276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dying of Everything

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Obituary To Release Self-Titled Tenth Album In March". Blabbermouth.net. January 11, 2017 . Retrieved January 11, 2017. Dying Of Everything features cover art by Mariusz Lewandowski, the Polish painter whose stunning work has appeared on albums by Rogga Johansson, Morgue Supplier, Psycroptic and Abigail Williams, to name just a few, but who sadly died unexpectedly in 2022. “He did a fantastic job on the artwork,” John reflects, “but he passed away not long after he did our album cover. I think our cover art might’ve been the last thing he did.” It's unusual for a band that's been around since the '80s to be doing some of their best work in the 2020s, but that's exactly what OBITUARY have accomplished through their do-it-yourself attitude and relentless touring on a worldwide level.

As the doom-laden sludgy finale of “Be Warned” provides one last hurrah, it’s incredible to reflect on the quality of a band who hit 40 years in a mere year’s time. Like many of their peers, Obituary’s ethos is simple. Enjoyment. “I think it comes down to passion,” John offers. “I say this all the time, but if something’s not fun, I’m not gonna do it. And we’re having more fun than ever.” This album has a 'Cause of Death' vibe to it. The music is quality riff-wise. And the vocals are vintage John Tardy-esque. I like both the riffs and the vocals the most. The production quality is different. It's kind of hollow which doesn't mean I'm scoring it lower. The riffs are fresh and the songwriting is totally Obituary. But yeah, the vibe is in the vein of 'Cause of Death'. But it's modern death metal with their own sound that they acquired in the late 80's-early 90's. A lot of their releases duplicate the previous but this one is a little different. The main difference is the sound quality. It makes it sound unique.It admittedly takes little to expand upon Obituary’s brand of death metal, but them doing it to themselves worked wonders. For the most part, Dying Of Everything touches on a lot of what the more varied outings have given us in the recent decade. Using modern production tactics to the advantage of echo and haunting effects beside buzzing riffs made a world’s difference, rather than cleaning everything so much. The end result is a disc that boasts all of the sludgy, dense characteristics that made Slowly We Rot incredible with a refreshing new personality. A likely cause for the consistent style throughout Obituary’s career is their stable core lineup. John Tardy has always been the consistent voice of the band, and his brother Donald has always delivered with solid drumming performances on every record. Rhythm guitarist Trevor Peres has been there since the beginning as well, and his meaty tone helps brand a strong identity for the band. Lead guitarist Kenny Andrews and bassist Terry Butler have been apart of Obituary for over a decade now and seem to have settled in really well on the last couple of records. The band is really a well oiled machine and continue to pump out a reliable product even over thirty years into their career.

Following “Barely Alive” is “The Wrong Time” which is probably the album’s catchiest song, appropriately released as a lead single and best exemplifying Obituary’s strongest and most pronounced qualities. The chorus is easy to follow along with, the main riff is steady and engaging, and the aesthetic still feels very much dripping in old school grime. Cuts like "Weaponize The Hate" and "By The Dawn" are not going to surprise any Obituary fans, as the band doesn't deviate too much from their formula. "Torn Apart" is in similar vein but it does have some tremendous riffing that makes this particular song stand out a bit when compared to the rest of Side B. The band is downgraded as well, with John Tardy's vocals sounding especially anemic these days. Ken Andrews, who was a true highlight last time around, barely ever has a standout moment here. Trevor Peres still plays his caveman riffs, Terry Butler is there, and Don Tardy still plays the drums proficiently. But this took 6 years to make! These guys are pros and legends in the death metal scene, they know what works (I hope), but they just don't give a shit, or at least it sounds as such! Listeners will be starved for a hook better than "the right mindset, the wrong time," or even more than two riffs per song. Is it really that hard to try a little? Yardley, Miranda (August 24, 2012). "The Terrorizer Friday Death Metal Top 15". Terrorizer.com . Retrieved June 1, 2020.This is one that Ken and I wrote together. I guess you’d call Ken the new guy, but he’s been in the band for 10 years now. He did a great job on this. And my brother just did a killer job on the vocals. In the middle part, he did like a nightmare, talking-in-your-sleep kind of thing where it builds from a whisper to kind of getting mad, and then there’s a brutal sound effect on his voice when he says, ‘Your only choice is death!’” I think it comes down to passion," vocalist John Tardy offers. "I say this all the time, but if something's not fun, I'm not gonna do it. And we're having more fun than ever." Moving on from the songs, I'd like to discuss the album's production. It's surprisingly natural for a modern death metal record, and it's not overproduced. It's not a raw record at all, but the production is solid. The instantly recognizable Obituary guitar tone roars and takes the limelight on this album, sounding like Cause of Death from an alternate reality. The bass cuts through for the most part as well, though it isn't the album's main attraction. The drums are rather "blunt" (as previously stated) and, while present, sound a bit quiet in the mix.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment