebeurtenissen. Een heel gezin wordt de dood ingesleurd. Een vliegtuig stort met donderend geweld in zee. Afschuw en angst maken de dorpsbewoners zwijgzaam als het graf.Williamson, J.N., ed. (1988). The Best of Masques. New York City: Berkley Books. ISBN 978-0-425-10693-8.

Some Herbert fans favouring his early more graphic horror work may possibly be easily frustrated or feel let down as it does take a long while for the story to get anywhere near to exhibiting any elements of horror, as it opens out a tale of this international company and their highly valuable secret asset, a bizarre Mr. Klein.

God of Evil: Bel-Marduk, otherworldly visitor to ancient Sumer, demanded regular human sacrifice, venerated corruption, and advanced humanity with intent to enable us to wipe each other out. Chekhov's Gun: Halloran offs three IRA terrorists in the opening chapter, setting himself up as the target near the end of the book. a b Weber, Bruce (24 March 2013). "James Herbert, British Horror Novelist, Dies at 69". The New York Times. Unstoppable Rage: On finding a naked Monk flogging Cora, to their mutual enjoyment, Halloran goes absolutely mental. The Vamp: Subverted; Cora visits Halloran's room for an impromptu liaison - but confesses Kline to have pressured the arrangement, seemingly as a malicious test.

With the threat level against Klein’s life rising, Halloran knows that the most secure place for the strange psychic to be right now is within the huge stone walls of ‘Neath’. But unbeknown to the bodyguard, the estate holds a dark and age-old secret. A secret that inhabits the premises and at the same time secures Kleine’s life within. A secret that began with the very heart of Bel-Marduk. A secret that has now ensnared Liam Halloran into a terrible fate... Early in the book, I was willing to give this one a three-star rating. It wasn’t my favourite James Herbert book, but it had me curious to see what would come next. The ending, however, let me down. When the supernatural was finally explained, it was done so simply and the story came to an far too sudden end. I expected more from this one, finding myself let down by the way things concluded. Basically, I have the same complaints and same praise that I have for most James Herbert books. The overly detailed and gratuitous sex scenes just had me rolling my eyes and rushing through the words as fast as I possibly could. Not quite as bad, but also useless and jarring is the switch to random people's viewpoints during an event. I don't much care what some random old man is pondering as he's about to die, I mean, if I wanted to read that, I would have read an introspective book about life or something like that. The love interest was also incredibly obvious and had basically no character of her own, which is sadly typical of Herbert. The villains were nearly one-dimensional and kind of disappointing, but that wasn't a huge issue with me. Kelso, who's opening botch is the latest a long line of mysterious accidents during his cases, has been sent to a sleepy fishing village to investigate an unassuming family's who's been poisoned with a mass dose of LSD.Jones, Stephen, ed. (1992). James Herbert: By Horror Haunted. London: Hodder & Stoughton. ISBN 978-0-450-53810-0. There was an extra chapter named ‘Cora’s Needs’ (Chapter 19) that was removed from the novel by Herbert himself, which can be found within Herbert's biography ‘Devil In The Dark’ (2003). This extra chapter adds an interesting addition to the novel which expands on the relationship between Liam and Cora, but was removed because Herbert thought it slowed the pace of novel down too much.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment