276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Suspect: The most addictive and clever new crime thriller of 2019

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When two 18-year-old girls Alex and Rosie go missing while on holiday in Thailand it stirs up all kinds of emotions in Kate.... Kate’s son Jacob dropped out of university and went traveling to Thailand to “find himself“ with very sporadic communication with Home... Kate who is a reporter instantly gets herself on the case, and when the families travel to Thailand she is compelled to go too... but Kate has no idea what awaits her in Thailand, secrets and deceptions that will turn the reporter into the story! They will see and witness your greatest shame, and will not judge you! These dogs will be the truest and best partners you can ever hope to have, and they will give their lives for you. And all they ask, all they want or need, all it costs YOU to get ALL of that, is a simple word of kindness." The guy likes dogs. Really likes them. And gets them. And gets that ineffable, core-of-the-heart bond that develops between human and canine. I mean, he's got passages here written from the perspective of a German shepherd. Took some brass to lay that down. But it works. The whole thing works and then some. I wasn't sure anything was going to top Joe Pike in L.A. Requiem - which stands untouched in the field of modern crime for me. Yet this story comes awfully close. It's just that good. Kate Waters is a dedicated, passionate journalist. Always seeking to be first on the story, with the best information. Kate Waters also struggles with her wayward son, who left for Phuket, Thailand two years previous to the story, and calls once or twice a year at most. Alex is finishing up in school, she’s young, vibrant and full of a zest for life and a will to travel the world. Her bestie Mags may have dropped out of their planned trip to Thailand, but an acquaintance Alex might not have always seen eye-to-eye with named Rosie, isn’t enough to deter Alex from her excitement to spread her wings and taste a new found freedom.

Dennis Potter Writers Award for television writing from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) in 2001 Thank you so much to Elisha at Berkley Publishing Group and to Fiona Barton for the opportunity to read an advance reading copy of this novel. However, this isn’t the best Robert Crais I’ve read. That’s kind of damning it with faint praise though. While I liked it a lot, it didn’t have quite the emotional heft of some of the recent Elvis Cole books I’ve read, and the mystery/action stuff wasn’t as relentless as in Hostage. But it’s still good, and Crais’s good is more than a lot of writer’s best. TV Spielfilm Award at the International Film and Television Festival Conference in Cologne, Germany in 2008 for her television adaptation of her novel Above Suspicion

Publication Order of Standalone Novels

We witness the parents, one of which has seemed to cover for her son, making excuses, granting him his poor behavior even up to the ultimate of protecting him from punishment for his deplorable actions. Other parents allow their eighteen year olds to embark on a trip overseas to a land where danger lurks, while not really knowing the person their daughters travel and spend their time with. The children, or more young adults, make disastrous choices, one to the point of emerging in the drug and alcohol culture and free wheeling her way through a number of men she beds, while the other knowing full well that what she is involved in is absolutely wrong, does nothing to allay her situation. You see, for them, life is a party and that party should never end. One of the young men in the story, drifts into a state of feeling sorry for himself, wallowing in the "my parents pressed me to be successful mantra", while a second young man thrown around a system of various foster homes and parents, becomes a mad human being, a drifter. While all of this seems to be the making of a good book, unfortunately, this outing fell flat. La Plante’s influence on the crime drama genre cannot be overstated. Her strong female characters and gritty, realistic depictions of police work have inspired countless writers and filmmakers. She has also been an advocate for women’s rights and has used her platform to raise awareness about issues like domestic violence and sexual assault. Alex and Rosie go travelling to Thailand together, Alex had planned to go with best friend Mags but when she pulled out Rosie persuades Alex to let her go instead, even though secretly Rosie does not want to follow Alex’s itinerary. The holiday of a lifetime soon turns sour!! I hadn't read anything by Scott Turow for years and expected "Suspect" to be a 'legal thriller' mainly because that's what the blurbs called it. Turns out there's a little courtroom stuff in it, but mostly it's a competent crime thriller. I really enjoyed the first half of the book, but the story did lose some steam in the second part. Once I figured out the villan, I was ready to wrap it up.

Maggie is diagnosed with PTSD. I was so emotionally invested in this story. I’m thinking....”WHO IS THIS AUTHOR?” “I’m enjoying storytime!!! This dual-timeline, domestic-noir tale is a tense, read-in-one-sitting thriller -- The Sun on Sunday Fabulous MagazineSince this was my first book from this author, I will admit that his style of writing is a bit different. I'm not sure that I can put into words exactly what it was about the story, but to me if felt flat. The characters were superficial and I never really felt anything for any of them. Pinky kind of annoyed me and I'm not sure why. When she decided to follow the neighbor, the decision itself didn't make sense. It felt like a child pretending they were invisible - it just didn't seem realistic. How she thought that he wouldn't notice was just comical - and it wasn't supposed to be. Candlish controls the drip feed of information and ramps up the tension to great effect -- The Guardian I received an ARE of this book from Berkley Books. There was no demand that a review be written, but I strongly suspect they prefer one be posted.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment