276°
Posted 20 hours ago

You Can Trust Me: The gripping, glamorous psychological thriller you won't want to miss

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hailed as a psychological thriller. Well, I disagree. I didn't get too many psychological thrills from this book. Look, it's readable, I read it and finished it and didn't skip any paragraphs (came close!), but I found the plot to be too long winded and uninteresting. I worked out who the killer was and I HATE THAT, it was too obvious for me. her best friend and husband decide to surprise her with a cruise in place of their usual trip. It sounds like a dream to anyone else but to Mae it’s a painful reminder of the day she lost her brother. The way the girls could get swept away to this island and once there, they honestly could have vanished into the ether. They were just playthings for the powerful men visiting the island; mere arm candy, trotted around like little prizes.

Initially, I had some issues distinguishing Summer from Leo, but once I did, and a few chapters of set-up, this story really took off running and I was truly intrigued! If you are a fan of unresolved, mysterious disappearances like I am, this novel will most definitely be right up your alley! Once I was invested in the mystery element of this story, I had no choice but to keep reading, and this turned into a truly unexpected edge-of-your-seat thriller! It was atmospheric, and I truly felt a palpable simmering sense of danger the closer Summer got to unraveling what happened to Leo.You must train your intuition – you must trust the small voice inside you which tells you exactly what to say, what to decide. Ingrid Bergman So when Julia is found dead in her home, Livy cannot come to terms with the news that she chose to end her own life. The Julia that Livy knew was vibrant and vivacious, a far cry from the selfish neurotic that her family seem determined to paint her as. If you cannot trust yourself, you cannot even trust your mistrust of yourself – so that without this underlying trust in the whole system of nature you are simply paralyzed. Alan Watts This breathtakingly intense, excessively claustrophobic, and absolutely exciting thriller grabs you from the beginning! With each chapter, you become more drawn into the universe of drifters and enigmatic, ultra-rich billionaires. Atmospheric and claustrophobic. Very cleverly plotted; you won’t know who to trust’ Catherine Cooper, author of THE CHALET

A propulsive, sun-drenched adventure with smart, sharp commentary on wealth and power.”—Grace D. Li, New York Times bestselling author of Portrait of a Thief You Can Trust Me is about the bond of friendship between two different ladies and how they pull through a difficult time together. Both Summer and Leo are con artists who are constantly looking for opportunities to take advantage of. When the beautiful Leo meets the well-known millionaire Michael Forrester, she manages to wow him with her attractiveness, and he subsequently extends an invitation to visit his private island. At that point, she vanishes, and Summer is forced to take charge of the hunt for her friend who went missing. She makes up her mind that she will locate her friend regardless of the circumstances. You Can Trust Me is one of those books which immediately intrigued, then wrapped up with such an unbelievable plot that it left me unsatisfied. I hate books where, voila, the ending is explained. Summarized. Told to us that because of A, B happened. The end. I loved Blaxill’s use of locations in this book, especially how Esme was found unconscious at somewhere that was both public and private. Usually, key locations will be either public or private, never both. This enhanced the mystery aspect of this book, as at the key moment, the house and its grounds were officially a private place, yet enough of the public knew about it that it was also somewhere that anyone could have got to. I really loved this, as I was constantly left guessing, and my focus was taken to different places at all times, which meant that I never saw this ending coming!

Trust me!

But Livy does not accept the suicide death for Julia, and begins to investigate Julia’s life and realises that perhaps she did not know her at all. Alienating everyone around her, Livy is determined to get to the truth of the matter but danger lies ahead as she stirs up an age old murder and finds herself in the sights of a killer… One of the best thrillers I've read in a while! Especially if you like California scenery, absolutely secretly unhinged characters, and loyal friendships!! An outstanding story. Cleverly plotted, fantastically written and a fast-paced, intriguing read’ Lauren North, author of THE PERFECT BETRAYAL

But despite the ever-present reality of systemic misogyny, 'boys being boys' and the very real truth that even nice guys can be complicit in terrible things just by saying nothing, You Can Trust Me never feels preachy, or like an "issues" book (despite dealing with all of these issues sensitively and with brilliant naunce). The twists and turns pull you along right from the start- and keep you guessing all the way to end. The characters are complex and brilliantly drawn, and even the ones you're not sure you can trust will work their way into your heart (sometimes before shattering it entirely). Summer and Leo have been best friends and scamming the obnoxious, California elite for some time now, and they have their sights set on their biggest score yet - self-made billionaire environmental philanthropist, Michael Forrester. When Leo charms her way into Michael's crosshairs, and lands an invitation to a getaway on his luxurious private island, the girls realize this could very well be their biggest payoff yet, if they play their cards right! Only Leo doesn't come home when Summer expects her to. As a matter of fact, Leo seems to have disappeared, without so much as a goodbye! Livy is married with two children, the marriage is strained thanks to infidelity on her husband's part six years ago, the bonds have never quite reconnected. Her twelve year old daughter Hannah is twelve going on eighteen and Livy is at constant loggerheads with her over everything from underwear choices to eating breakfast. Her younger son is a sweetheart, the joyful child in the family.Livy's husband and friends say it is her guilt over this that is making her obsessed with unfounded suspicions. I also thought the setting of Michael's private island was quite interesting. There was something very Jeffrey Epstein about it. I enjoyed having something real life to sort of compare this to. It made it feel more realistic to me. Five years ago, con artist Summer rescued Leo from a life on the streets. Ever since then, they’ve roamed from town to town all over California depending on only one another. With the freedom to do whatever they like, the two have carved out the kind of life not necessarily made for everyone, but is perfect for them. Thanks to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for sending me an ARC of You Can Trust Me in exchange for an honest review.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment