276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Breakers Series: Books 1-3

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I personally believe we need an international agreement that restricts efforts at editing heritable traits to elimination of diseases like the above. It explains the foundational science in a way that's immensely readable for the layman, and dramatizes in a pulse-racing way the intense rivalries and collaborations that occurred in academic biology and the enterprise of biotechnology in the heady race to establish claims on being the first to discovery or invention, and stake out patents and startups. In the spring of 2012, the Berkeley biochemist Jennifer Doudna and her collaborators turned a curiosity of nature into an invention that will transform the future of the human race: an easy-to-use tool that can edit DNA.

Breakers Series by Edward W. Robertson - Goodreads

It felt as though there should have been an international referendum on this, but as documented in the case of the CRISPR twins in China – which you’ll find chronicled in the book – the cat was already out of the bag.Not only a story about the fascinating life of Doudna, and the crazy ride through competition and innovation that she and her collaborators and opponents lived through over the past few decades, we are also invited to question how we feel about these new frontiers that humanity is being dragged into with the advent of somatic and germline gene editing. I was more excited about CRISPR back in those days so my review contains more discussion of the details.

The Breakers, Newport, Newport, Rhode Island - Book Tickets The Breakers, Newport, Newport, Rhode Island - Book Tickets

While it made my poor atrophied brain convulse in exertion I would still recommend it to those willing to take the risk. She is incredibly high-impact and ingenious but also made a discovery that was poised for realization by other rival teams, suggesting a convergence of insights in scientific history; she thrives in an academic laboratory that was hugely funded by government grants, yet she patented and privatized the use of CRISPR-Cas9 for a venture-capitalist-funded startup; she gives rightful credit to others in documenting and writing up journal papers, but she also ambitiously pushes her team to expedite publishing their results and establish their priority in garnering conclusions; she is cautious about the applications of gene editing yet she cooperates with the US Dept.He is very good at providing the background necessary to grasp the historic implications while keeping the reader engaged. How does one truly feel about such important and life changing technologies that could also be the authors of the world's destruction? But he did and one twin came out fine but Isaacson tells us it didn't go well with the other -- but not why. ca where you'll find a diagram explaining CRISPR technology, and pictures of the bookmark I was inspired to make after having read this fascinating book.

The Code Breaker - Wikipedia The Code Breaker - Wikipedia

However, the answers - to the extent one is not discussing widespread potential damage - are not necessarily for the Code Breakers to debate or provide. Those unable to keep up would merely be serfs whose only existence would be to serve the master class. In a nutshell, Charpentier, Doudna and Feng Zhang all (somehow) ended up (sort of) collaborating on various (openly shared) COVID-19 testing and vaccine procedures. Doudna si Charpentier au revolutionat domeniul in 2011 demonstrand ca poti tinti, cu ajutorul unui ghid, secventa de ADN pe care vrei sa o tai, inserand in loc o gena preferata, adica este programabil !While she preferred and encouraged her team to be self-sufficient and independently driven, she still offered guidance and had a knack for asking creative questions, that lead to big ideas and new projects. The Code Breaker is a gripping account of how the pioneering scientist Jennifer Doudna, along with her colleagues and rivals, launched a revolution that will allow us to cure diseases, fend off viruses, and enhance our children.

The Breakers | Luxury Palm Beach Resort The Breakers | Luxury Palm Beach Resort

Her life story illustrates that the key to innovation is connecting basic science to our everyday lives--moving discoveries from our labs to our bedsides--in ways that respect our moral values. Admittedly, I found that my favorite part of The Code Breaker was the applied science behind the development of COVID testing kits and the swift roll-out of the mRNA vaccines we needed to beat back the ongoing pandemic. One should expect more books on genetic science than any other subjects singing peans of its impact on our health and life. If the field offers equally exciting and inspirational stories of the professionals involved, like Doudna, Charpentier, and others in the book, it is even better. Onyeka has always hated her hair so it’s ironic that it should turn out to be the source of a spectacular superpower.

Based on personal diaries, letters, records and oral histories, The Breakers audio tour offers first-person accounts of life in the house from members of the family, servants and their children. I have never been against vaccination, and can safely say that everyone in my house is fully immunized for all the standard diseases.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment