276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Destination NC500

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you want to stop, find a safe place to pull off in a designated parking space or lot. Pulling over onto the side of the road or into a field can be unsafe, lead to damage to the fragile environment, cause erosion, and mar someone’s private property. Bealach Na Ba & RVs

Coastline & Beaches:The route has coastline (and several beaches) along its western, northern, and eastern sections. Our favorite coastline in terms of views is probably the rugged western and northern sections. Our favorite beaches are around the northwest between Melvich and Sandwood Bay in the northwest, and then around Achmelvich Bay. In terms of food, I’d expect fresh, rustic, and homestylemeals that rely on the local produce at most eateries along the NC500. However, whereas there are fewer options than you’d have in a large city like Edinburgh or Glasgow, there is still a wide variety of food stops that range from budget-friendly cafes serving simple salads and sandwiches to Michelin-starred restaurants serving four-course menus. Having the round-trip flight and car bookings done, we are now in the process of establishing our self-driving route, and we are trying to figure out how to reach as many points of interest as possible, but without over-doing it…

You may also like…

Short hikes– There are hiking trails all over the North Coast 500 and you’ll likely find many suitable for your kids. If you have babies or infants that need to be pushed in strollers, look for all-ability paths which are suitable for wheelchairs as they also work for prams. If you are planning on drinking, even one drink could put you over the legal limit, so plan to stay in after drinking, have a designated driver, or call a taxi. We would land in Edinburgh on Friday, September 6th, 2019, and stay 4 days, exploring the city and surroundings;

As noted earlier (worth repeating!), we’d recommended trying to book your lodging 3 months in advance (especially if you are thinking hotels, B&B’s or self-catering options) as the amount of lodging in some areas is currently not sufficient for the demand at the busiest times of the year. However, in recent years, they have added North Coast 500 brown tourist signs along the route to help people stay on the route. So it is much easier to follow the route now. We definitely agree with encouraging people to stop and spend money at the local campgrounds, hotels, museums, restaurants, shops, visitor centers, etc. It is the best way to support the local economy, meet people, and get the most of the route. The slower you go, the more you’ll see and the more you are likely to enjoy your trip!Summer Isles Hotel in Achiltibuie – I think they allow dogs in many of the rooms plus in the bar area (but not the restaurant) Bradley and I spent 2 weeks doing the NC500, but we were taking it slow on purpose because we had time to kill, and we were working whilst travelling, so, therefore, dedicating one week to the NC500 road trip is a pretty good shout!

It is recommended by the NC500 to not drive anything over 18 feet (about 5.5 meters) on these. Partly because of the narrow stretches and also because you need to be able to safely pull into and reverse the vehicle into passing places which are not always that long. So I just mentioned Loch Maree above, and this is one of the most beautiful lochs in Scotland (in my humble opinion).Castles:There are a number of castles along the route, ranging from crumbled ruins to the former home of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother to picturesque Disney-like castles. The drink drive laws in Scotland were changed in 2014 and are now very strict with low limits to discourage drinking and driving. The legal drinking limit is now lower than in any other part of the UK. You could still be charged even if you are riding a bike. Planning a North Coast 500 road trip can be a bit overwhelming as it is a relatively new route and there isn’t as much information available online or in guidebooks compared to other top road trips around the world. But not to worry, we’ll provide all the information you’ll need to plan your NC500 road trip. May is a good time of year to travel in Scotland, it tends to be one of the better weather months. As noted, the weather is pretty unpredictable year round and I’d come prepared for some cool weather and rain. The midges shouldn’t be out yet. Most things along the route will be open as the tourism season in the Highlands normally begins in April around Easter.

Day 1: Inverness to Ullapool via Gairloch (and or Apple Cross) If you decide to do Apple cross then that’ll probably be a busy enough day for you. IF you don’t you could probably go further than Ullapool if you wish, I would suggest Kylesku.

Featured Products

I would recommend starting with our 1 week North Coast 500 itinerary which will help you plan your days around the NC500, I’d recommend spending 7 to 10 days on that route but you can certainly spend more. If you do more than 7, you can just add additional nights to some of your stops so you have more time in some areas. This is especially a good idea if traveling with young kids. If you want to walk down into the cave itself then you’ll need to be wary of tides and make sure you can actually get in. So I think with just planning your route in advance and staying off the side roads, you should be fine with the motorhome you have. The route is definitely best explored with the smallest vehicle you have, but I think you can do it with the one you have with some good route planning.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment