276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Code Name Bananas: The hilarious and epic children’s book from multi-million bestselling author David Walliams

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Madcap. Zany. Quirky. Hmm. It didn't hit the spot for me at all. The woman voicing Eric didn't help, yet another grating stereotype that didn't fit. An actual child's voice would have been nice. Orphaned by the war, Eric has few friends but Gertrude, a gorilla at London Zoo, and her keeper, his uncle Sid. The German bombs end up causing Gertrude to escape her cage, which in turns means the owner of the zoo determines to have her put down (yep, it's a bit forced), so the three of them decide the best course of action is to run away. Cue a big country-wide chase, and lots of female clothing. And a final act involving two not-at-all suspicious old ladies in a dilapidated seaside boarding house. Eleven-year-old Eric spends his days at the place that makes him most happy: London Zoo. And there’s one animal in particular he loves: Gertrude the gorilla. Alhoewel humor ‘n kardinale rol in al Walliams se werk speel, sypel daar tog deernis en empatie deur wanneer hy Eric se gevoelens aangaande die verlies van sy ouers beskryf: ‘Dit het gevoel asof hy in ‘n droom is, of eerder ‘n nagmerrie, waarin hy onder water vasgekeer is en niemand hom sou hoor as hy gil nie.’ (64) Verskeie tegnieke om trae lesers te prikkel, word aangewend: nagtonele is wit op swart in plaas van swart op wit gedruk; geluide word in groter lettertipes aangedui en skep bykans die indruk van ‘n klankbaan wanneer woorde soos pah, woesjjj, hôôôh, grrr, krrr, doink, klonk, auuu, whuhh, ratataa en oef gelees word; die skrywer spreek die leser direk aan deur middel van voetnotas, en die illustrasies deur Tony Ross is so gedetailleerd en gepas dat dit bykans die effek van ‘n grafiese roman skep. Code Name Bananas by David Walliams is an adventure story book for Children . Unlike most books it is filled with lots of illustrations.I must say that the book was funny somehow . There where many twists that younger readers will enjoy . This book is best for children aged 7 and up . The illustrations has an important part in making the story beautiful. But I didn't Enjoy it as much as thought it to be . Anyway people interested in reading funny and satisfying stories will love it. I am a booktuber so do visit my booktube channel JP Kid Studio for Children's book Reccomentations and book review. https://youtu.be/18qzTy-0f8E.

David Walliams said, "This book is an epic comedy adventure set in World War II with an animal at the centre of the story. I hope children will fall in love with Gertrude the gorilla. There is plenty of humour, action and excitement to delight even the most reluctant reader." There are three types of gorilla – the eastern lowland, western lowland and mountain gorilla. All stuff themselves with up to 30kg of leaves, stems and fruit each day, but some also eat insects, snails and tree bark!

Een goed volgbaar verhaal in grote letters, met geluiden in grotere en speelse lettertypes tussendoor. Hier en daar staan illustraties en de hoofdstukken zijn ingedeeld als ware ze onderdeel van een geheim dossier. Fijn is dat er achterin een stukje staat met wat niet-fictieve feitjes over de 2de Wereldoorlog. Vrij simpel verhaal dat veel kinderen zal aanspreken, en verfrissend omdat de focus echt ligt op de avonturen met de gorilla ipv een realistischer oorlogsbeeld wat in de meeste oorlogsboeken geschetst wordt. Onthoud dus dat dit vooral een fantasie is over dieren, maar dan gezet in een historische setting. Per sort, aconsegueixen tocar el dos, però s'hauran de amagar en llocs ben estranys... fins i tot dins d'un submarí! Que potser s'han convertit en superespies? I loved that this book was set during World War 2. This setting added a great opportunity for a little bit of history to be sprinkled into the story. The history that was featured in this story was interesting and made for some truly funny scenes.

Gorillas are the largest of the great apes, but sadly they are critically endangered because of habitat loss and poaching. I am a massive fan of David Walliams’ book, so I was excited to get my hands on this book. I am happy to say that this book was just as awesome as I had hoped it would be.More than two million homes were destroyed across the UK during the Blitz. To stay safe, many families spent the night sleeping in air raid ‘shelters’ I didn’t enjoy this one quite as much as the other David Walliams books I’ve read. I’m not really sure why because it was a good story but I think the pace was quite slow, felt a little bit of a slog at times. I think the toilet humours got a bit old now as well cause there tends to be some kind of poo joke in his books, which I’m sure kids love but I’m at little over it haha 😂 Britain is at war with Germany. As bombs rain down on the city, orphan boy Eric forms an extraordinary friendship with a remarkable gorilla: Gertrude. Eric spends his days at the place that makes him most happy: London Zoo. But when the zoo is no longer safe Eric must go on an epic adventure to rescue Gertrude. Together with his Uncle Sid, a keeper at the zoo, the three go on the run. But while hiding out at the seaside they uncover a top-secret plot . . . escape the clutches of evil villains . . . and in the end they save the day! Together with his Uncle Sid, a keeper at the zoo, the three go on the run. But while hiding out at the seaside they uncover a top-secret Nazi plot…’ I think I just miss the heart of Walliams' earliest novels. The ones that felt personal and could actually bring a tear to your eye. And the amount of celebrity authors now following in his footsteps jades me as well.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment