276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Book of Eve: A beguiling historical feminist tale – inspired by the undeciphered Voynich manuscript

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I found the premise of this book very interesting. The main character is a convent librarian and I found it interesting to see how Beatrice perceived the mysterious book that she was given. I love reading books about books but also found that there was more to the story than just books. The reader is introduced to several characters and perceptions. In a way, I felt that whoever had The Book of Eve in their possession would be affected differently - depending on their personality. Not only was this book the root of many situations, but it also brought with it freedom. The Book of Eve by Meg Clothier is a well written feminist tale set in Italy during the Renaissance period and readers without any knowledge of the Voynich manuscript will enjoy this immensely.

The question that hangs over the early part of the story is the identity of the young woman, and why she feels so unworthy. It's a question that will keep you reading as she gradually recovers her identity.The Book of Eve features Sister Beatrice, the covent's librarian, who prefers to be with her books and manuscripts than people, even her sisters of the convent. One night two women show up at the convent at the verge of death. Before dying one of the women shoves a mysterious book at Beatrice, speaking in a language that the scholarly Beatrice doesn't even understand. Not long after men of faith with Brother Abramo at head, show up who want the book desperately to destroy it for it contains secrets that are forbidden. En un lugar que no nos dice, pero intuimos Italia, en un tiempo que no se define, pero claramente es algún momento entre los siglos XV-XVII, Beatrice es la bibliotecaria de un convento de monjas de clausura. La noche de carnaval, mientras todo el mundo en la localidad se divierte, llegan a las puertas del convento dos mujeres heridas que morirán pasadas unas horas no sin antes entregar a Beatrice un libro. ¿Quiénes eran? ¿Qué o quién las atacó? ¿Por qué ese ansia por proteger el libro? Bueno, pues todo misterios porque las mujeres solo hablaban una lengua extranjera que nadie pudo entender. AN ENGROSSING INSIGHT INTO THE FUTURE OF BIRTH THROUGH THE LENSES OF THE MOST PRESSING WOMEN'S HEALTH ISSUES OF OUR ERA' New Statesman

No one but Eve, Mother of the Living, who calls her “daughter,” and invites her to witness the truth about her story—indeed, the truth about us all. Aquellxs que seguís mis reseñas sabéis que valoro mucho los libros que me enseñan algo o me hacen inmiscuirme emocionalmente con la historia, más allá de los clichés actuales de la literatura. Y en esta novela, he sentido la empatía por estas mujeres y he sufrido con ellas el flagelo que sufren por culpa de los hombres y una religión que no las tiene en ninguna consideración. Tras un inicio prometedor, donde yo ya me las daba de feliz con mi historia medieval con reliquia ancestral rodeada de magia y misterio, me topo con una historia lenta, cuasi somnífera, donde la trama no acaba de arrancar, y cuando lo hace, es tan bruscamente, que parece que te hayas perdido trozos de texto por medio, se torna tan fantasiosa, que se desinfla totalmente. He vuelto páginas atrás asombrada, pensando haberme perdido algo, la narración es deslavazada, caótica, con hechos incomprensibles incluso partiendo de una premisa mágica.John closed his eyes and turned his face to the sky, wishing his conversation with Eve had not been so unbearably interrupted. If this tableau is newly familiar, it may be because Greta Gerwig restaged it in “Barbie,” imagining the moment with a doll instead of a weapon. But when Cat Bohannon, a narrative theorist and poet, rewrites the same scene, she has grander ambitions. She wants to change how we understand all of human evolution — to tear our eyes away from “the clever ape — always male” — and force us to consider the female of the species. How did our needs, and our anatomy, spark pivotal breakthroughs? What about the Dawn of Woman? Admittedly, the first few chapters of this book were difficult for me to follow. You are dropped in a place where you are not quite sure where you are and who you are with. It took me a while to get my bearings in this story but once I did, it was an interesting journey.

The container seems to have been used to transport people great distances, probably on a large vessel or ship. Since no flotsam drifted with it, we surmise it was purposefully jettisoned, but not before the girls inside were executed. If there is any mercy in such a tragedy . . .” Her voice hesitated as emotion found its way.Pulling himself up, he brushed off the sand before helping Eve to her feet. She gracefully accepted his hand, though it wasn’t needed. Coarse white hair formed a woven crown around her face, lined and creased by countless years, a masterpiece of sculpted joy and sorrow. She glowed more like a child than a matriarch, her mahogany eyes lit by expectancy. How did the female body drive 200 million years of human evolution? •Why do women live longer than men? •Why are women more likely to get Alzheimer’s? •Why do girls score better at every academic subject than boys until puberty, when suddenly their scores plummet? •Is sexism useful for evolution? •And why, seriously why, do women have to sweat through our sheets every night when we hit menopause?

The book does not leave one begging to discuss ideas with others, because it leaves you confused rather than fascinated. Con esta premisa yo solita le puse unas expectativas altísimas a este libro que en mi cabeza era un cruce entre ‘El código Da Vinci’ y ‘El nombre de la rosa’ pero con monjas. Esperaba yo aventurillas, misterios y una buena dosis de ficción de secretos históricos. Y a ver, algo de eso tiene, pero lamentablemente este libro no ha sido de mi gusto. Scientific research is on the cusp of being able to grow babies outside human bodies, from machines, for the very first time. Claire Horn takes us on a truly radical and urgent deep dive into the most challenging and pertinent questions of our age. Could artificial wombs allow women to redistribute the work of gestating? How do we protect reproductive and abortion rights? And who exactly gets access to this technology, in our vastly unequal world? Fascinating…An impressive feat…A book that is at once highly complex…and very readable, while avoiding thebehavioral economicspop-science trapof drawing too-neat conclusions….Existing as a woman in our increasingly atomized world can be isolating in ways that are hard to even identify.Beyond making me gasp aloud in wonder, Bohannon’s book was an unexpected antidote, delivering a profound sense of kinship with every other woman who’s ever existed (plus those various Eve ancestors).” The convent librarian, Beatrice, has been entrusted with the book but can she decipher it before it's too late?Moments from death, one of the unfortunate women presses a rather curious volume into Beatrice’s hands; a book most bewitching and mysterious and upon first inspection seem to be completely devoid of even the most basic ink, yet as Beatrice becomes more enamoured with this artefact it soon becomes clear that danger lies within its innocent looking binding… Cuando sabes que un libro conlleva detrás el esfuerzo mayúsculo de un autor y editorial, pero no te gusta, es difícil poder hablar de él con el respeto merecido. No queda más que intentar poner sobre el tapete los puntos positivos y negativos y dejar al libre albedrío de cada uno su juicio final.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment