276°
Posted 20 hours ago

One Good Thing: From the bestselling author of Confessions of a 40 something F##k Up

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Both Liv and Harry have been abandoned, finding solace in each other they slowly but surely start to reach out to the wider world and it opens up new connections and possibilities. I’m not even a dog person, cats are more my bag but if you don’t fall in love with Harry then there’s clearly something wrong with you. But Liv soon discovers she isn’t the only one in need of a new beginning. On their daily walks around the village, they meet Valentine, an old man who suffers from loneliness who sits by the window and Stanley, a little boy who is scared of everyone, hides behind the garden gate and Maya, a teenager who is angry at everyone and everything. But slowly things start to change... Je to úžasný príbeh o láske v rôznych podobách, o priateľstve, o strate, o živote. O tom, ako žiť ďalej, keď sa vám rozpadne život. O tom, že niekedy stačí jedna dobrá vec, aby vám spravila deň krásnym. O veľkej podpore v komunite.

One Good Thing is the heartwarming, hilarious alternative love story, from the internationally bestselling author of Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up , Alexandra PotterIt has humour, sadness, hope and a real positive feel to the book. I also loved hearing all the descriptions of the building work and renovations to the cottage Liv moved into. With some evocative descriptions, a picture of chaos, dust and rubble is transformed over time into something that sounded idyllic. Just like the cottage renovations, with time, Liv rebuilds her own life into something much better than it ever was, while helping others in the village to see there is still life after loss, it’s just a different life. In life, nothing is certain. Just when you think you have it all figured out, something can happen to change the course of everything . . . I loved every character we encounter but Valentine, Ben, Stanley, Maya and Liv were my absolute faves and I loved that we encounter POV chapters for four of them, which really added much needed insight into their emotions and thought processes. Though I have to admit, the star was definitely old Harry who’s presence really managed to light up the entire village. Od Alexandry Potter som v minulosti čítala dve knihy. Príbehy s originálnymi, neobvyklými nápadmi, ale v podstate priemerné. Preto je táto kniha jedna z najväčších prekvapení tohoto roka. Utterly relatable, hilarious and heart-breakingly honest, this is a novel about friendship, finding happiness and living the life unexpected. And how when everything falls apart, all you need is one good thing to turn your life around and make it worth living again.

I really loved just how interconnected each of the characters were and how their friendship ultimately unites them all at the crossroads of their lives and together find their happiness, and in some cases their true calling. It gave me all the feels watching this rag tag group slowly but surely find their paths after struggling for soo long, plus the found family aspect was pure joy to explore. One Good Thing is the heartwarming, hilarious alternative love story, from the internationally bestselling author of Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up, Alexandra Potter Es war so schön zu lesen, wie sie sich alle durch Harry verändern und wie die ganze Dorfgemeinschaft zusammenwächst. Grief does play quite a big role in the story as several characters are struggling with their own grief or loss; for Liv it’s the loss of her former life and the certainty that her marriage brought, for Valentine it’s grieving his wife as her dementia steals more of her each day and the loneliness of living without her, for Stanley it’s the idea of his mum now being a star in heaven and for Maya is the fear and uncertainty of growing up. But, each character journey into overcoming that grief (or sense of loss) was soo inspiring.Told through numerous points of view there is bound to be a character everyone will find relatable. I was eager to see how each of the characters would connect with the main character Olivia. After finding out her husband of ten years was having an affair Olivia runs away to the quiet country town of her childhood to start afresh.

The prose is sincere and vivid. The characters are quirky, genuine, and supportive. And the plot is an astute, absorbing tale that takes you on a heart-wrenching rollercoaster ride of love, loss, friendship, family, community, thoughtfulness, dementia, grief, companionship, new love, and moving on.There’s so much to enjoy in this simple tale, not least the delightful cast of diverse characters. As well as Liv, we get septuagenarian Valentine, whose wife is in a care home with Alzheimer’s, rebellious teenager Maya, and seven year-old Stanley, who’s trying to get used to the idea of his mum being a star in heaven. Yes, they are all clichés, but it is exactly this that makes them so wonderfully human and relatable.

Olivia's world changes when she adopts an old abandoned dog and through him she connects with other people in the community and learns, through Harry, to leave the hurt of the past behind and live for the moment. I loved how such a mish mash of characters all ended up becoming so important to one another. A divorced woman, a single dad, a child on the spectrum, a wayward teenager, and a grumpy old man. It was just the perfect mix of characters, and it melted my heart how they all got their happiness in the end, with a few bumps in the road, but they all got there. Liv ist geschieden und muß erst wieder Fuß fassen, daher zieht sie in ein kleines Dörfchen in Yorkshire. Um ihrer Einsamkeit zu entgehen, adoptiert sie Harry einen älteren Hund aus dem Tierheim. Auf ihren Spaziergängen lernen sie die neue Nachbarschaft kennen. Stanley ist Autist und fürchtet sich vor allem Neuen, Valentin ist ebenfalls sehr einsam, seine Frau ist an Alzheimer erkrankt und er besucht sie täglich im Heim. Maya ist ein aufmüpfiger Teenager und kann sich momentan selbst nicht leiden. I really connected with this on a personal level, grief and dementia are both things I’ve struggled to deal with in life with family members and I just felt SO connected to these characters and felt as though I was going through the heartbreak with them. What I loved most was the happy and uplifting moments that would always follow. That one good thing. Liv the protagonist was wonderfully relatable as I have been in her position and it’s not easy but as mentioned in the prologue “life happens at the edge of your comfort zone”.

Featured Reviews

Ich habe alle Protagonisten in mein Herz geschlossen und es war so berührend, teilweise auch traurig, ihre Lebensgeschichten zu erfahren. But Liv soon discovers she isn’t the only one in need of a new beginning. On their daily walks around the village, they meet Valentine, an old man who suffers from loneliness who sits by the window and Stanley, a little boy who is scared of everyone, hides behind the garden gate and Maya, a teenager who is angry at everyone and everything. But slowly things start to change . . .

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment