276°
Posted 20 hours ago

An Eagle in the Snow

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Bien plus qu’une biographie qui relate les actes héroïques sans égal de ce simple soldat britannique, Michael Morpurgo a voulu comprendre pourquoi il avait fait ce qu’il avait fait. Se fondant sur la vie bien réelle d’Henry Tandey, il a écrit une fiction qui dépasse sa propre expérience dans laquelle il explore la nature du courage et le dilemme devant lequel chacun d’entre nous nous trouvons lorsque l’on découvre qu’une de nos actions, qui nous paraissait juste, se révèle être la pire que nous ayons jamais commise. With discipline, deception, persuasion, and surprise, Maximus holds the line against an increasingly desperate and innumerable foe. Friends, allies, and even enemies urge Maximus to proclaim himself emperor. He refuses, bound by an oath of duty, honor, and sacrifice to Rome, a city he has never seen. But then circumstance intervenes. Now, Maximus will accept the purple robe of emperor, if his scrappy legion can deliver this last crucial victory against insurmountable odds. The very fate of Rome hangs in the balance.

An Eagle in the Snow - LoveReading4Kids An Eagle in the Snow - LoveReading4Kids

Two days later I rode southwest in the spring sunshine. Behind me I left my youth, my middle age, my wife, and my happiness. I was a general now and I had only defeat or victory to look forward to. There was no middle way any longer, and I did not care. You have been my friend," replied Charlotte. "That in itself is a tremendous thing...after all, what's a life anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die...By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.” Es fácil escribir sobre héroes o victorias o finales felices. Es mas jodido lo contrario, lo que vemos aquí. Cum am reactiona fiecare dintre noi, daca ar sta in puterea noastra de decizie sa alegem cui ii crutam viata?Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments Henry Tandey said in some press interview: "I didn't like to shoot a wounded man, but if I'd known who this corporal would turn out to be, I'd give ten years now to have five minutes' clairvoyance then." Michael's books have been translated into many languages including Chinese, Bulgarian and Hungarian, Hebrew and Japanese. He travels all over the UK and abroad talking to people of all ages at literary festivals, telling his stories and encouraging them to tell theirs. In iarna anului 1940, un tren ce se indrepta catre Londra a fost atacat de raidul aerian al trupelor germane, mecanicul locomotivei fiind obligat sa adaposteasca trenul intr-un tunel, pentru a salva viata calatorilor.

Eagle in the Snow | Review - Dane Cobain Michael Morpurgo – An Eagle in the Snow | Review - Dane Cobain

Morpurgo added: “Storymakers and storytellers like Barrie, and like all the previous winners of this award, have given us the hope and faith children need, we need, to keep flying, have sustained us through dark and troubled times, have banished doubt. To touch the lives of children, to witness their listening and reading silence, is reward enough in itself. This is simply the icing on the cake.” An Eagle In The Snow has a great cover to draw readers in but the book is marred by poor binding and likely won't last long in even the most caring of readers. The novel has the lovely pencil illustrations by Michael Foreman which often feature in Morpurgo's novels. Quite simply, this is another outstanding story for children and adults from this award-winning British author. Pues eso, no sé si castigarlo mucho por esa primera mitad o levantar la mano por esa magnifica 2ª parte. David Wood, chair of Action for Children’s Arts, said Morpurgo is “one of our greatest storytellers”. Even the soap operas that they see on television are full of domestic strife. At least one third of children in the UK are from split families. So you can’t serve up stories about Janet and John and their nice little dog, saying that the world is sweet. As we grow up, we all have to confront the uncomfortable things in life like death and loss.”

Anna Geary: 14-hour workdays are a walk in the park compared to motherhood

The powerful new novel from the master storyteller - inspired by the true story of one man who might have stopped World War II, it bears all the hallmarks of the next Morpurgo classic and is another stunning and resonant story of war and its impact on ordinary people. Seventy-two year old Murpurgo, who has written over 120 books, was in Cork recently at the invitation of Cork City Libraries. He enthralled 1,000 youngsters in Millennium Hall, City Hall, talking about his writing life and his fascinating novel, Listen to the Moon, inspired by an account he read of the sinking of the Lusitania off the Old Head of Kinsale in 1915. Strainul le vorbeste despre Billy, un soldat-erou al Primului Razboi Mondial, care, desi a luptat vitejeste alaturi de camarazii sai si a primit multe medalii pentru actele sale curajoase, a lasat garda jos pentru o secunda, in timpul unei batalii, lucru care a dus, poate, la schimbarea cursului istoriei.

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem | Goodreads

My mind was a messy attic, with snippets of my interviews and different rumors jumbling in my head. Când se termină o bătălie, însă, ei bine, lucrurile se schimbă. Iar bătălia aceea se terminase. În jurul nostru zăceau morți și răniți, unii flăcăi de-ai noștri, dar cei mai mulți de-ai lor. Atunci te uiți la ce-ai făcut. Victoria era a noastră, dar nu se simțeam victorioși. Așa e mereu. Nu te bucuri. N-ai un moment de triumf. Nu simți decât ușurare. Trăiam. Cel puțin deocamdată. Scăpaserăm cu viață. This moving book giving us a front-row seat to events from 407-409 during the struggles of trying to hold walls and land whilst Germans mount their brutal offense is brilliant on all "fronts." O poveste destul de bună, cu lecții despre solidaritate și empatie. Aș recomanda-o copiilor fără ezitare în defavoarea cărții lui John Boyne, Băiatul cu pijamale în dungi, în care evreii stăteau și se jucau... Recenzia aici: https://bit.ly/3PFfZB7.După război, poți să discuți ce e bine și ce e rău, dar în miezul luptei, soldații nu-și pun asemenea întrebări. So to this book: I cried. I literally cried.. and more than once. It's just so so unfair and sad and there's all this cruelty.. and unnecessary violence and death.. but you are helpless and you can do nothing about it.. it is what it is and you can't change the course of history.. it's devastating.. But as far as Morpurgo is concerned, classic old fashioned stories will always have a place in our at times scary new world.

Eagle in the Snow: The Classic Bestseller (Phoenix Press)

By the end of three months the legion had doubled its original size and the men were getting fit. At the end of a twenty mile march in the pouring rain, their clothes sodden and their feet sore, they could erect a camp complete with defenses in the space of forty minutes and then fight a sixty minute action afterwards."And it could've also been that one of the other soldiers he saved was one who smuggled Jewish ppl out of Germany during the war and or was in a resistant group and fought against Hitler.. and that would've also been thanks to him.. oh man.. we will never really know how or what happened and how exactly it influenced the course of history.. but I feel sorry for him to only be remembered as the one who didn't shoot Hitler.. His cousin Julian was brought up by his own parents as Julian's were forced to commit suicide by a usurping Roman Emperor. Julian also grows up to be a soldier, but at this point the cousins' paths diverge. Maximus and Julian represent two sides of a Roman coin - on one side is Maximus: the Empire, staunch, disciplined, loyal and forever Roman. On the other side is Julian: the Empire in decline, resentful, living-on-the-fringe, and consumed by hatred. Wallace Breem is clearly a knowledgeable person with great writing ability. This story was absolutely gripping. I loved the feel throughout the whole thing, as the dread built and built before finally breaking. Breem is a great writer, and I wish more people knew about this book. It should absolutely be a classic in the genre. I had just come off reading Colleen McCullough’s wonderful First Man In Rome, thinking this was going to be an entertaining little book, but not imagining I would love it nearly just as much. The books are totally different, but about equally as good. The stranger continues his story as they wait for the German aircraft to leave so the train can leave the safety of the tunnel. Barney at times becomes upset at the darkness so as he's telling the story, the stranger strikes matches to comfort him with their light. Barney learns that Billy Byron was a brilliant soldier who was seriously wounded several times and won many medals including the Victoria Cross. Near the end of the war he spared the life of a German soldier at the Battle of Marcoing. Like most Great War veterans life was not easy after the war. Billy eventually located Christine and they married. At times he seemed fine, other times troubled. As Adolf Hitler comes to power and hostilities begin between Germany and Britain, a fateful night in the cinema reveals to Billy the seemlying terrible consequences of good deed done years ago.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment