276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The One in the Office: Exciting Gay Stories

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In 1998, Waheed Alli became the first openly gay peer in Parliament. Aged 34, he also became the youngest too. He has since used his political influence to advocate for LGBTQ+ rights. He led the charge on the repeal of Section 28; he successfully campaigned for the Equal Age of Consent from 18 to 16 for gay men; he challenged clauses in the Civil Partnership Act that allowed religious institution to prohibit same-sex ceremonies on their premises. For 24 years he’s been one of the greatest LGBTQ+ champions in the House of Lords. Outside of politics he’s a successful businessman, as well as a patron of numerous LGBTQ+ charities. He continues to use his influence where he can to positively progress LGBTQ+ rights. Imaan However, there are flaws in using interviews as the foundations for someone’s asylum case. While there are interpreters on hand to help translate questions for people who don’t have a solid grasp of English, Reiss argues it can be difficult for someone to express intangible feelings adequately to an interviewer. What we see all through history is that people are denied their past as part of a way to control them," says Hornby. "The fascist playbook is always to destroy the history and culture of the minority it is repressing. History empowers us. At its most fundamental, it says, 'We have always been here. We have a place.'" Several months ago, I took a trip with a longtime, close friend. We are both gay men and have traveled many times together over the years with few problems and a hell of a lot of fun. My friend can be high-maintenance but I am pretty low-key and we've managed to work out our different styles and to enjoy ourselves.

I said to her: “Did my mother give birth to a dog? Because why are you talking to me like I’m a dog?”’ he says. ‘I was very combative because I felt I was being targeted and the questions weren’t about me, or what I’d been through to get to the stage of claiming asylum in a country to start another life. However, it's fiction that’s very much driving the phenomenon of bringing "lost" stories of gay life from the past to light. Over the last five years, a trio of Irish writers have delivered stunning gay-themed novels set predominantly in periods of history that didn't welcome them – John Boyne (The Heart’s Invisible Furies), Graham Norton (Home Stretch), and Sebastian Barry (the Costa Award-winning Days Without End). In the theatre, Matthew Lopez's exploration of gay male history The Inheritance triumphed in London before transferring to New York, where it opened the year after a well-received revival of Mart Crowley's seminal 1968 play Boys in the Band. Last year, the latter was remade as a film for Netflix by Ryan Murphy. She thinks gay men still face prejudice in showbusiness but regards her own lesbianism as a sort of superpower that enabled her creativity and stopped her being ‘mired in children and stuff’. Having been through the asylum system with varying degrees of success, both Jason and Joel believe more could be done to make the process fairer for LGBTQ+ refugees.If you’ve watched the brilliant 2014 film Pride directed by Matthew Warchus, you’ll be familiar with Mark Ashton and the impact he made during his short time with us. A staunch gay rights camapinger in the early 1980s, he’s most well known for forming the Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners group who would raise money for the National Union of Mineworkers during the year-long strike of 1984–1985. The fundraising effort included the iconic Pits and Perverts concert at the Electric Ballroom in London, in which Bronski Beat’s Jimmy Somerville headlined. This support for the miners would forge a longstanding relationship between the LGBTQ+ community and labour groups, whose later support would help progress the social and legal advancement of LGBTQ+ rights. Aged just 26 years old, Mark passed away in February 1987 from an AIDS-related illness. There is a special panel on the UK AIDS Memorial Quilt created in memory of Mark and the significant activism he did. Femi Otitoju We'd have a little group that could push things. I want to be a role model, but I also want to change the game as much as I can." The Premier League partners with charity Stonewall's Rainbow Laces campaign, aimed at encouraging more acceptance of LGBTQ+ diversity

He said that after coming out, he received a private message of support on his social media account from Henderson, which he has kept. I think rapes certainly wouldn't have been called rapes. I have never been raped. There was a system of sexual favours [at Stowe], but they never happened with violence. A lot of buggery went on, and things in that area - but I don't think there was ever anything that brutal. These things are so difficult, and it's not unusual for people to exaggerate after the fact. In my view [the John Peel case] would have to be very much a one-off thing. There was a lot of homosexuality at certain periods in English public schools, but I've never heard of rape. More broadly, Parkinson underscores the importance of integrity when it comes to depicting trans stories. ”Trans people just want fair representation – and to keep telling our stories and sharing our experiences on the global stage,” they say. “We should be advocating for increased visibility and inclusion within society – and ensure these stories are told authentically”. As well as holding space for the struggles that members of our community still face in the theatre world, it’s important to recognise where ground has been won. I was with men, women, men and women at the same time, with cross-dressers, and have cross dressed myself.This season, Josephine’s new show Cowbois centring transmasculinity is set to premiere at the Royal Shakespeare Company and serves as an opportunity to upend traditional connotations surrounding the figure of the cowboy. “I wanted to disrupt the Hollywood version of cowboys – the white cis straight male gaze, that’s often racist and misogynistic,” Josephine explains. “I wanted to dive into the genre, embrace the swagger, and be cheeky with gender.” His behavior also gave me new insight into the falling-out he had with a mutual friend several years ago, while we vacationed in the same resort town. They had been sharing a bed, and I noted that our other friend had begun to sleep on the sofa, too. They had an angry fight one night on that trip and they've never spoken to each other again.

Czech Republic's Jakub Jankto became only the second current openly gay top-flight male professional footballer in the world in February, after Adelaide United player Josh Cavallo in October 2021. Keri Russell goes casual in a sweatshirt and jeans as she appears at a You may feel a desire to punish your friend. It's natural when we have been injured to want to lash out. But I think the best course is to spend some time with him and try to reach a new understanding that contains a further frankness. What has gone between you requires you, in fact, to find a further frankness. The casual arrangements you have made in the past are no longer enough to encompass what you now know. However, that’s not to say that theatre is immune from the wider anti-LGBTQIA+ sentiment being felt across UK society. Below, we speak to queer theatre practitioners about the wins in their field, as well as the battles they’ve yet to overcome. Trans creatives taking centre stageHe wrote a long piece for the Liverpool matchday programme in November 2021, expressing support for Stonewall's Rainbow Laces campaign.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment