276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fall of Ruin and Wrath: 1 (Awakening)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you’ve read FBAA’s spin-off/prequel series you might get major Nyktos/Sera vibes like I did between Lis and the Prince. They’re both older, more mature, and have seen and experienced things, unlike say Poppy from the Blood and Ash books. Lis can be a bit too trusting or maybe naive would be a better word. She relays so much on her intuition/ability to read people that when she can’t, she just seems to take their word at face value or close to it. The events at the end of the book had me wishing I could reach into the book and shake the shit out of her a few times because it was so obvious what was about to happen or that what she was being told was more than likely a lie yet she didn’t question it at all. King Euros rules over the kingdom of Caelum, and some princes and princesses rule over the 6 territories within Caelum. When her intuition leads her to save a traveling prince in dire trouble, the voice inside her blazes with warning―and promise. Today he’ll bring her joy. One day he'll be her doom.

Lis also gives the impression that she is a fighter at first, but she ended up being quite helpless, and even though she complained a lot about it, in the end, she just did what everyone around her told her to do, which is even more frustrating considering that she is quite clever. Add to that the repetitive bland banter between Thorne and her, and her unending inner monologues, and it made for a character that could have been very interesting but ended up being just ordinary. When her intuition leads her to save a traveling prince in dire trouble, the voice inside her blazes with warning―and promise. Today he’ll bring her joy. One day he’ll be her doom. I’ll admit I didn’t go into this with high hopes, but still. I actually did enjoy the first two books of the Blood and Ash series until it was obviously turned into an outrageously stupid cash grab (among many other various faults that could no longer be ignored). I don’t even have the energy to go into the specifics of this book, because that would involve going through the book again, and good lord, I have already punished myself enough.

Subscribe to the Newsletter

The world building and layout are a little confusing initially, even with the map, but I imagine we will get used to the terms, as we did in FBAA. Still, here is a recap of the different groups mentioned: Lis is special, obviously, but she is no maiden! She is some rich lord paramour, and sometimes even works as a courtesan. She is abused ALL THE TIME, but apparently, she only complains when is the MMC, and she actually wants it. As the story goes on, she slowly converts into Poppy, finds herself a dagger and stars throwing things to MMC. More powers appear and I expect she will be a Queen at the end of the series. SHE LIVES BY HER INTUITION. HE FEEDS ON HER PLEASURE.Long ago, the world was destroyed by gods. Only nine cities were spared. Separated by vast wilderness teeming with monsters and unimaginable dangers, each city is now ruled by a guardian-royalty who feed on mortal pleasure.Born with an intuition that never fails, Calista knows her talents are of great value to the power-hungry of the world, so she lives hidden as a courtesan of the Baron of Archwood. In exchange for his protection, she grants him information.When her intuition leads her to save a traveling prince in dire trouble, the voice inside her blazes with warning-and promise. Today he’ll bring her joy. One day he’ll be her doom.When the Baron takes an interest in the traveling prince and the prince takes an interest in Calista, she becomes the prince’s temporary companion. But the city simmers with rebellion, and with knights and monsters at her city gates and a hungry prince in her bed, intuition may not be enough to keep her safe.Calista must follow her intuition to safety or follow her heart to her downfall. Fall of Ruin and Wrath (Awakening, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout – eBook Details

Jennifer is my ride or die author, she always truly goes above and beyond and puts something extra unique and addictive into her books and forever leaves me craving for more. Even though this was something completely brand new, having that familiarity of her words treacle in is always like the warmest hug from a friend you haven’t seen for the longest time. Has Claude been having trouble sleeping again?” Naomi asked after a handful of moments, her voice lighter than it had been when she walked into the chamber. I really liked this book. It had an interesting start but after that I found it a bit hard to figure out what was going on. As in I felt like I could use some more information on the world and the characters. What is the setting etc but that got easier soon. There was allot of information as well in the beginning, as you often see in fantasy's. So after I got enough information, it was easier to follow along. Born with an intuition that never fails, Calista knows her talents are of great value to the power-hungry of the world, so she lives hidden as a courtesan of the Baron of Archwood. In exchange for his protection, she grants him information. And it was also how people in the manor and beyond had learned of me—the woman who knew things. Not many, but enough.

Customer reviews

Long ago, the world was destroyed by gods. Only nine cities were spared. Separated by vast wilderness teeming with monsters and unimaginable dangers, each city is now ruled by a guardian―royalty who feed on mortal pleasure. I honestly loved the dynamic between all the characters. Found family and friendships as a trope is a personal favourite and here, I find myself amongst yet another one that I couldn’t get enough of. Especially Bastian and from what minor interactions we got of him with Thorne and Lis was honestly *chefs kiss* and something tells me he will be taking over my thoughts just as much. Of course, couldn’t leave out our precious Grady. His friendship with Lis made my heart too happy. There was silence in my mind, and then I heard what sounded like my own voice whisper, She will recover.

You know, they’re not all that bad,” Naomi said after a moment. “The Hyhborn, I mean. I’ve known of a few lords and ladies who have stepped in and aided those in need, and those in Primvera are kind and even caring. I think more are like that than not.” The relationship between the FMC and MMC seemed awkward and cringey in the first half of the book. Also, we didn’t see a relationship develop between them but they constantly bumped into each other. I did think an editor would improve her work, thus my excitement to see her new book being published by TOR. To make it TikTok worth it, you add smut every chance you get. If everything goes right, nobody will notice they are reading recycled material without any story behind.

Keep in Touch!

Long ago, the world was destroyed by gods. Only nine cities were spared. Separated by vast wilderness teeming with monsters and unimaginable dangers, each city is now ruled by a guardian – royalty who feed on mortal pleasure. From Jennifer L. Armentrout, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of From Blood and Ash, comes a searing fantasy romance for adults, Fall of Ruin and Wrath . Unrest is brewing and Calista's visions are starting to come true, and those visions aren't really something anyone would want to come true.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment