276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Pragmatist's Guide to Relationships: Ruthlessly Optimized Strategies for Dating, Sex, and Marriage

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Some parts felt like I was being sat down by a stream with my mentor with a very long grey beard as he shared with me the trials of his past. Why don’t you think the same way about your relationships? We know a great career takes hard work, but we expect our relationships to bloom naturally. Don’t worry. It’s an all too human mistake we all make from time to time. You’re not alone. Relationships lures work like fishing lures. If you want to have a specific kind of relationship, you’ve got to use a certain lure. When we make an excuse like “all guys are the same,” often, we’re just trying to attract someone the wrong way. If a fisherman thinks all fish have whiskers, he’ll only use bait designed to catch catfish – and catfish(ed) is all he’ll get. The authors, Malcolm Collins and Simone Collins have provided a well-thought-out book with some vivid imagery to help further and strengthen their advice. I had to smile at some of the comparisons however in their advice. Easy to understand and follow, they break the advice down into relatable comparisons. Humanity consists of coevolving software (our religion and culture), firmware (our hardcoded proclivities, such as language acquisition), and hardware (our brains). Ripping out a third of the equation has led to innumerous unintended—and typically negative—consequences. This book offers a guide to rebuilding or fortifying this increasingly neglected aspect of the human condition.

If not, why not for what may literally be a life-long investment? (or dynasties long if you play your cards right through the support of resources like this book) According to the Collins’, a relationship lure is the value you offer a potential partner. It sets the stage for the short and long-term quality of the partnership, so it’s vital that you get it right. It's quite amusing to read overviews of common relationship models discussed more from the perspective of a historian or anthropologist than a contemporary arguing in favor of their own ideological team. So there, if you are interested in romantic relationships, if you think you are missing those in your life, read this book. It will give you a lot of knowledge. The trade-off though is that you will have to give up your fantasies, and do not take that lightly, that is very hard to do. If you can do that, though, this book will give you tools, as blunt as they may be (pun intended) that can be invaluable on your way forward in this world. And god only knows, in this world, we need all the tools we can get. If you worry your culture or religion will go extinct and would like to see it endure across generations, this book is for you.

Regardless of how much this logical ("rationalist") approach appeals to you, the book covers so many areas (17 main chapters + 17 appendix chapters) it must be almost certain to give you some things to think about. In this scenario you only care about finding a model with good predictive power (in particular, good at predicting houses’ selling price). So what assumptions do we need here, if we use a linear regression model? Because we only care about predictive power, it turns out that the list of assumptions reduces to one: Only read this if you're ready to ask yourself the hardest hitting questions. You won't have a choice not to after this.

These lures are not the end of a good relationship but the beginning. Use them wisely, and, once you’ve found someone, the real work begins! Lesson 2: The beauty of a good marriage lies in sharing your mental load. Simply outstanding. It's really rare to find a book which is so clear, thorough, honest and original. It's especially impressive given its token price and that it doesn't have a big hype machine behind it. Totally an undiscovered gem. We all want our friends to support us, but when it comes to supportive lovers, society isn’t as encouraging. As the Collins’ say: The narrator, Kelly Cletheroe gives a smooth performance. Her voice flows and is pleasingly lightful at times. She speaks clearly and with a steady cadence. PDF / EPUB File Name: The_Pragmatists_Guide_to_Relationships__R_-_Malcolm_Collins.pdf, The_Pragmatists_Guide_to_Relationships__R_-_Malcolm_Collins.epubWhen you work together, you’ll be able to do more than double what one of you could do alone. This is like two horses being able to pull more than double the weight of just one horse. Assumption #1 is nothing but a rephrase of one of the standard ML best practices, the famous “make sure that your training set comes from the same distribution as the test set”. As such, this assumption is not unique of linear regression. In other words, there is no real need to memorize assumption # 1, as it’s probably already part of your general toolkit. Use case 2: prediction with interpretability

In our 3 of countless useful and eye-opening lessons from this book, we’ll focus on finding a partner for life: This book covers a wide variety of topics and even has an appendix. It has cognitive separation (probably my favorite section), breaking up traps, and everything in between. I'm incredibly impressed by how thorough they were. So much so they split it into two different books (as they mention early on, this is the first part, and The Pragmatist's Guide to Sexuality is the second).

My Book Notes

The Collins’ have started The Pragmatist Foundation to uplift people through this philosophy, and all of their books’ proceeds go to this charity. The Pragmatist’s Guide To Relationships is an extremely comprehensive manual to all components of relationships. It will help you find the people you want and need in your life, attract them, and keep them around. The authors’ approach is empathetic and investigative but at the same time it doesn't shy away from the hard truths. I was intrigued by the way Collins’ manoeuvre the complexities of human emotions, whilst also providing strategies that are workable. Assumption # 1 — Random sampling: the data are representative of the population (aka no selection bias) There are 12 relationship lures you can use to find and keep a partner, which will directly affect the partners and relationships you’ll get. Ruthlessly optimized? Very well delivered on, and I'm only 60% of the way through. I went through this for hours with my partner and it has kept us up for 2 days now. I write this review at 3.19am.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment