276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Empire of Booze: British History Through the Bottom of a Glass

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As your rackets start making more money and you get involved in more violent acts, you’ll start to draw the attention of the police.

Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. We celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stories, traditions and living cultures; and we pay our respects to Elders past and present. It will take a little time to ransack a racket, but you’ll usually get some good stuff out of it, including money. The wine book that I am currently reading is totally different and, I have to confess, miles and miles better than I thought it would be. I am a great admirer of Henry Jeffreys and have been eagerly awaiting his booze and empire book for many years!If you go to the Actions tab of this menu, you will have a few different actions that will keep the police off your back for a while.

Once we receive this next year we'll get to work on editing, proof-reading, type-setting, designing the cover and producing the book. I think an actual historian would have done a better job of that than a drinks expert; it felt like there was an awful lot of stuff about trade and culture and immigration and wars that could have been dug into a bit more. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. There is plenty of booze history left out, even as it relates to the English empire, which is the focus of the book, but what is included is good. If you hover over a gangster, it will show a series of lines connecting them to other units, showing potential conflicts of interest or positive connections.His son was later responsible for the most notorious atrocity in Anglo-Indian history, the Amritsar massacre; Jeffreys has missed this. It was designed by Sroop Sunar who has designed covers for Salman Rushdie and Rudyard Kipling so a massive honour to have someone so prestigious. As soon as we have the finished manuscript we'll get to work and are currently aiming to have books ready for Spring 2016. Jeffreys' main point is that, though most spirits/wines are not produced in Britain, over the last centuries they have been produced mainly FOR the UK market, and thus English tastes have been hugely influential in determining what wine, whiskey, port, rum, champagne, gin, sherry, madeira, and beer taste and look like today.

Doing so takes some serious effort and includes understanding all sorts of mechanics, from distilling alcohol and making money to hiring gangsters and hailing taxis. There’s a lot in it about the processes of winemaking, brewing and distilling, and judgments about different tipples. It was a deep golden colour and the texture was like custard, sparkling custard, if you can imagine such a thing. It turned me on to a mature, rich style of champagne which I wish I had the money to drink more often. It was merchants who were responsible for the vast spread of Scotch whisky, as opposed to Irish or Bourbon, over the world.I really liked the sections "Drinking the Empire" in which he gives suggestions for each of the drinks, especially those he thinks would be most like what used to be drunk at the time. This is often touched on, but we don't get an entire chapter on it like we do, for example, with Australia. What I liketo drink at Christmas is burgundy, burgundy andmore burgundy followed by a little port with my stilton.

Apparently continental wine merchants meeting together still dress in “le style Anglais” – tweed jackets and mustard-coloured trousers – deriving from that time. In Empire of Booze Henry Jeffreys traces their contribution t o the alcoholic drinking habits of the world. His claim is that Britain, rather than, say, France or Germany, “the country with the greatest influence on wine and drink in general”.It’s good, too, to be reminded of British colonial rulers’ gin and tonic “sundowners” (to fend off malaria – the tonic, not the gin); about “India pale ale” (IPA); and about the way that viniculture followed the flag to Australia and South Africa. Great concept, tracing the history of various sorts of alcohol and linking it to the history of trade, travel and empire. Think of safe houses as a last resort in case the cops have raided all your breweries and you still need to produce alcohol. Each section has drinking notes at the end to give you some suggestions on what to look for if you want to try some of the mentioned drinks.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment