276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Isaac and the Egg: the unique, funny and heartbreaking Saturday Times bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

activism adventure agriculture animals architecture art artificial intelligence books business climate conservation entertainment environment fashion feminism film & TV food & drink history human rights identity LGBTQI+ lifestyle mental health music oceans philosophy photography plants podcasts poetry politics quiz rewilding science science fiction sex society space storytelling sustainability technology the brain tourism water wildlife women wtf?! youth Maybe he will finally understand why he went there that morning. Maybe he will find a way, to tell the truth. That kind of stuff only happens in certain kinds of books and movies, and while they are wonderful and necessary offering escapist loveliness that gives a finger in the nice candy-coated of ways to life’s blisteringly hard realities, Isaac and the Egg is not that kind of story.

I don’t think anyone other than Johnny Flynn could have read this book. His dulcet tones made the book even more magical and I’ll certainly listen to it again in the future. Perhaps that’s what scares us, but also intrigues us, about eggs. It’s definitely why I chose an egg as the perfect companion to Isaac, a man who might just be something of an egg himself. But if that doesn’t happen, and let’s face it, it almost never does; that kind of approach to grief is all about people finding a way they can live with someone else’s grief which is never palatable to be around because it reminds us, and we hate this, that death happens.

Strongly recommended to those looking for an unusual story that combines literary fiction, magical realism, and contemporary drama. It’s simultaneously weird and wonderful! If you are an audiobook aficionado, please opt for the audio version. The two are unlikely companions. But their chance encounter will transform Isaac's life in ways he cannot yet imagine.

This is an audiobook about a lot of things - grief, hope, friendship, love. It's also about what you'd do if you stumbled into the woods at dawn, found something extraordinary there, and decided to take it home. If that sounds like a lot, it is, and for all its magicality and whimsy and sheer endearing funniness at times, Isaac and the Egg doesn’t attempt, not once, to sugarcoat how utterly hard that whole journey is, and how even if something happens to you to begin reshaping things, which it most certainly does to Isaac Addy, that it’s not some overnight fix. If you are an inveterate reader, the odds are good, better than good actually, that fellow readers or close friends (sometimes, happily, they are both) that at some point they will recommend a book to you. A book, they will assure you with a mix of solemnity and enthusiasm, is Continue Reading I received an advance reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review as part of the book tour hosted by Random Things Tours. Isaac and the Egg has taken me completely surprise.. Started out not knowing what I was reading and if I was going to fully engage with the story but ohh my..One of the reasons I like reading debuts is the marvel of the discovery of a new author who makes magic with words. The characterisation is superb, Isaac is grieving, his pain is raw and acute and he doesn’t know which way is up. He’s lonely, suffering, full of anger and his misery is palpable. As for the egg, you’ll have to encounter the wonder and sheer pleasure of that for yourself!

Isaac Addy might be an alien. He certainly feels like one. Apart from Joy’s flying visit and his sessions with Dr Abbass, he’s barely interacted with anyone of his own kind in months. He looks like one, too. What did Isaac Addy look like last year, before he zapped all his human friends away? Not like this. This, whatever this is, is as alien as can be. His stalagmite hair and stalactite beard make him seem like he’s from a world where the inhabitants are made of stone. His eyes used to sparkle, but now they shine only as much as two polished pebbles one would find on a beach. Isaac has hardened, calcified.” (P. 165) When Isaac Addy walks into the woods on the worst day of his life and finds something extraordinary there, he already knows he's going to take it home.Isaac and the Egg is one of, if not the most stunning book I've read so far this year. Bobby Palmer is an incredible writer, he has a very true talent that radiates throughout this book. Despite the terrible sadness of Isaac’s situation, the author somehow also manages to make the book laugh-out-loud funny in places. As the story progresses we learn more about the circumstances that have brought Isaac to this point and the pieces of the puzzle gradually fall into place.

A tender, funny and surprising meditation on grief and hope . . . like nothing I’ve ever read before’ STYLIST I wished I loved this book and I don’t even have a good reason why I didn’t. I love the story line and how it unravels, I love the humour, I love our little egg, yet… I still didn’t love this book.

Isaac’s wife has died and he is standing on a bridge above freezing water thinking he cannot go on. Then he hears a scream and discovers Egg. Who or what is Egg and why is he here? But things start to change when he finds the egg — or Egg, as he christens him. Egg seems to need protecting, and in the tradition of a great 80s film, Isaac feels compelled to help him find his way home. Measured, comic and moving… A sad, funny and original novel about grief, loss and embracing change’ DAILY MAIL

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment