276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Wind in the Willows

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Pictured right: Graham Robertson frontispiece illustration from the first edition Wind in the Willows, 1908 featuring Ratty and Mole. The edition only had one illustration. The Wayfarer: a vagabond seafaring rat, who also makes a single appearance in Chapter 9, "Wayfarers All". Ratty briefly contemplates accompanying him on his adventures, before Mole convinces him otherwise. The beginning is filled with an abundance of descriptive prose. The first hour basically sets the scene for the nightmarish dreamlike conclusion.

The Wind in the Willows (a musical in two acts) adapted by Andrew Gordon for Olympia Family Theater, music by Bruce Whitney, lyrics by Daven Tillinghast, Andrew Gordon, and Bruce Whitney, premiered 2012. [16] Yet whilst each of them has an adventurous spirit, and enjoys their various escapades, they all enjoy the sense of having a place of their own to return to. Rat and Badger seem older, and are more set in their ways. They prefer to stay close to their homes, while Mole and Toad want to see as much of the world as they can. Nevertheless, Mole and Toad are also glad to have a home to go to, and which they view with great affection. The closing scenes of the novel reiterate the power of home, with their triumphant return to Toad Hall. Nb - I loved, how the jailer's daughter, clever and perspicacious, eventually befriends the toad and helps him escape from the prison. c) The story. The novel goes up to the point, and everything is happening so fast that yo don't even know what's going to happen next (in my view, this works pretty well when it comes to a horror story). The plot is simple, yet boundless since you can imagine a lot of possible scenarios and get different conclusions about what is going on with the characters and the story from beginning to end.

Social Media

Daniel Mallory Ortberg included the story "Some of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Mr. Toad," which blends Wind in the Willows with the Donald Barthelme short story "Some of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby," in his 2018 collection The Merry Spinster: Tales of Everyday Horror. In Ortberg's retelling, Toad's friends are abusive and use the guise of "rescuing" their friend to justify violence and manipulation. Interestingly, although they are not human, each character represents a certain stage of a human’s life. Badger is the oldest and hence commands the most respect. Rat acts as if he is slightly younger than Badger, (for example, he is more active around his home) but he still seems to be very sensible and quite mature. Mole behaves like a young man just trying to make his way in the world. Sometimes he is quite daring, but he also needs someone to guide him, as he tends to make foolish decisions. Toad’s behaviour, very obviously, is that of a spoiled, immature child. Wind whispered in the Scottish willows first". The Scotsman. 16 April 2005 . Retrieved 26 February 2013. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, a 1949 animated adaptation produced by Walt Disney Productions for RKO Radio Pictures, narrated by Basil Rathbone. One half of the animated feature was based on the unrelated short story, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. we were interlopers, trespassers; we were not welcomed. The sense of unfamiliarity grew upon me as I stood there watching. We touched the frontier of a region where our presence was resented. For a night’s lodging we might perhaps be tolerated; but for a prolonged and inquisitive stay—No! by all the gods of the trees and wilderness, no! We were the first human influences upon this island, and we were not wanted. The willows were against us.”

Alternatively we have the nostalgia of The Leisure Class, our heroes are people who don't have to work, who are so different from ordinary people that they don't even have to be human any more and who can indulge themselves as they see fit - save for the inexplicable unreasonableness of the law. This available in recent collections The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, Roarings from Further Out and in Ancient Sorceries and Other Weird Stories newest reprint of authors stories by The British Library and Penguin books. The Wind in the Willows: short play or musical adaptation for children". David-gooderson.co.uk. 30 July 2005. Archived from the original on 1 July 2013 . Retrieved 17 June 2013. R. S. Hadji, " The 13 Most Terrifying Horror Stories", Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone Magazine, July–August 1983, p. 63. The song "Power Flower" on Stevie Wonder's 1979 album Stevie Wonder's Journey Through "The Secret Life of Plants", co-written with Michael Sembello, mentions "the piper at the gates of dawning".Downton Abbey -- Critical Contexts -- Toad of Toad Hall". Kansas State University . Retrieved 12 August 2021. First published in the authors story collection The listener and Other Stories in 1907, appeared in story anthology Famous Modern Ghost Stories in 1921. Reprinted in various of the authors collections, appeared in pulp magazine Tales of the Uncanny in 1934. Boris Karloff edited and had written an introduction to an anthology named Tales of Terror 1943. T. Kingfisher's 2020 novel, The Hollow Places, is a contemporary interpretation of the evil presence depicted in The Willows. I never read Willows as a child, only as an adult. I admit that while reading it I thought, my goodness, the children I know would never be long-suffering enough to make it through. But then I’d made it through Alice at a very young age just fine, and loved it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment