276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Comfort Book: The instant No.1 Sunday Times Bestseller

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You don’t need to know the future to be hopeful. You just need to embrace the concept of possibility. To accept that the unknowability of the future is the key, and that there are versions of that future that are brighter and fairer than the present. The future is open. Haig draws heavily from his own experiences with being suicidal and depressed; sometimes perhaps too much so. Not every nugget of wisdom hits the mark, but then, this is "his" Comfort Book. I found it occasionally delved too deep into the philosophy; but the entries were so short, it wasn’t long before another one better suited me and hit home hard. They can be your online or real-life friends, but the point is to have them by your side if the situation asks for it. Oftentimes, standing in a group or feeling people’s company can improve our mood and feeling of belongingness. This can alleviate the emotions we get from certain difficult times. The Comfort Book is a collection of consolations learned in hard times and suggestions for making the bad days better. Drawing on maxims, memoir and the inspirational lives of others, these meditations offer new ways of seeing ourselves and the world.

The Comfort Book… is brilliant, full of nuggets of profundity to consume when you’re feeling low. And he has a way of discussing mental health that rises above the general confessional noise.” — The Independent (Dublin) I’ve read, and loved, several of Matt Haig’s books, but I hesitated on reading this one. I needn’t have hesitated, but I’m glad that I did since I’d opted to add it to my library list of requests, and it arrived at the perfect time for me.Depression can hit anyone, weak or strong. Contrary to popular belief, this negative state of mind doesn’t always display obvious clues for the exterior. These clues are what we know as overwhelming sadness or sudden bursts of tears. Sometimes depression may come dressed up as a loss of interest in the things you love, insomnia, or numbness. the book’s unpretentiousness will enable its positive message to reach a wide and grateful readership.” — The Guardian No is a good word. It keeps you sane. In an age of overload, no is really yes. It is yes to having the space you need to live." Some of my favourites were about social media and the way it can make you feel. I loved the thoughts on one of my favourite movies Ferris Buellers Day Off. And the lists of songs and books to help your mind. And the list of things it is ok to say no to... I could go on all day.

Full of eloquent, cogent and positive reminders of the beauty of life … Will prove enormously sustaining and valuable to a lot of people … Genuinely uplifting … Haig is a sensitive, introspective and thoughtful guide to the human dilemmas that affect us all”This book consists of brief thoughts, encouragements, and self-reflections from the author. He shares ideas or reminders he's written down, things he's learned from others or lessons and observations from bad times. It's "stuff" that has given him comfort and he refers to as his "life rafts". It's a warm, cozy evening by the fire, sipping your coffee, walking through the autumn leaves after the rain, learning to breathe in and out slowly type of book. Yeah, it's comforting. Haig is one of the most inspirational popular writers on mental health of our age.”― Independent (London) Perhaps the best thing about The Comfort Book is that it inspired me to create my own personal version of it. I think everyone should have a scrapbook or compilation of things that give them comfort. We could all use something like that when life gets tough, or when we simply need to pause and show gratitude. The Comfort Book, a collection of aphorisms and inspirational stories of survival against the odds, is a guide to living and finding hope in these disjointed times’— Guardian

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment