276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tom Hartley: The Dealmaker

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was approached by a few publishers. I do get recognised as the name Tom Hartley is so well known. Ms Rooney added: "“There’s so much history stored up in the City Cemetery this film barely scratches the surface of everything there is to see and discover. I would invite everyone who is interested in history to watch the film and then go and explore the Cemetery for themselves.”

The Gallows Pole cast and creatives reveal all about Shane

But new Type Approval Import regulations, which meant only official franchised dealers could import and register cars in the UK, pretty much killed Tom’s business off. “I basically went from hero to zero overnight because I had spotted a gap in the market, but I became too successful and was brought down by the establishment,” he said. Presented Tom Hartley, whose book ‘Written in Stone’ is the authoritative text on the City Cemetery, the documentary takes visitors on a virtual walking tour of the Cemetery, stopping off at notable graves and locations along the way. Instantly Shane’s sense of humour draws you to him as a person, and instantly puts you all at ease. From there you’ve got this amazing level playing field that you’re all on, Shane’s very much on the level of the actors and he’s part of this with you and he’s really driving you forward. Obviously he’s an incredible visionary and he’ll see something very small in a scene and he’ll come in and make the smallest suggestion which will then grow and grow and you go off and play with it. It’s an amazing experience for an actor to have that creative playing field and it’s quite rare. Soraya Jane NabipourI really liked Bell House because behind it there’s a vista where we would all chill, and just being there was peaceful and beautiful. The documentary, Written in Stone, is eponymously named after Mr Hartley's book, and was produced with help of funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Dubbing himself ‘The Dealmaker’ which is also the title of his book, Tom tells his story of life growing up with a traditional Romany family in Glasgow, to making his first million by the age of 17.

Milltown Cemetery: The History of Belfast, Written in Stone

It is a fascinating story, very inspiring being able to achieve whatever you can and I am an example of that. What an experience, I don’t even know how to describe it to be honest, Shane’s just a really incredible thinker. It’s quite magical to see the way that he thinks and how he really makes an idea come to life. The way that he works is so unusual, I like the fact that he works through improvisation. Before I came on to this project, I was studying at Uni and I worked a lot with improvisation so it was really interesting to leave Uni and come on to this project and be surrounded by such a talented thinker. It’s just breath-taking.The first time I read Shane’s scriptments, the colours, the characters, the world, Shane’s humour that a lot of us have seen throughout his work prior to this, was all there and that just jumped out straight away. Obviously there’s a lot of serious themes and the content at times is quite heavy but Shane’s very unique but familiar humour I was really drawn to first and foremost. Behind that is obviously this really rich history of the family itself, the Hartleys, but also the area, the Calder Valley and this particular part of West Yorkshire. It’s a real love letter to the area as well. Starstudded customers include Rod Stewart, Elton John and golfing ace Rory McIlroy. He has even sold a Ferrari once belonging to Hollywood move star Nicholas Cage.

Tom Hartley: The Dealmaker - Tom Hartley: 9781787115675

I think audiences will enjoy seeing proper rural Yorkshire, I think they’re in for a treat in the fact that there’s not a large female presence in the book but I think the women do really take quite a lot of control in the scenes and I really enjoy that. The fact that they’ve included sex workers and these minorities or groups that might not get a lot of platforms in life, I think that’s really cool. Samuel Edward-Cook When I first read the scriptments, it was so exciting. As Sam said, there’s a very strong sense of Shane’s voice and his humour coming through, but I was also really attracted to the story of these people, their resourcefulness, their shrewdness, their tenacity to survive. And to me the story seems so relevant to now, to today. Coming out of this pandemic, the story of structures that are oppressive and exploitative and people finding a way to survive living within those and the gap between the haves and the have-nots. The first time I read the scriptments they felt so current and important, it didn’t feel like an old story to me, it felt like a story of today. I moved to the area in 2009 and lived in Mytholmroyd and I heard a bit about this local mythology but there wasn’t that much information about it, and I didn’t look too deeply in to it. One day my wife, Adele, who’s also a writer, was visiting a place called The Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle in Durham, she walked in to the library and was looking along the shelves and there was one book that didn’t have a spine on it. She pulled it out, put it on the table and it fell open at the trial notes of the Cragg Vale coiners, so she was reading them from 1770 and she came home that day and said ‘You know the coiners story?’ and I said ‘yes I know a bit about it’ and she said ‘that would make a brilliant TV series, you should write it’ and I said ‘well I don’t know how to write telly, but I could have a go and write a novel and maybe Shane Meadows could film it one day with some of the actors from This Is England.’ That was in 2014, and it wasn’t even a plan, it was sort of a joking pipe dream really. These days his base boasts two showrooms, one with a glass ceiling offering a 3D experience, as well as a helicopter pad to fly in his high-profile clients. I think I connected to the story itself. So when we found out what the project was and where it was based (I live 20 mins from here), the passion and determination of this group of people hasn’t left Yorkshire in my family and other people’s families who are from here, and many moons have passed since the time of the coiners, but that’s not changed and that is very much what Yorkshire people are. Bending the law slightly, not so much anymore, but the determination to do the best they can with what they’ve got, is absolutely what drew me to it. Dave PerkinsHis passion and enthusiasm for the subject really comes across and he is a natural in front of the camera.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment