276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bumface

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We were obsessed and sometimes it was awful, absolutely ghastly, and I’d try to get rid of him or he’d try to get rid of me, but we just couldn’t.” It wasn’t easy. While Ms Lowry was busy telling off a kid up the front for putting a face on a testicle, Russell Hinch started getting laughs from his mates by showing them what he’d drawn in his exercise book. Angus caught a glimpse and felt his face go bright red. An interesting thing I learned from the book was that people can be so cruel and don't care what others think or how they feel it's just sad. I was moved by when the author put Zelda and Felix together in the story because it was just so heart taking and it's really got my attention. Well read by the author. This book is a bit dated - Tamagotchi plays a bit role - but still funny and relate-able. Angus is "Mr. Dependable" to his mom, dad, and (mom's former partners) number two and number three. But he worries that if his soap-star mom keeps having kids, he'll never get to have his own life. At 12, he is already raising his little brother and baby sister basically on his own. Only his alternate ego, the titular pirate Bumface, gets to act like a kid. Verdict: A definite read, but I would read Once first before you move onto this. If you didn't like Once, keep going - it's worth it.

This is one of those books where it is difficult to write about the narrative without spoiling the whole thing for future readers, because everything and everyone is so interconnected with the action. I intentionally hadn’t read much about Then or the third book about Felix, Now, so when I read the ending of this I was very surprised. It really wasn’t what I expected.Felix was, once again, a delightful protagonist and I really felt for him, especially latterly. He seems to start having a good time and then, everything is crumbled down. He's a good guy and just wants to protect everyone but himself. I know, the events are not true for just one person in this time, but it makes you really think, through Felix, the horrible, vile times Jewish people had under Nazi rule. Morris Gleitzman makes you think over and over again in your mind, the simple question: Why? WHY? Just, why. Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer. This has possibly the best opening line I've ever come across in a children's book (and possibly an adult's) - one I had to read a couple of times to make sure I'd interpreted it correctly. Warning to teachers - if you're reading this out loud there ARE a few (mildly) rude words! Listen, Dumbo,’ said Angus. ‘There’s no girl, right? I’m not going to meet a girl. I’m not going to kiss a girl. Watch my lips. NO... GIRL...’

I said in my review for Once that Zelda annoyed me. A lot, especially with her constant 'Don't you know anything?' ERM, NO WE DON'T. Anyway, that lovely line was in this book too, BUT not as much and I actually started really connecting with Zelda too, especially when she became a different person - Violetta (I really like that name actually). Zelda is also only six years-old when Felix is ten. It's strange how she seems so grown up and honestly, I thought she was the same age as Felix until said. It's disgraceful how much she had been through just at that age, and many other real people too. Bumface ( ISBN 9780140387971) is a children's novel written by Australian author Morris Gleitzman [1] for readers age 10-12. First published in 1998 it has won several awards and is regularly named in polls as a favourite children's book in Australia. [2] Plot summary [ edit ] Often a sequel fails in satisfying a reader, because the first book was so good. It feels like nothing can measure up to it, but that is not the case here. I was happy to see that Gleitzman was able to recapture Felix as I remember him, allowing growth because of his experiences but still very much the sweet, innocent storytelling 10 year old boy he was in Once. Gleitzman has done this with Zelda, too, who remains the same annoyingly-endearing, smart mouth 6 year old girl of Once, constantly asking ‘Don’t you know anything?’ whenever someone states the obvious.The parents in Water Wings (1997) and Bumface (1998), however, are more harshly criticised - these are parents who shirk their responsibilities and put their own needs first, and this is shown to be entirely different from well-meaning parents who experience stress and make mistakes. In Water Wings, Pearl is often left alone while her mother, whose red sports car bears the number plate ‘CAR 4 ME’, pursues her career and social life. The mother sees every situation entirely from her own perspective, and regards Pearl’s feelings and needs, not with empathy or concern, but as an irritation which threatens to get in the way of her own happiness. Pearl’s father, meanwhile, is entirely absent, and the little girl’s longing for a grandmother, though presented humorously, emphasises her parents’ complete failure to take care of her needs. My favourite/most interesting quote from the book is "A little hope goes a long way". This quote stands out to me because it teaches me that if you believe in something and hope and persevere that it counts for a lot and will lead you to achieving your goals. He also wrote live stage material for people such as Rolf Harris, Pamela Stephenson and the Governor General of Australia. Morris is well known to many people through his semi-autobiographical columns in The Age and Sydney Morning Herald magazine, Good Weekend, which he wrote for nine years. Director Shawn Levy Claims Taylor Swift "Has The Makings Of A Hell Of A Director": "A Generational Voice And Creative Force" So overall this book for me didn't sugar coat nothing and yet ONCE & THEN now have so many important meanings that everyone should read these. I finished this in the car ride home from a family reunion with mom and my grandparents (it was an hour or so away) and now I'm wishing i brought book 3 with me. And speaking of "now" which happens to be the title for the next book, NOW I'll be ready to jump in it when I get a chance to!

I think this was a amazing book as i loved how it starts 'Angus Solomon is that a penis in your execise book'. I really think you have inspired me to read alot more book especially yours! Excuse me, Miss,’ he said, ‘I wasn’t wasting time. I was working on my pirate character for the school play. He lives in a submarine and –’

Morris Gleitzman Press Reviews

When the facts of life are too close to home". Birmingham Post. 22 May 1999 . Retrieved 2009-01-17. Stream It Or Skip It: 'Mayflies' On Acorn TV, Where A Man With Cancer Asks An Old Friend To Help Him Die On His Own Terms Former Olympic Gymnast And ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Contestant Mary Lou Retton Says She’s “Staying Very Positive” After Recent Hospitalization The 86-year-old actress has an impressive list of accomplishments, but sadly in her personal life she has suffered a lot. Instead he's his mum's Mr Dependable, always looking after the younger ones and cleaning up. He's desperate to stop his mum adding another baby to the family so comes up with a plan to prevent her getting pregnant.

Perhaps the best place to look when it comes to non-fiction, eBookLobby offers adults books on health and wellness, art, and cooking, among others. Once and its sequel, Then are harrowing and beautifully told stories of ten year old Felix; a Jewish boy caught in the midst of the Holocaust. Similar to The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas and equally as good, Once and Then are told through the eyes of Felix, illustrating with child like purity the senselessness of war. Stream It Or Skip It: ‘When Evil Lurks’ on Shudder, an Innovative Demonic-Possession Horror That Just Might Be The Scariest Movie of 2023

Angus looked around. Nobody looked guilty, not even Renee Stokes and Julie Cheng, who’d been going on for weeks about how they wished they had one. It is in the best interests of all people that we stand against the hatred and fear of any group of people based upon their ethnic, religious, or racial identity. As educators of young people, we do this in a positive manner through the promotion of multiculturalism. Children grow up more accepting and less likely to wage war upon one another when they come to recognize that children who look, speak, and live in cultures different than their own are still like them and not people to be hated and feared. LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment