276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mary Jane: A Novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What a delightful story. Its been a while since I read a book that made me smile and that upon finishing I felt content, satisfied. A coming of age story with a young fourteen year Mary Jane, whose life to date is organized regimented, an only child who is ignored by her father. This will, in one summer, change when she is allowed to be the helper, nanny to a four year old, whose father is a psychiatrist. The difference between her home, and her work place, couldn't be more different. The freedom she experiences the responsibilities she undertakes, raises her self confidence, but also show her the person she has inside herself. A wonderful, musical return to the seventies, as well.

Her education, and awakening promises a break in the chain from her super conservative… and racist parents, and a future where Mary Jane steps outside the sheltered confines of her current life, and into the world, with a better understanding of how to blend the best of both environments she lived through during the summer of 1975. Actress Kirsten Dunst was cast as Mary Jane Watson for the 2002 Spider-Man film, with Mary Jane having been cemented in comics lore as Peter Parker's primary love interest by then. Before director Sam Raimi cast Dunst, he had expressed his interest in casting Alicia Witt. [3] Dunst decided to audition after learning Tobey Maguire had been cast as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, feeling the film would have a more independent feel. [4] Dunst earned the role a month before shooting in an audition in Berlin. [5] In the first two films in the trilogy, Dunst wore a red wig for the part, dying part of her hair in the first film, before dying her full head of blond hair red for the third film. [6] Dunst was also allegedly asked to change her teeth for the films, a demand that she refused. She also declined to do certain stunts in the films. [7]Mary Jane’s summer will broaden her horizons, and teach her many things beyond her still somewhat tenderly-sheltered years. Some of things she learns are ones she will never forget, and most likely she will wish she could forget some of them, but she will also find her own voice. However, elements of her character were met with a mixed response. In his review of Spider-Man 3, Ryan Gilbey of the NewStatesman was critical of Dunst's character: "the film-makers couldn't come up with much for Mary Jane to do other than scream a lot". [23] Allie Gemmill of Bustle wrote in 2017 that the films portray Mary Jane as a constant damsel in distress and gave the illusion that she was defined primarily through the men in her life. [24] Conversely, Adadora Asidianya wrote that Mary Jane provides a voice of reason for Peter, whether as a friend or a love interest. [17] Ignore the comparisons to Daisy Jones or Almost Famous. Neither are appropriate. But this book shines all on its own. Nashawaty, Chris (January 12, 2010). " 'Spider-Man' reboot: Who should play Peter Parker?". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on January 25, 2010 . Retrieved February 6, 2010. The only thing Mary Jane has going for it is Mary Jane herself. She’s a likable narrator who tells the story in an easygoing, conversational voice that kept my attention to the very end. For this reason, as a reading experience, Mary Jane is good--Blau’s personable writing style is exactly the kind I gravitate toward--but as a story experience, it’s exasperating. The bones of a stand-out story are here but only the bones. Mary Jane is both too undeveloped and too problematic to be called complete, and it’s way too annoying to be the joyful story Blau was intending.

In 1970s Baltimore, fourteen-year-old Mary Jane loves cooking with her mother, singing in her church choir, and enjoying her family’s subscription to the Broadway Show Tunes of the Month record club. Shy, quiet, and bookish, she’s glad when she lands a summer job as a nanny for the daughter of a local doctor. A respectable job, Mary Jane’s mother says. In a respectable house. a b George, Richard (April 19, 2007). "Spider-Man in Film Volume One". IGN. Archived from the original on March 28, 2012 . Retrieved June 7, 2007. I was immersed in the story right away and could not stop listening. The time period was very well researched with the mentions of the fashions, foods, tv shows and especially the music. In 1970s Baltimore, fourteen-year-old Mary Jane loves cooking with her mother, singing in her church choir, and enjoying her family’s subscription to the Broadway Showtunes of the Month record club. Shy, quiet, and bookish, she’s glad when she lands a summer job as a nanny for the daughter of a local doctor. A respectable job, Mary Jane’s mother says. In a respectable house. She gets a summer job with a nearby family, caring for Izzy. She encounters a family very different from her own. The mom, Bonnie, rarely cooks or cleans the house. The dad is a psychiatrist and has one exclusive client for the summer. Izzy is a sweet 5-year-old girl who loves to help Mary Jane with cooking, cleaning the house, ironing, and grocery shopping. The atmosphere at their house is one of love and affection, quite different than Mary Jane’s respectable stand-offish parents!This was a refreshingly fun and ultimately hopeful book, perfect to read right now. It isn’t easy to write in the voice of a child but this author gets it all right, Mary Jane is 14 and Izzy is 5. Wonderful...A tale of clashing cultures and a slow awakening of ideas, hope and beliefs, this is one of those novels you’ll be so glad to lose yourself to. It’s also perfect for fans of Curtis Sittenfeld's books – and we can give it no higher praise…" — Stylist (UK) a b Asidianya, Adadora (July 1, 2020). "Spider-Man: 10 Things We Should've Seen From Mary Jane In Into The Spider-Verse". CBR. Archived from the original on August 26, 2020 . Retrieved August 25, 2020. A story set in Baltimore in the 70’s, the summer that Mary Jane Dillard had just turned fourteen. A pivotal summer that would change the way she viewed the world, and the people in it, and begin to question the adults in her life. Another novel compared to Daisy Jones and the Six, as well as Almost Famous, the movie. The Cones however are nothing like the Dillards nor do they fit into any box. Love is strewn about freely, something Mary Jane has never seen as she has never been told nor said I love you to anyone. When Dr. Cone, who is a Psychiatrist, takes on a special client and his wife for the summer, Mary Jane’s life becomes even more interesting. Together, this makeshift family bonds together, with Mary Jane becoming the central character.

I couldn’t have been prouder of Mary Jane- she handles herself beautifully. If only the adults in her life had a small portion of her intelligence and grace, and could open their hearts half as wide…I do have one slightly preachy concern- due to the attitudes of Mary Jane’s parents, it is easier to judge them more harshly than the Cone’s.

It’s 1970s Baltimore. Mary Jane is a good girl—she loves Broadway show tunes, sings in the church choir, and grows up in a conservative, traditional household. (There’s even a picture of President Ford hanging in the house.) Her father works; her mother takes care of the house and makes sure dinner is always on time.Instead of running out the door, Mary Jane comes to love this “family” as they do her. What ensues that summer is funny, sad at times and heartwarming as Mary Jane learns what it’s like to say “I love you”, something her parents never say, learns some things about herself. I found this to be an enjoyable and entertaining story. A lighter read was just what I needed. Loved the ending. It's a summer to remember and to grow for sweet Mary Jane. She becomes very close to the Cones and their guests and discovers a new found freedom.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment