276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Dark and Hollow Star

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Thalo and Celadon looked eerily alike, despite the fact they were only first cousins. Her mother looked so much younger than her forty-two years, and with the same twilight-glow complexion, willowy height, russet hair, and lovely features as Celadon, it was a fair assumption to make that they were siblings, when in fact it was the High King and Thalo’s mother—the princess Cyanine—who were brother and sister. Tall and lithe, his numerous years were yet unable to conquer his sinewy strength. His voluminous emerald and turquoise robes, fastened by gleaming gold, did little to soften the severe cut of his glamoured ivory face. For as long as anyone can remember, the Eight Courts of Folk have lived among mortals, concealed by magic and forbidden to do any harm to humans. The peace in the Courts has lasted for centuries until a series of horrible and ritualistic murders shakes the city of Toronto. These murders threaten to expose faeries to the human world.

A Dark and Hollow Star Quotes by Ashley Shuttleworth - Goodreads A Dark and Hollow Star Quotes by Ashley Shuttleworth - Goodreads

They hadn’t said it outright, but this was the closest they’d come in this entire meeting to announcing their verdict—to condemning Arlo to a fate she’d never choose if her life were actually up to her. From way up high, the city looked like an open maw. Night draped ebony velvet over the fang points of its numerous buildings, disguising their promise of death, and the many glowing lights woven into this deceptive veil reminded Nausiccä of the souls the stars kept watch over. This was better than nothing, and despite the things Arlo had inherited from her father—her burnt-red hair, her underwhelming height, and the sturdy width of her build—Celadon had never once treated her as anything less than a true Viridian. It filled Arlo with teary relief to see Celadon, blithe as ever, wafting into the room in his tight jeans and crisp sage button-down, as usual looking like he’d just walked off the set of some glamorous photo shoot.She had several other cousins and relations (however removed) who came and went, passing winds who thought nothing of asking rude and prying questions into her life and made very little effort to keep their whispers about her to themselves.” However, we present to you a third option. A compromise, as it were. In light of the family from which your magical inheritance comes, the Council shall recognize the possibility of—to use the High Prince’s term—‘proper fae biology.’ You are not the first ironborn child of royal fae parentage, and none yet have followed the standard cycle of fae Maturity. But in deference to our High King’s House, we shall extend to you the option of deferring this decision to a later date.” If the most recent case had indeed occurred right here in Canada—in territory that belonged to UnSeelie Spring—their government could no longer afford to do nothing. The Fae High Council would be forced into searching out possible culprits; they had enough to keep them occupied without grilling Arlo for what was now twice as long as her Weighing should have taken, but throwing their failures in their faces and rushing them along probably wasn’t the best way to force their meeting’s conclusion—certainly not, given the look on most of the Councillors’ faces. An air of finality bled from the stands. Arlo’s desperate attempt to explain herself failed with her courage. Unnecessary, many in the faerie community whispering behind their hands, and Arlo had to agree. The High King cares more about rooting out the Assistance than he cares about finding who’s killing his folk…

A Dark and Hollow Star by Ashley Shuttleworth | Waterstones

The mystery is fantastic and I loved the different POVs though we are mostly learning things through Arlo’s over the others. As we’re piecing together things it just makes the stakes rise even higher and by the end of the book I had no idea what to do with myself. LIKE HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL?! And now I really want to roadtrip to Canada and take the book with me lol. Be that as it may, this counts for very little where Miss Jarsdel’s power is concerned.” Arlo’s stomach took a dive for the floor. Gaining momentum, Chandra continued, “Her father’s blood dilutes too much. She has magic, yes, but so little of it that she may as well not have it at all. While our deliberation might seem like prejudice to you, Your Highness, you must understand that there is much more for Miss Jarsdel to gain in pursuing her humanity than there is for her in chasing the formidable shadows of her mother’s family.” You’re right. He’s nowhere near fabulous enough. He can be my slightly inferior but equally arrogant son, Legolas.” A gripping flight into fantasy…The plot offers high stakes, simmering romantic tension, political drama, refreshingly casual representation of queer and transgender characters, and an intriguing magic system that draws inspiration from Dungeons & Dragons.”— Kirkus I can’t remember the last time I full on belly laughed while reading a book (okay it was probably the infamous Daevabad potato head line but still, that was a while ago) and this book had me do it more than a couple of times.

Popular Posts

The Cruel Prince meets City of Bones in this thrilling urban fantasy set in the magical underworld of Toronto that follows a queer cast of characters racing to stop a serial killer whose crimes could expose the hidden world of faeries to humans.Ch... Councillor Chandra rose from her seat, displeasure etched into her stunning sand-brown face at the thinly veiled accusation in Celadon’s statement. “Weighing the worth of an ironborn child is no trivial matter, Your Highness.” Shifting broke out in the stands as the Council no doubt realized where Celadon’s argument was leading. Arlo was just as uncomfortable.

A Dark and Hollow Star Review – The Caffeinated Reader A Dark and Hollow Star Review – The Caffeinated Reader

For all that the High Prince delighted in ruffling the feathers of aristocracy, there wasn’t anyone she knew who could turn more heads. But many more had stopped putting such importance on the color of blood, and it was considered abhorrent behavior on anyone’s part to do so anymore, but especially a member of the Fae High Council. It was also the very worst thing to say in front of a powerful prince he’d just insulted, whose personal time had long been devoted to advocating for ironborn rights. And not only that, but in this current climate of unease, if word got out that one of the Council’s own had displayed such elitist behavior… Arlo didn’t know what would happen. Tension churned in the room following Celadon’s speech. Councillor Sylvain waved a hand through the air. “Look at her!” Sylvain seethed. “The blood in her veins is red, not blue—not fae—and she possesses none of the traits that would make her one of us. She is human, High Prince Celadon, and we cannot make exception for this simply because you enjoy throwing your favor around for attention.”

A Dark and Hollow Star: Multiple slow burn queer romances

She could take the boon of common citizenship and allow her life to get on with itself as originally planned. She wouldn’t hold the glorious rank of fae, or be allowed to study at fae universities, or take a position in the palace any higher than general help. But she’d at least have a place in both her parents’ worlds, and with all her memories intact. They were going to reject her status even though she had enough magic and very much wanted to remain a member of the magical community. It… it should matter that I’m a Viridian,” Arlo heard herself say, in a voice made small by nausea and nerves. “My magic might not be very strong, I might have much more of my father’s iron blood than you’d like, but I can still alter and conceal my appearance with a glamour just fine, and I possess enough of the Sight to see through the glamours of other folk as well…” What? No! Nausicaä you can’t kill the Seelie Prince of Summer just for ‘wasting your time,’ you…do know that, right? Yes,” said Gavin Larsen, Nayani’s husband and Seelie representative of Summer, looking nothing but amused by the proceedings. “And what is Arlo’s decision?”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment