276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fight Back

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I enjoyed the character development of the main characters and her friends. As a mother of a 12-year-old daughter myself I felt that the children were portrayed quite accurately and in a relatable way. The parents were not portrayed as overly religious or hard to connect to. They were quite involved in their daughter's life and were supportive the way I would imagine or hope I would be myself towards my own children. Perfect for readers of Elle McNicoll and Helen Rutter "A major, much needed voice in UK children's fiction." Alex Wheatle, author of Cane Warriors and Crongton Knights "One of the best, most relevant, most important writers we have in the UK today." Liz Kessler, author of When the World was Ours "A. Dapo Adeola, Tracy Darnton, Joseph Coelho and Chitra Soundar are among the 19 authors and illustrators longlisted for the Inclusive Books for Child... Wow, this story is so needed in these times. A world in which Muslims truly face Islamaphobia and kids face bullying needs books like this to teach empathy and also resilience. A truly empowering story with a Muslim girl at its heart, who has had enough of the world’s preconceptions of Muslims.

Ortiz, Simon (Autumn 1989). "An interview with Simon Ortiz". Journal of the Southwest (Interview). Vol.31, no.3. Interviewed by Kathleen Manley and Paul W. Rea. pp.362–377.

Publisher

An essential read to encourage empathy, challenging stereotypes, exploring prejudice, racism, Islamophobia and positive action. A.M. Dassu is the award-winning author of the critically acclaimed Boy, Everywhere, A story of hope, speaking up and the power of coming together in the face of hatred. Perfect for readers of Elle McNicoll and Helen Rutter. "A major, much needed voice in UK children's fiction." Alex Wheatle, author of Cane Warriors and Crongton Knights . "One of the best, most relevant, most important writers we have in the UK today." Liz Kessler, author of When the World was Ours "A. M. Dassu serves up an important, necessary book about racism and identity." Nizrana Farook, author of The Girl Who Stole an Elephant. Internationally acclaimed author A. M. Dassu’s follow up to Boy, Everywhere is an essential read to encourage empathy, challenge stereotypes, explore prejudice, racism, Islamophobia and encourage positive action. What I liked about the book was the voice of the children. I think it really resonated with the early-teen spirit and aspirations. Though the book focuses on islamophobia, which is very relevant it seemed a bit odd that Aaliyah did not feel curious about the roots of it. She choose to express her identity based on protecting the perception of her religion. But as a young person, maybe not completely reason or question different sides and perceptions. She wanted the world to understand her perception, but was not sympathetic to the people who developed the phobia. I think this book would have been more bold if Aaliyah tried to question the role of religion and toy with the ideas of identifying ourselves by religion. Instead of being a book about being a defender it could have been a book about questioning fear and dogma on both sides of the table. What I mean is Aaliyah mentions that islam gives women the choice to choose to wear a Hijab. But I wonder why she did not wonder why many women and men had to look at islam to find the choice for this matter rests with the woman. If by any chance it had been mentioned differently what would she do? Why did she not think that she did not have to refer to islam to decide certain things. Why did she not think that she actually questioned the racists but she could also question religion as a phenomenon. I recall questioning many rules and dogma present in my own religion as a child and I did it simply out of rational reasoning.

Coffee house Caffè Nero has announced the 16-strong shortlist for the inaugural Nero Book Awards, recognising the outstanding books of the past 12... There is a glossary at the end, and the definition of Hijab is a bit odd, highlighting Western and South Asian terminology and not the Middle Eastern or even global use of the Arabic word. I don't know that the glossary is even needed as the book really tries to establish that the characters are a part of their society and don't need footnotes and differential treatment, so the inclusion of a glossary for me, diminished the point a bit. Thirteen-year-old Aaliyah is attending a K-pop concert in Lambert, England, with her friends when an explosion sends the audience stampeding to safety. A. M. Dassu is former Deputy Editor, now Advisory Board member of Words & Pictures magazine for children's writers and illustrators, and a Director of Inclusive Minds, a unique organisation for people who are passionate about inclusion, diversity, equality, and accessibility in children’s literature. A. M. Dassu is patron of The Other Side of Hope, a new literary magazine edited by immigrants and refugees, which serves to celebrate the refugee and immigrant communities worldwide. She is also one of The National Literacy Trust‘s Connecting Stories campaign authors, aiming to help inspire a love of reading and writing in children and young people. I liked how the book contained actionable ways to take action in communities to change racist laws and rules. I also liked how it showed examples of coping after dealing with trauma.

Follow us

A timely, realistic look at what it is like to experience overt racism. In this case, Islamophobia.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment