276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Vox AC10C1 Combo Guitar Amp

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Our sole complaint: the controls are a bit peaky. Turn up the reverb, and at a certain point, it’s on, really on. Ditto for the Treble and Bass knobs. This isn’t a problem, but you’ll need to learn to finesse those controls and find their sweet spot. This is a sweet and simple amp with fantastic tone. Once broken in, the speaker sounds great. It plays well with pedals as well. With a simple design like this it all comes down to tone as there are no bells and whistles to attract potential customers with, so how does the AC10C1 perform? Starting with a clean tone, the gain set low and master volume set high it is immediately apparent just how much this amp sparkles and chimes. Classic Vox cleans are present straight away with a load of dynamics that are so much fun to play. At these settings there is plenty of clean headroom from the master volume but you’d be hard pushed to play with a loud drummer on stage if clean tones are your thing or you need a clean amp for running pedals into. USED products: 4% of the current new selling price to increase the warranty from 3 months to 1 year. 4% for each additional year.

The size - I got this amp exclusively because of its small size and low wattage, but make no mistake, this amp can keep up at a gig no problem. The size is absolutely perfect, especially because of the small car I drive (Honda Fit), and I have no problem toting this amp, my guitar, and my pedal board all in one trip from car to venue. Many amps equipped with the AC-10 "Super Reverb" chassis, such as those shown in the pictures shown at left, were equipped with a traditional (and separate) anodized aluminum control panel. While gray anodized control panels seem to be more common, red panels were also produced. However, some AC-10 "Super Reverb" chassis do not have an anodized control panel. The control panel nomenclature on these amps was silk screened directly to the leading edge of the aluminum chassis as a cost saving measure. The only pedal that i had not sell was the sd1 Boss. I was not happy with it with my JCM 800 and other amps. The amp has a lush digital reverb built in. It has one knob, so it's less or more. I leave it on about 4 all the time.

The options - while the options are few, they are all you need to get that signature Vox sound, and even some sounds that resemble a good Fender clean, but with a british twist. The digital reverb is okay. My problem is not with the quality of the sound, but simply that it should have been optimized to favor more subtle sounds. Seriously, you're unlikely to ever have that knob over "9:00" before it gets pretty swampy and surfy. But at the end of the day, it's better to have it than not have it. Oh yeh, did I mention "loud"??? This amp has got volume to spare--totally beyond expectations--mind boggling volume. NEW products: 4% of the current new selling price to double the warranty from 1 year to 2 years. 4% for each additional year.

This amp is light weight at under 30 lbs. If you like tube amp tones, but your at that stage in life where hauling a 40-50 lb. Amp is not that appealing, this is the amp for you. Grab and go. It sounds best when left on the floor vs. put on a stand. The way the cab is constructed, being on the floor gives it some more resonance which helps fill out the tone. Exactly 50 years after the original was discontinued, the new AC10C1 joins Vox’s Custom Series, its flagship line of tube amps (make that, valve amps). And just as in the olden days, it slots nicely between the revived AC4 and AC15. Yet the 10 now includes more desirable bells and whistles than ever before. The original 1960s AC10 featured a single tone control, but we have added more control on the AC10C1 with a Bass and Treble circuit that adds different and versatile tone setup and enhances the various levels of gain. A welcome addition to any amp of this size is reverb and we painstaking designed the AC10C1’s reverb to sound just right, adding tonal ambience without being overwhelming that is all too often the case with many other amps. The Vox AC10RT was equipped with three Goodmans 10" stamped frame speakers with alnico magnets. An impedance value of 15Ω was imprinted on the rim of each speaker (see photo at left). As the trio of 10" 15Ω speakers was wired in parallel, a total load of 5Ω (15Ω÷ 3 = 5Ω) was presented to the output stage of the amplifier.

Share Your Thoughts

The preamp circuitry of the AC10 Super Reverb Unit bore little resemblance to the original and namesake Vox AC10 circuit documented on JMIschematic "OS/008 AC/10 Amplifier N o 3," dated September 9, 1960. The original AC-10 design from 1960 had two channels while the AC-10 Super Reverb unit had only one. While the preamp circuit of the 1960 AC-10 utilized esoteric ECF82 and EF86 tubes, the 1964 "AC10 Super Reverb Unit" preamp was powered by more conventional 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes. The only effect in the original 1960 era AC-10 circuit design was tremolo. The 1964 era AC-10 revision added reverb. The "AC10 Super Reverb Unit" and the original "AC/10 Amplifier N o 3" circuits were produced concurrently by Vox in 1964 and 1965. I bought this so I would not have to lug a heavy Marshall to practice. I ended up selling the Marshall because I was playing the Vox more.

The design is focused on tone at a reasonable price. While the original was a dual-channel amp with four inputs, the revived version is a single-channel affair with one input. It’s based on two ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes and a pair of EL84 output tubes in Class A design. This differs from the original’s six-tube setup, but it shares the fundamental preamp-output tubes.

The AC10 was one of the first amplifiers to bear the VOX name and has long been adored for his ability to achieve rich, articulate tube tone at very manageable volumes. For this reason, the AC10 has become a highly coveted piece of VOX history since it's discontinuation in 1965. Now in 2015, VOX is proud to introduce the AC10C1, a modern take on this classic design. The classic Vox top-boost tone is present: the clear and clean high-end cuts well. But I was particularly surprised by the warm bottom-end: the bass tones are clear and well-defned without being "boomy" or "woofy". And the old Vox tremelo (which I never used much) has been replaced in this AC10C1 by a reverb function that adds a realistic spacial character that doesn't wash-out the fundamental guitar tones.

If you are interested in receiving this coverage for longer than one year, you have the option of purchasing additional years of the Performance Warranty. The pricing is as follows:Accessory Coverage: Any peripheral devices or accessories that come with your product (i.e. foot pedal, case) are also covered. For those of you wondering, this amp is definitely loud enough for gigging at a small bar, even with a drummer. I have it in my basement operating at half volume and my ears are starting to really ache. I have no doubt this would work at a small gig, even without a mic. The AC10C1 is one fine-sounding piece of kit. Yes, the reverb’s digital (although high-quality digital), and, yes, it uses a printed circuit board. But the price is right, the looks are historic, and the tone summons forth the greats.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment