276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel

£7.22£14.44Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Horowitz has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Holmes canon, and sets his story in a definite time period, both in the very real sense – the story takes place in November 1890 – but also by placing it in relation to the rest of Conan Doyle’s stories – we are some seven weeks after “The Adventure of the Red-Headed League”, and Holmes has just completed “The Adventure of the Dying Detective”. I just wish Hollywood would stop trying to recreate, reinterpret and reboot old stuff: the same movie could have been presented as a contemporary of Sherlock, even with a cameo from the ‘real’ Sherlock, and I would have been much happier.

It’s also well-written, and moves along well, but falls into the trap of so many authorized continuations, where the author is trying so hard to be true to or respectful of the characters/settings that the story itself ends up suffering. From the moment Horowitz’s Holmes opens his mouth, I heard Brett’s distinctive voice in my head and knew I was on to a winner, at least in terms of characterisation.So far high praise for Throwing Shade has come from Mixmag, Dummy, FACT, the Guardian, FADER, DAZED, i-D, Crack, Clash, the Quietus and Complex among others, while those not yet in the know can catch her at an EP release party on 10 March at a secret London location. It was a great pleasure working with a professional team right across the board – from management, security to bar staff. There may be evidence of the previous owners (inscriptions in the cover, the odd marking etc), it’s their history that makes them more precious, its all part of their narrative. Also an ill inmate died right on cue as required for the plot; Horowitz has obviously watched some Alfred Hitchcock and thought he’d outsmart the reader by adding a twist to an old prison escape story where the escapee hides in a coffin.

While “hashtag IRL" exemplifies her voice, tapped by SOPHIE for breakout track “Lemonade” and most recent single “L. August 2022 - I'm the first to reach for the off button when there's too much "jazz" involved but this was a good blend that wasn't overwhelmed by either genre.

But if you are looking for something more in keeping with the original I would look at Donald Thomas. Photograph: Bob Krist/Corbis Man of mystery … Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk is the first official follow-up to Conan Doyle's last Sherlock Holmes case. The House of Silk is a Sherlock Holmes novel written by British author Anthony Horowitz, published in 2011. Horowitz cites Dickens, Gissing and Mayhew amongst other sources for help with the atmosphere of nineteenth century London, which he makes convincing.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment