276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kololo Hill

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Told from varying points of view, different family members. It was interesting to read just how they saw things, the differences in their opinions and the fairness of everything political and perhaps racial that they had to face and endure. There seemed to be differences between young and old, male and female. Their upbringings - generations - certainly playing a part. Some of those involved cope with the news of the expulsion better than others. For Asha’s husband, Pran, the news is nonsense. The complexity of this story is set in motion when Pran has to leave behind the business that he works tirelessly at. A moving portrayal of a family uprooted from a life they have worked so hard for. At times devastating, I found myself gripped to this story rooted in our history yet scarily still relevant.' - Louise Hare, author of This Lovely City The charm of Kololo lies in its natural beauty, said Mr. Tumwesigye. “Shrouded in greenery, the neighborhood offers serenity,” he said. “And it comes with a spectacular view of Lake Victoria. It’s also conveniently located near the main Central Business District, which makes it attractive.”

There was an average annual decline of 3% in sales prices for two-bedroom units in prime residential suburbs such as Kololo in the first half of 2019, and a 4% decrease in sales prices for three-bedroom units in the same time period, according to a market update report on Kampala by Knight Frank. I used to be a one-book woman. When I started writing, that all changed. I tend to have a research book on the go, plus a few novels. Right now, I’m reading the 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, People Like Us by Louise Fein, Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay and I recently finished Monster Souls by Rebecca Kelly.

What do you do for inspiration?

Kololo Hill is a book that I believe all Oshwals, young and old should read. It tells the story of the expulsion of Asians from Uganda under the rule of Idi Amin during the 1970s, focusing particularly on one family’s move from their life there to the UK. The novel was written by one of our own Oshwals, Neema Shah, who has elegantly put our community’s history to paper, and made sure our stories are not forgotten. Acacia, one of the city’s larger malls, is in Kololo. It has a number of retail outlets, a cinema, a gym, three dine-in restaurants and a nightclub on the rooftop, according to Ms. Bandali. neemashahauthor beautifully captures the lives of immigrants, their emotions while leaving everything behind and adapting to a new culture and country. Her words will keep you hooked from the beginning, take you on a trip to the radiant land of Uganda and make you wonder what home really means to you.

The architectural landscape reflects the neighborhood’s affluence. Elegant mansions adorned with manicured lawns line its streets, creating a picturesque panorama of wealth and sophistication. These grand residences, often home to Uganda’s elite, serve as a physical manifestation of the neighborhood’s status and attract high-net-worth individuals seeking a lifestyle of luxury and exclusivity. Also read: Top 5 boat trips in Uganda you can’t miss Infrastructure and Amenities What do Ugandans know about the lives of Indians in Uganda before they were expelled by Idi Amin in 1972? Very little, if at all. A few that do will probably reference Mira Nair’s 1991 film Mississippi Masala , which tells the story of an Indian family’s travails in the USA after leaving Uganda. The book is split into two parts. Part 1 follows the main family during their time in Uganda and Part 2 follows them after their arrival in London. While I enjoyed the book overall, Part 2 was probably my favourite. The plot slowed down a bit here but that paved the way for the characters to really develop. I’m shouting out Asha, who was hands down my favourite. She was a strong woman who stood up for herself. She defied the stereotypical Gujarati girl of that time period and I am here for that. How do you learn to navigate new landscapes and languages, building alternative lives to the ones they've always known? Asha is a newlywed woman living with her husband’s family in Kololo Hill, Kampala. Life for them as Asian Ugandans is very ordinary: managing the family business, visiting friends and going to the temple; believing the country’s problems aren’t their own. Until Idi Amin issues a decree expelling the country's Indian minority and giving them 90 days to leave the country.Like Kampala, Kololo is very cosmopolitan, Ms. Bandali said, adding that its residents are a “very mixed group that includes some prominent families in the city, government officials and also blue-collar families who rent homes.” Ideally, we would publish every review we receive, whether positive or negative. However, we won’t display any review that includes or refers to (among other things): For Asha and Pran, married a matter of months, it means abandoning the family business that Pran has worked so hard to save. For his mother, Jaya, it means saying goodbye to the house that has been her home for decades.

Jaya arrived in Uganda as a young bride in her teens with no family around her. She had to establish a family away from her own family, twice — once in Uganda, and once again in Britain after the family moves there. What was refreshing was that each and every character was well-rounded, we were given the chance to really get to know them all, every person just as important as the rest. There were no supporting roles, they were all equal even though they were in-fact facing their own individual journeys.The story opens with Asha, the daughter-in-law, looking out towards a gruesome view of the Nile river, while her mind wanders, thinking of her extremely secretive husband. The novel is narrated in third person through Asha, her mother-in-law Jaya and her brother-in-law Vijay who offer different perspectives on the expulsion and their subsequent life in London. It is also strange that in a tale situated in Uganda very few Ugandans, apart from the menacing presence of Amin, feature. December is little more than a fleeting excuse to try and show the magnanimity of the Motichand family. We don’t know his story, or what eventually becomes of him. Shah conveniently ignores the fact that thousands of Ugandans were also forced into exile by Amin, without as much as a passport in their hands. And that hundreds of thousands never made it out alive. So, being Ugandan, and having experienced the bitter bread of exile myself, it is difficult to feel sorry for the Motichands The hill also features the best road network and the most beautiful & luxurious houses in Kampala City

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment