276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Celestron 21041 PowerSeeker 60AZ Telescope

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have an FS60Q as a companion to the FOA60Q. I love them both at the same aperture, for different reasons, so I keep them both.

Eyepiece advice requested for 60mm F10 scope - Cloudy Nights

The TV60 is a little work of art. Compact, light, well built and the optics, oh the optics. Tiny 60mm perfection. First light for me was Jupiter. At 70x using a 5.2mm Pentax XL color correction and sharpness were breathtaking. I have not been so excited about a medium power view of Jupiter well, since I had my Sears scope. I also observed open clusters and Omega Centauri with it. Yes, binoculars will sometimes be part of my travel kit. But, the ability to change magnification allows more flexibility and the mandatory lunar/planetary fix. I did the same observation of Marswith the 80, using 100x (4mm setting on 3-6 Nagler) and red #23 to see a somewhat lower contrast outline of the dark regions as well as the brightening to the south, probably Hellas although I had some impression of what should have been the pole. This 80 seems to beconsiderably sharper than my original ST80. The 60 provided a little more detail overall.Something to give the best contrast lunar and planetary views at the high end of magnification my little scope can comfortably handle. My usual seeing conditions aren't great. Thinking 100x is maybe a good range to aim for, so maybe 6mm but maybe too small exit pupil? Setting up the telescope is a breeze, so you can enjoy the wonders of the universe in no time. Even on your first time out, you can assemble the telescope and its accessories in just a few minutes. The adjustable tripod legs allow you to customize the telescope’s height or place it on raised surfaces like a picnic table. The total telescope kit weighs in at just 3.8 pounds—perfect for impromptu observing sessions or transporting wherever life’s adventures take you. The 18.2mm DeLite is a great place to start. So would the 24mm Panoptic or a used 22mm Panoptic (one of my favorites, which I still own 30 years later). But for a short focal length, consider (saving for) the not-inexpensive Takahashi UW 5.7mm. It's designed for flat field scopes, which the FS60Q is. It's right by the 6mm lazy-person's target. It has a roomy 90° AFOV and it's optically incisive for 105X. In the event you find a night of exceptional seeing where you can grind out more useful magnification, with the 5.7mm UW eyepiece you can get 210X with a 2X Barlow, or ~89X per inch, which is entirely within the competence of the FS60Q when seeing permits. I star tested on Rigel, then rotated the crown approximately 60 degrees twice, star testing each time. There was little change either time, the angle of the prism effect and elongation of the spurious disk were the same at 0.6mm exit pupil (100x). This demonstrated that it is not a rotational issue with the crown relative to the flint. The test indicates the crown's figure and center must be uniform.

Celestron PowerSeeker 70mm f/10 EQ Refractor Telescope Celestron PowerSeeker 70mm f/10 EQ Refractor Telescope

I admit that I am intrigued by what one of these might be able to do, and they can be had for next to nothing. Oh sure, I could just stop down mymodded80 f/11.3 w/2" focuserfor the same sort of experience without adding any new gear, but I am more curious about whether or not one of thesemodern cheap long60'scan be converted into something useful. Doing side-by-side with the AT60 could be a trip. The PowerSeeker 60 is a refractor telescope perfect for terrestrial and celestial viewing on the go. The PowerSeeker can view the planets, moon, star clusters and brighter deep sky objects like the Orion Nebula and Andromeda Galaxy at night. The erect image star diagonal makes the optical tube ideal for using as a spotting scope during the day. The PowerSeeker mount comes with two slow motion control knobs that allow you to make fine pointing adjustments to the telescope in both Right Ascension and Declination axes, also referred to as RA and DEC. The Travel Scope 60 is a refractor telescope perfect for terrestrial and celestial viewing on the go. By night, you can use your Travel Scope to view the planets, Moon, star clusters, and brighter deep sky objects like the Orion Nebula and Andromeda Galaxy. During the day, attach the included erect image diagonal and the optical tube is ideal for using as a spotting scope to view landscapes, wildlife, and more.

Sky-Watcher Mercury-707 with Alt-Az Mount.

Accessories include a 20mm and 4mm eyepiece, a finderscope, and a 3x Barlow lens. The two eyepieces offer different magnifications for low and high powered views. The 3x Barlow lens triples the magnifying power of each eyepiece. Seeing was pretty poor, and the mount is hindering simple testing, but using the mount in alt az configuration makes it workable. Rigel's companion is visible even when the CA is aligned with its PA. The same was true when splitting Castor at 100x atzenith. The spurious disks on the latter were probably elongated about 50% (a 3:2 oval for each) with a dark lane in between and the color of the primary spilling red on the secondary andviolet to the other side of the primary.

Celestron Refractor Telescopes | Celestron

Yes, I figure the 7T1 for 129x with the 60 f/15should be about the limit for my eye before diffraction begins to take over--assuming the optics are diffraction limited and the color is nearly negligible. I don't have an 8 withoutBarlowing a 16so the next step lowerfor me is a 9. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between 100 and 129x with the scope was only image scale providing some confirmation rather than new detail. I see thatwith the 60ED going from 120x (3mm) to 144x (2.5mm). Not compatible with #93648 Off-Axis Guider, not compatible with #93519 2" Mirror Diagonal (discontinued) I then rotated the two lenses 120 degrees togetherin their cell (while leaving the cell at same orientation as before.) The goal was to turn the"prism" to counter that of atmospheric dispersion in alt az orientation--rather than having it act partially additive as it had been doing. This indeed rotated the orientation, so the problem is inherent to the objective and specifically the rotation of the flint. I have experimented with several similar entry level models. Almost without exception the objectives have been surprisingly good at any sensible high magnifications.Quite often the objectives are pinched due to the retaining ring being too tight. Forget the rest of the instrument though!. I have used them for solar observation and also built a binoscope with a pair incorporating a couple of monoculars for the eyepiece end. I have some doubts about the coatings of the objectives. There seems to be a fairly strong set of reflections when shining a headlamp down the tube. I don't recall other scopes giving such an impression, but I will need to explore this some.

FEATURES

I turned the 60 f/15on Mars and viewed at 100x with red #23 in. I was able to faintly see the general shape ofSyrtis Major and the associated Mare, along with the Sinus regions on the other side. Also felt I was seeing a small but brilliant polar cap along with general larger brightening that is a match for Hellas. The tests above demonstrate that the problem is not caused by focuser misalignment to the OTA or a problem with the objective cell. Instead it is inherent to the objective lens set, and more specifically, the flint since the chromatic aberration rotates with it. I suspect this is caused by a small amount of decentering or a subtle difference in spacing (relative tilt)between the two lenses. If it is decentering I should be able totap a hole for a grub screwto push the flint slightly away from the bottom third of the cell. Finally had a few minutes last night to try out both the DeLite and the Brandon on Jupiter and Saturn in the FS60Q with 1.25" Tak diagonal. Seeing was about 1.5 per Good to Stargaze.

Celestron PowerSeeker 60 60mm f/12 AZ Refractor Telescope

It is somewhat unfortunate that the tabsface the focuser. If they faced the other direction I would probably attempt pushing the baffle toward the focuser. It could actually be moved toa more useful position that way, and paired with a much wider opening baffle on the other end nearer the objective. The other bit of bad news looking at the kit is that the 20mm eyepiece is a cheaper design than that with the Celestron 70 Travel scope. This one has a much smaller eye lens and only about a 13.6mm field stop vs. about 19mm in the Travel scope's kit. The 60mm f/12 objective was in mint condition (after a cleaning). Optically, the scope performs beautifully. It makes use of its full 60mm aperture. It's essentially free from chromatic aberrations. The star-test patterns (using a 1st magnitude star) were absolutely "beautiful". I've used Buttercup for solar, lunar, planetary and deep-sky visual astronomy -- and enjoyed every minute of my eyepiece time! The tiny 60mm opened up a whole new universe for me. I later passed it on to my sister and her daughter where it was partly responsible for kindling the kid’s interest in science. The scope came with one 25mm MA 0.965" eyepiece. I modified a 1.25" 10mm eyepiece, and later a 1.25" 6mm Orthoscopic by adding home-made 0.965" barrels. Buttercup handles the increased magnifications beautifully.Moon Filter – Enjoy the details of the Moon without the brightness. It only takes a second or two to transform your regular eyepiece into one suited for lunar observations—simply thread this filter onto the bottom of your eyepieces. The Moon Filter is also helpful when observing Venus or bright terrestrial scenes to reduce glare. Specification and optics are the same as the Startravel-80 (ST80) but supplied without equatorial mount/tripod and includes a 45º Erect Image Diagonal.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment