276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She has been awarded numerous prizes for her work, including the Red House Children’s Book Award and the Fantastic Fiction Award. Mild spoiler here but the drug addiction plotline was so poorly done and barely touched on, I didn’t feel any emotion at all it felt so shallow. She was the only character that didn’t feel like she had a dark secret or hidden intentions and I liked that.

To give it credit, it did keep me entertained and the pacing was good and there were some scenes where I was kept in genuine suspense, but overall just poor.Most of the story is concentrated on Tobey and his poor judgment, which often made me want to climb into the pages just to smack him. I have wanted there to be a further book in the Noughts and Crosses saga since I finished Checkmate. I looked everywhere for spoilers (something I am telling you NEVER DO), and all I found out was that it was going to involve drugs and gangs. The problem I think I had, which colored my reading of Double Cross, is that the third book in what was supposed to be a trilogy ended with threads woven in and it was a nice, natural close to a satisfying story. At the same time he is dealing with his sister's drug addiction, his mum's late shifts at the hospital and discovering who his true friends are.

The writing is perfect, it paints the scenes so well without adding words that don’t need to be there. that's all I really have to say, (you know who I mean or maybe you don't) and every time his name was mentioned it was like the wound was opened again. It is directly related to the prior books and is definitely worth a little extra effort to track down.It is very encouraging that Blackman's series of books has been so successful and is widely read and made available in UK schools – as it quite rightly should continue to be. This is such a good ending to the series as you see it from how everyone else is feeling about black and white people who are normal everyday people and don't have any money. I give it a full 5 stars for the happy ending at the end, making all our tears throughout the series change into smiles. Also if you're reading this review after having already read the previous three books in this series and you want to read this as it seems a few things from there may be resolved in this one, they aren't. However I thoroughly enjoyed it and was kept gripped and entertained throughout, just as I was with the other books in the series.

You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. In 2005 Malorie was honoured with the Eleanor Farjeon Award in recognition of her distinguished contribution to the world of children's books.Partly because I feel that this book is good and partly because I feel that being part of the ‘Noughts and Crosses’ series ruins it. Things thrown in for the shock factor, a happy ending where there shouldn’t have been one, characters doing things that I just couldn’t fathom their motive for. This review assumes that you have read all the previous books in the series, and thus will contain spoilers with regard to those stories. However I don’t think it adds anything significant to the overall story as a result it feels quite removed from the original book in the series.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment